Notices

just when I thought It was better...

Old 08-31-2006, 03:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry just when I thought It was better...

Man..... I just got back from the Dr, I have been in pain for like 3 weeks, my shoulder was really buggin me. I refrain from seeing Dr's cause I do not trust myself...but I have been miserable the last week.....So I go and he thinks I have torn my rotaters cuff...spelled wrong I'm sure...

He does not have the equipment to tell me for sure so I will be getting some other tests done....

I have been taking Ibu and it has not helped so he wants to give me some Norco...MY FAVORITE...I explain my dilema...I will have 90 days tomorrow..He says he understands and says try naproxen yada yada...but he went ahead and called it in to the pharmacy....he says just in case..

I want to cry because i hurt and because I don't want to get on that crap again.....He says if i have surgery I will have to take it , I will need it for the pain... I am just sick...unbelievable...

and I am mad at myself for abusing it when I never needed it and now that I need it I feel like i can't have it .....freaking disease....

I will know more tomorrow...for now though NO NORCO !!! I will tough it out and keep my arm in the sling...

Thanks for letting me rant.....
Peace ~B
Old 08-31-2006, 03:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How the heck can a doctor prescribe you something that you have worked so hard to stay away from. Can you get a new doctor.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

actually No...I just switched to him cause we moved and cannot switch again....I will talk to the orthopedic guy tomorrow...he will be better informed I hope. I know I thought it was crazy too....i hate Dr's...

Also no one ever prescribed me the Norco before...i got it elsewhere so it is not in my records ...I do not think they realize how bad i was...even when I tell them....
Old 08-31-2006, 03:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, dangit Smyle. I'm sorry this is happening to you now. I wish I could offer something helpful but I don't know what to say.

Please know I'll be thinking of you. (Heck, I think I'll go on an online expedition to find out about drug-free pain relief. Maybe I'll find something that can help you.)

Hugs,
Jane
Old 08-31-2006, 03:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

And another thing. I CAN'T STAND IT when others minimize our problems with alcohol or drugs! Don't they believe us when we level with them?

Grrrrr.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for saying that about the minimizing....he looked at me and was like well you won't be on them for very long... I was thinking yah that's what you think....just get me started and I will be on them again until they kill me..

I guess Dr think they are the only access to drugs.... I am doing okay, just took a hot bath....and used some aspercreme....thanks jane....
Old 08-31-2006, 03:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh Smyle....
I'm so sorry...I too wonder how I'll cope with severe pain when it comes again.
Don't know what Norco is, but I've had every brand of oxycodone there is and I don't want to go there again.
sending many soothing and healing thoughts your way,
Fred
Old 08-31-2006, 03:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Norco is hydrocodone...a cousin to oxycodone...

Thanks for the soothing thoughts......I am already feeling better...
Old 08-31-2006, 03:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi smyle. 90 days clean time is GOOD. 90 DAYS...say it..! 90 DAYS....that's a few one days at a time collected to get where u r today..tomorrow.....but u know ..tomorrow isnt here yet....so just say TODAY. : )

You are doing right...i would have to say in my opinion....there r obtions, choices u can make.....and the choice to explain to ur Doctor about ur recovery was good. Then he suggested Naperoson(SP)? I would take take that if i were in ur shoes instead of something that would be addicting or habit forming. A heating pad helps and so does ur aspricreme... Warm or cold compresses and just taking it easy.

You'll be fine as you continue to take ur recovery seriously today.

Say ur prayers to ur HP for help, care, guidance, comfort during this trying time. I know ur not suppose to pray for anything for urself..selfishly, so I just say Thy Will Be Done. How's that? : )

Take care of urself.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I too was addicted to Norco. Does he know the extent of your addiction?? Maybe you should call the pharmacy and cancel the prescription, that is just too tempting. I am on day 66, and I would have a tough time turning that down. Like they say 1 is too many and 100 is not enough. Ask him for a non-narcotic pain reliever and see if that helps you.

DON"T COMPROMISE YOUR 90 DAYS!!!!!!

