Notices

what happens when you wont help yourself?

Old 09-13-2006, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what happens when you wont help yourself?

i should get help..ive known that for 3 years.
but i hate aa(where i live esp.)as its clique-ie-reminds me of high school...
no one will talk to me........
ive been to counsellors too,but,recently after a very brief spell of 'o-k ness'(i wont say just sobriety...as it also means not hating on myself so much)my only family truly went over the edge (alcoholic/drunk stuff)
im 23 and ive ive given up......i can say a car is silver as truthfully as i can say i should not be here.
i wanted to go to a rehab but cannot stand didactic,'were better than you-you little 5 year old twirp' crap...
i dont know..i was going to 'go it alone ' but time has proven i cant....
i have a sober na friend interstate....mabye....no..she works

bye
Old 09-13-2006, 07:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tashna hello. I know exactly how you feel. I find AA the same way clicky and stuff. But I'm just going to listen.

I only have 21 days and I've been trying to quit since 1993. I"m 40.

Hang on and stick around here. People are really nice and will listen to you and give you some good advice.

This is hard. I'm trying with you. YOu are not alone.

Ive spent over $35,000 in counseling and meds. I'm going to try this.

Stick around here. Okay
Old 09-13-2006, 08:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tashna Got your PM. Where did you go.
Don't worry if a lot of people don't respond to you right away. It hurt my feelings in the beginning to. I just found out that people are all on here at different times and are under other threads. Give it time. You'll get alot of information here.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

(( tashna ))) Your experience with AA is way too common. Here's my take on some AA groups. They were bar drinkers. So they sat at the bar and had a group of friends that also sat at the bar. That's the limit of the people they can talk too. They don't see the newcomer standing all by herself.. they don't invite them to coffee or give them a phone number. They are still seeing their meetings in the same light they did their bar mates. It took me years to get into AA because it seemed I was invisible. Even making coffee, even doing the literature hardly anyone ever talked to me. Sometimes a guy would help me empty the huge coffee maker and that was it. No one even helped me put away the chairs. I still hate that meeting!!!

But being determined to stay sober I took what I wanted and I left that meeting's sorry azz behind. I found a smaller meeting where I was more welcome and my input was significant to others. I did eventually find a sponsor. I worked the steps and those steps saved my butt. I have learned to be a reasonably good person to myself as well as others. Having had addicts for parents I needed a good set of rules to live by and learning where I was inconsiderate, selfish and dishonest was just the start I needed.

I hope you'll find another meeting.. maybe smaller where your little newcomer status will be seen as it should be. We in AA are supposedly at meetings for the newcomers (primary purpose) and I wish it wasn't forgotten so much, but I suppose it's just human nature.

Hope you'll stick around here!
Old 09-13-2006, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The problem with AA is that it's filled with a bunch of drunks. But that's what's also good about it.

Few people recover without some sort of group, and AA is the most accessible. There are also a few meetings of LifeRing and SMART Recovery around. AA was pretty much it when I got sober, but all I knew was that my life was a mess, and I'd give it a shot one day at a time for three months. I found it bizarre, but I kind of like bizarre. Not that it didn't push my buttons.

There are great differences in meetings. I like the small ones best, where people tend to be a bit more honest and less like they're on the lecture circuit. Some people find a lot of recovery straight out of the Big Book; others mix it up with other resources. Early on it's best to just show up and give sobriety a chance; eventually I found reading outside literature helpful (check out Beyond the Influence). I also eventually found a spiritual path that's quite different than AA's approach, but still involves learning how to live with me and open myself up to different answers than the ones that got me into trouble.

You might give it a shot.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is a link for you...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

Take care
Old 09-13-2006, 10:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi there! Welcome to SR. This is a great place to start your journey.It is very exciting filled with ups and downs. But, you dont have to do it alone. We all share something in common....addiction. Keep posting and like michksi said, find a meeting that is right for you. They are all different actually. One can be annoying the next might be your ticket to homeland.

Star
Old 09-13-2006, 02:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

and recovery has alot of lanes today.
i found my home in na.
just keep looking
Old 09-13-2006, 03:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OnceNice
Tashna hello. I know exactly how you feel. I find AA the same way clicky and stuff. But I'm just going to listen.

I only have 21 days and I've been trying to quit since 1993. I"m 40.

Hang on and stick around here. People are really nice and will listen to you and give you some good advice.

This is hard. I'm trying with you. YOu are not alone.

Ive spent over $35,000 in counseling and meds. I'm going to try this.

Stick around here. Okay
Wow since 1993, you're strong, I'd have quit trying by now... I admire your consistency and effort, keep it up, and let's pray it works this time.