Notices

Can't keep up with the Mom's thread

Old 12-20-2006, 05:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I just thought I'd remind you that there may be trolls coming to visit SR, so try to ignore comments that seem to be unusually harsh or unnecessary. Seeing us get upset is how they get their thrills.

nyc, I think you're doing great considering everything you're balancing right now. You may want to be extra vigilant when it all starts slowing down so you don't fall into the "time for a reward" category.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

You hang in there and keep the chin up!! You do have a lot on your plate!! But all that points to the special kind of person you must be. What a great example you give to the rest of us who do not have such a big load to carry. (My days are kind of boring in comparison.) Most importantly what a great model you are showing your family!!

It will slow down a bit....because it really can't go any faster!!...Can it?
This season of the year is busy. You are doing great...You can do it!!
Old 12-20-2006, 08:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

NYCGirl...I should have mentioned, but mc do threw me off track...you are doing remarkably well for less than six months sober!

I had been taking college courses for several years while still drinking...actually, I was pretty much majoring in Student Pub, since I would stop there for "a few" before going to class. When I got "D" in both courses, I decided to drop out before they threw me out.

It took me six years in recovery before I had the courage to go back to school. Then it took six years, while working two jobs, to complete a two-year Associate Degree. In the meantime, I decided to quit smoking, too. I lasted on that about two years...until one day after work and before classes I was frantically studying for finals, and just couldn't concentrate. I went up to the cigarette machine and bought a pack...closed my office door, lit up, and crammed myself into earning "A" in both courses. But, I didn't drink, and I did quit smoking (up until now).

Fortunately for me, I was a late bloomer, and my three kids were grown. I quit 32 years of drinking at the age of 48; went back to college at the age of 54; graduated (the oldest in the class) at the age of 60...magna___laude, with my Mom, Daughter, and Granddaughter in the audience. (Now, that's funny...I was edited for typing a "no-no"...guess I should have just said "with high honors.")

So, you see we can do anything we put our minds to...even if it seems to take forever! Just keep pluggin' away, and give yourself a pat on the back!
Old 12-20-2006, 08:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

nyc...i want you to know that i am proud of you...you are an amazing woman and the fact that you are doing so well is an inspiration...

it's so hard to ignore negativity...but we know who our friends are here...and it's difficult not to defend those friends when they are insulted...but i'll try to restrain myself...arg...can't...hold...it...in...much..long er...
Old 12-21-2006, 01:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I am done!!!

I just turned in my paper, I have to my daughter to gymnastics, I'll be back later to chat.

Thanks all for the great support
Old 12-21-2006, 01:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

woo-hoo! way to go!!
Old 12-21-2006, 03:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Old 12-21-2006, 05:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

NYC Girl, you should read "Under the influence" there is a chapter that deals with this very issue in detail. The short version is that your body adapted to using alcohol as its ready source of easy energy... your cells changed to go along with that... you now dont have tht source and have to make do with regular food and it takes time to adapt.

read the chapter, strongly recommend it.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

OOOPS...post disappeared...Grinch must be at work here!

NYC Girl...now, you can breathe a sigh of relief and look forward to enjoying the holiday season. Feels great, doesn't it!?!
Old 12-21-2006, 07:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks again guys, got an A- in Ed law and am waiting for the History of Curric grade,

you all helped get me through it.

Sugah my girls are 9 & 11, I do have them do a lot. Laundry, rooms, vacuum, even bathrooms there is no way I could do it all. I have a large house it just too much sometimes.

Just got done, had to make cookies for the cookie swap tomorrow just threw quick batch of peanut butter cookies together, we almost forgot.. while i was baking I was thinking how last year I would have been to drunk by now you know the deal just getiing in the holiday spirit, and she would have had to buy cookies at WaWa in the morning. She really appreiacited them it made me fell great... you know in the holiday spirit, except without the SKYY... yeah me! Oh wait I'm suposed to be felling sorry for myself lol!

At 4:00 today I was making deviled eggs for my other daughters party. I just sat down and I am beat. Just a half day tomorrow I'll get through.

Hey Levi thanks, I have the book, read in the summer when I first quit, it's probaly about time I go through it again.

Thanks all

Any body know why my editor things like changing fonts and colors isn't working. can't do spell check either and i am a spellcheckaholic!

Good night all I am done!
Old 12-21-2006, 07:51 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

nyc...i'm so proud of you, girl....wtg on your A!!! and being supermom on top of it all...you are an amazing woman...i don't know how you do it...
Old 12-22-2006, 06:52 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thank AZ,

You alway make me so good about myself, your giving me a swelled head.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:04 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

My grades are coming in now, too. Still waiting on one. I just about jumped out of my seat when I saw I got an A- in Spanish. I totally suck at Spanish, but I guess hard work pays off!

Congrats on yours. Fingers crossed & prayers sent on the other. Hope it all goes well and you and your girls have a very Merry Christmas.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 12-22-2006, 01:16 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

i don't know how you do it...
Sheer guts and determination works wonders...a lot of cracking of the old books doesn't hurt either...right, "students"!?! We may be "late bloomers", but we turn into regular old bouquets with a bit of encouragement.

I don't think there's anything more productive than a determined recovering alcoholic/addict! As long as the goals set are realistic, there are no limits to how far and how well we can go.

Something you've always wanted to do? Set some reasonable time lines, make a plan, and get to it!
Old 12-25-2006, 09:09 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Got my grade for my other class it was only a "B" I was dissapointed, but I know I didn't put as much into as I should have. This semester I am going to stick to one class.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:41 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Originally Posted by NYCGirl View Post
Got my grade for my other class it was only a "B" I was dissapointed, but I know I didn't put as much into as I should have. This semester I am going to stick to one class.
Oh, my...we over-achiever alkies! When I told my sister my final GPA (just before graduating), she said, "What course did you get the "B" in, Rae?" How well she knows me!