Notices

just when I thought It was better...

Old 08-31-2006, 08:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sorry you're going through this sweetie..... I'm sending you healing hugs!!
Old 08-31-2006, 09:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Keeper of the Stars

Red face

Smyle........

I wouldn't recommend Ultram (tramadol).............it has opoid like qualities, and as you can read from other threads in NA and substance abuse, it can be highly addictive and abused. It's also very dangerous when taken in large quantities (seizure and coma potential).

Toradol is a pretty safe bet for a pain medication.........it is non-narcotic and offers anti-inflammatory properties also.

Take control (I know.......most of the time we are saying give up control) of your medical care and be the 'educated' one in your health care. Doctors DO NOT receive much training on pain control or addiction...........we've been there and done that..........we have to TEACH them what works for us and what doesn't. I hope your orthopod is a little more versed on addiction than your GP.

Another thought you might want to keep...................you DON'T have to be on narcotic pain medication after surgery. There are other options. It was always nice for me when either my sponsor or some one else with significant experience stayed with me right after surgery and/or a couple days after. Just like your own personal cheering section! If you are serious, it can be done!
Old 09-01-2006, 08:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good morning, Smyle--

I hope you're doing OK today. It looks like lots of folks chimed in with good advice on pain relief.

I only found a little info, and I'm not sure it'll be much help anyway. There's homeopathy, and it looks like some people have good results with Arnica. http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsHerbs/Arnicach.html

I also found some info on cortisone injections: http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/pain.../cortisone.htm

Take care,
Jane
Old 09-01-2006, 10:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

I have a rotator cuff tear and fibromyalgia with bouts of bursitis in the shoulder too. I am also ana ddiction survivor...twenty years, hardcore pill head. I have had to use narcotic pain meds for the sever pain but can manage many days with tylenol or advil, ice/heat, therapy herlped mine awhile, they mentioned surgery I could try....said no to that.......we all havew different experiences with addiction, and Iknow I used hydro's and other narcs til they almost killed me.. but when i fixed my head, my thinking, I do alright, I can treat my pain and be oKAY....for me it isn't once an addict always an addict, no more than a recovered cancer patient having to get cancer again...but all I can share is my experience with addiction and pain management. Best of luck to you.................I really feel for you, and it is tough at first, when newly clean to be tempted with more, trust YOUR gut.it'll let ya know. hugs!
Old 09-01-2006, 05:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

i cannot type to well....i got a lidocaine / cortisone shot and am in a sling....they will check me again thur..... it hurts and i am cranky....thanks for all the links and kind words... my h is home for 3 days so he can help me out around here....i am going back to lay down...

jane birdy is doing great...i am teaching her how to use the feeder...she is catching on.....thanks again for the links..

2stop--you always have amazing advice....knowing someone has used 20 yrs and staying clean is hopeful....i used for 20 and am not going back to that. i appreciate your ESH....

COUCH BOUND......i could get used to this LOL
`B