Notices

I need advice...

Old 09-23-2006, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need advice...

I was just charged with DWI. This is my 3rd arrest, and I will most likely be convicted. There is a possibility that I will get jail time.

I was in a job search prior to the arrest. I had several offers. After the arrest, I declined the offers citing that I have personal issues to deal with.

I have some additional interviews scheduled. Should I go through with them?

I want to enter a rehab program, but I doubt I can afford it due to my employment situation.

What should I do?
Old 09-23-2006, 09:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Cubbie,

With this being your 3rd DUI arrest, I would expect there would be jail time involved, but what do the laws of North Carolina tell you?

It seems like getting involved in a rehab program is the best thing you could do for yourself right now. If you take another job and don't deal with the issues at hand, it seems like it will catch up with you sooner or later. Dealing with it now and then doing your job hunting would probably be the best way to go. The Salvation Army offers free rehab programs in most cities, maybe you could check that out.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I got a 2nd DWI and had a choice between 2 yrs probation, involving a lot of classes and evaluations and putting a breathalyzer device in my car, which all of this was going to cost a lot o f money and 5 days in jail or 2 weeks in county jail and 2yr license suspension, so I took the 2 weeks in jail and suspended liicense cause with the probation if I screwed it up I would have to go to jail between 6 months to a year and I didnt want to take that chance plus they were going to do drug and alcohol testing once a month. and this is in Texas and I had a pretty good lawyer, the laws might be different in your state-where do yo ulive? I would probably go to the interviews cause you never no what will happen with your case. When do you have to go to court?
Old 09-23-2006, 09:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I live in NC.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do you know the laws of North Carolina and have you spoken to a lawyer about your case?
Old 09-23-2006, 10:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Hey Cubbie, welcome to SR!

First, find the nearest AA meeting and start going at least daily. Get a sponsor. The sooner you start making a "life change" the better all around. Use this time you currently have as wisely as you can.

Second, you didn't mention how long it is until the *first* court date. Whenever it is, in the meantime, you need to eat, somewhere to live, etc. This usually means you need money.

I would continue with the job hunt and try to find something as soon as possible -- the more quickly you can get a source of revenue going, the better. It won't be easy -- many places won't consider you until after the pending legal issues are resolved, but don't give up! If you're honest and can show that you are getting back on the the right path and the employer is interested in your talents and abilities, then they will be willing to work with you. Honesty and communication is the key here.

Also find an attorney if you haven't already. An attorney can tell you how to best prepare yourself for court -- what to do between now and then -- and he will make all the difference when the court date does arrive. He can also help you with getting the date moved to give you more preparation time if that is appropriate.

The main point I'm trying to make here is DON'T lay down and "die". Where you're at right now isn't a good place, but it will pass with time and effort -- you CAN pull yourself out of it if you TRY! Pray every day and ask God for help.

You can do it! ... YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!
Old 09-23-2006, 11:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have talked to an attorney. However, he did not seem interested in answering my questions. He presented possible alternatives for jail time, but I didn't get a chance to ask him about my employment situation.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Cubbie,

This is important for your future and I would strongly suggest that you find another lawyer as soon as possible. It makes sense to take care of yourself at this time, in every way. That is part of the recovery process. Do what you need to do to pay for your actions, but get the best legal advice you can.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GreenTea
Hey Cubbie, welcome to SR!

First, find the nearest AA meeting and start going at least daily. Get a sponsor. The sooner you start making a "life change" the better all around. Use this time you currently have as wisely as you can.

Second, you didn't mention how long it is until the *first* court date. Whenever it is, in the meantime, you need to eat, somewhere to live, etc. This usually means you need money.

I would continue with the job hunt and try to find something as soon as possible -- the more quickly you can get a source of revenue going, the better. It won't be easy -- many places won't consider you until after the pending legal issues are resolved, but don't give up! If you're honest and can show that you are getting back on the the right path and the employer is interested in your talents and abilities, then they will be willing to work with you. Honesty and communication is the key here.

Also find an attorney if you haven't already. An attorney can tell you how to best prepare yourself for court -- what to do between now and then -- and he will make all the difference when the court date does arrive. He can also help you with getting the date moved to give you more preparation time if that is appropriate.

The main point I'm trying to make here is DON'T lay down and "die". Where you're at right now isn't a good place, but it will pass with time and effort -- you CAN pull yourself out of it if you TRY! Pray every day and ask God for help.

You can do it! ... YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!
Thanks. People are still calling me about jobs. I am afraid that disclosing the details of my situation will be career suicide. I don't want these people to know abou my situation because I think I will be black balled upon completion of a treatment program. I'm not sure that any of my potential employers will be willing to work with me since I am applying for positions with extensive client contact.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My boyfriend has six DWI' NO Jail time. He should have jail time.
But his laywer must be good. Anyhow. He's in debt out the yang yoo.
But he had to do house arrest. He is on probabtion for ayear. He has a curfew for a year and he has to be in every night by 10:00. He has to be tested everday for a year. So, there are options. He's from Missouri.

Anyway, right now he has about 64 days and I have 34.

Good luck.
From what I understand, they handle everyone differently.

My guy is very very very very lucky. One he did not have one accident out of those six DWI's and two no jail time. His license is gone. 10 years before he can get it back. If he screws up he has up to 10 to 15 years in jail.

Good luck