Notices

How did you discover a sense of spirituality?

Old 09-29-2006, 11:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How did you discover a sense of spirituality?

I'm wanting to develop a sense of spirituality but I don't know how to have faith or anything. How did you all find that? How has it impacted your life? Thanks!
Old 09-29-2006, 11:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Peace begins with a smile

Good topic..

I'll try to be brief. For me it all started with a moment of clarity that drinking and drugging had led me so far from my true self, and that I was apart of what felt like the walking dead. I felt like my soul or my spirit was dying. Since I had no problem believing in something as intangible as a soul or a spirit, but somehow just knew I had one, and that it was dying while my physical body lived on, I became willing to believe in a power greater than myself that I could not understand or see. I "faked" it more or less.. because I was willing to do anything to stay sober. And over time, my faking it turned into me coming to believe that I could achieve a day sober and possibly more through a spiritual relationship with something outside of myself. Since then, it's ever changing, always growing, sometimes going backwards... yet, as long as I'm willing to keep trying and not pick up that first sucker drink.. I know I'm ok and that everything will work itself out.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Remember the movie..Indiana Jones, Search for the Holy Grail?

He reached the point in the cave that he needed step out in faith. What looked like a giant pit with no bottom but when he stepped out, his foot landed on and unseen rock bridge.
We need step out in belief...faith and I tell you, it is there. You can't see it till you step out. Work the steps of recovery and you will see it as well.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I was raised in a religious home.

My drinking lead ne into a dark empty mental space.
My soul had drown from alcohol.

It was a big shock to me when I began AA
and found how spirit based it was.

..It gives me great peace and joy
to have returned to the God of love I had.

I think prayer is the gateway for spirituality.
Pray to be willing and open minded.

Blessings..
Old 09-29-2006, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

I went to India in 95,.....n was amazed at the level of sprituality these people have in there daily lives,....I now love mother India, n all her wonders.!

I fell in love with the level of devotion to commitment,...!

Amazing stuff if your open to see it, .....

Also Buhuddist hold alot of answers on the concept of reality for me...Big stuff...!
Old 09-29-2006, 04:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I never got any 'spiritual awakening' or however ya wanna call it. I'm clean for over a yr, tho.

Marte
Old 09-29-2006, 04:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

WTG Marte...
Old 09-29-2006, 05:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

To me, it comes within your heart. I've seen enough trouble here in the name of religion. Just hope and trust your HP to guide you XX
Old 09-29-2006, 05:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I just don't believe in any kind of spiritual or supernatural realm. That's just who I am. I may be in the minority, but I'm not alone.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
cmc

I'm wanting to develop a sense of spirituality but I don't know how to have faith or anything. How did you all find that? How has it impacted your life? Thanks!
Almost as long as I can remember I have sensed my spiritual side. For me my spirit responds to spiritual things around me. I seek it out and I was this way before I had a defined idea/relationship with my HP. I pray for and seek a spiritual relationship with my HP.
IMO being under the influence of a substance can be a spiritual experience but not of a positive nature. Some people seem to naturally have an awareness of spiritual things and some must put forth more effort to pursue it. How I respond to spiritual things is through my HP and that way only do I choose to be spiritual.
A spiritual feeling is hard to describe, for me it is not of this world- it is supernatural in fact. It is a part of me that 'comes alive' and seems to connect the physical senses, emotional and mental aspects of my being.
I cannot imagine any other way of living- I feel complete.

Last edited by cmc; 09-29-2006 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

There were a few things. I listened to the stories from people in the rooms. I heard them say they'd tried all the same things I tried to turn their lives around, and nothing worked until they became willing to reach out to a HP of their own understanding. I felt the power of this concept working within them, as I believed it unnatural that that many people who were as bad off as I was were productive and sober, living their lives without alcohol/drugs. If it worked for them, perhaps it would work for me.

Something else that was driven home to me, as much in my reading of Emmet Fox as my reading of the Big Book, was that communication with a HP has more than one component. Prayer is when I get to talk. Meditation is when I get to listen. I posted about this in another thread a day or two ago.

I could go on about my own specific spiritual beliefs, but you're looking to develop your own. I think that's important. We can borrow for awhile someone else's, but eventually, if we're open to it, our own will come to call. Try to have some patience, keep your eyes and ears open, and listen at least as much as you talk. If I "ask" my HP a question in prayer, I can't expect the answer unless I shut up long enough to hear it!

Hope that helped.

Peace & Love,
Sugah