Christie
Old 08-31-2006, 04:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks and yes i will be trying non narcotic...i explained my addiction but again he minimizd it....I won't pick the script up ...no matter how bad I hurt...
Old 08-31-2006, 04:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've been using Ultram (tramadol) since I was 3 months clean and sober. Just cuz I'm a drunk and addict doesn't mean I am condemned to a life of pain. They are not as effective as vicodin or oxy but they don't get me high either. In fact I can do my work on them quite well... no nod.

Hope you find some relief. Congrats on your 90 days!! That is an awesome accomplishment!!!!!!

Old 08-31-2006, 04:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Pain meds have never been a problem for me...but I can easily see how they can be. I was always the idiot looking on the pill bottle for my four favorite words.."alcohol may intensify effect"!

Anyway...I had rotator cuff surgery two years ago. I was lucky that the dr. was able to do it arthoscopoly (or what EVER that word is!) I think I was given percocet. Knowing my addictive pattern, I took only half of one of those with 2 ibuprofens. But I am the biggest weiner ever when it comes to pain....the good news I'm trying to get to is that they also put me in this brace type contraption that hooks up to a cooler that you fill with ice water and it drains into the brace. Every time I would fill that baby up, feeling that ice water hit my shoulder...ahh..much better than the drugs! I heard horror stories about the surgery and was scared to death....so if a weinie like me got thru it...I think you'll be fine. Ice water, ice water, ice water. Hmm...a free, safe, and easily accessible pain med. Imagine that!! Let's just hope doctors don't start getting kickbacks from the water company too!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 05:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
cmc

Smyle,
Sorry the doctor is not listening to you... my hubby is in recovery and when he needs meds uses the ultram- but I have read of people on SR who abuse that one too. It is a difficult situation for many.
One thing he was told not to use on the area was heat. Not even after the surgery. Ice was the best thing. You don't even know if you need surgery yet- if not and it can heal up- ice will help with that too.
You can make a few ice packs that will cover the area by filling a ziplock with ice and some water, then freeze it draped over something about the size of your shoulder like a small rolled up towel. (Using a bag of peas won't get cold enough to get through to the joint.)
I hope you will not need the surgery... just rest and some therapy works for some.
take care!
ps- OT... how's the birdie?
Old 08-31-2006, 06:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Smyle...

I faced a similar situation when I was right about 90 days. I crushed my lower leg. There was no getting around pain relief -- and I was fortunate to have both a doctor and a nurse at the out-of-state clinic where I was shipped (my small-town hospital couldn't handle the reconstructive surgery) who were in recover. I was put on a pain pump, and I didn't want any more than the slow drip it gave me every hour, but I rolled on the bed in pain. They would come in and push the button for me, telling me that if I didn't let them take care of my pain, I'd be desperate when I got out to deal with it in any way possible -- probably all the wrong ways.

I surrounded, and I mean surrounded, myself with program folks. When I was in the hospital, I called and talked to someone in recovery every waking moment that wasn't spent talking to my kids. When I got home, with something much milder, I set up all kinds of accountability checks. I got through it. I quit taking the meds when I still had pain, but with my conditions, there's always pain, so it just helped me to increase my tolerance (destroyed, btw, from years of opiate abuse) and I never lost my clean date. Maybe dates aren't important, but my level of recovery was very important to me, and I was able to maintain it.

My sponsor gave me the best suggestions of all the many I received: start praying and keep praying. Keep the faith. Stay honest. Stay rigorously honest.

Life continues to happen, even when we get clean, and some parts of life are more challenging than others. I will keep you in my prayers, and I suggest you start praying for some strength and guidance yourself. Do that, and I believe you'll be okay.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 08-31-2006, 06:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Sorry to hear about your situation I will keep you in my thoughts. That is so hard it has to be, but I know also that if you keep doing what you have to do to get where you want to get it will all work out for the best. Does that even make sense

Love Vic
Old 08-31-2006, 06:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks to all... I have been using Ice packs and resting....

The birdie is fine and she will be on her own tomorrow...she has come so far !!!! flying like an ace !! I am so proud yet sad to see her go....but she is ready....

thanks again you guys... I am hoping it is just sore and not an issue...staying positive here....
Old 08-31-2006, 06:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

yes Vic that makes sense ....
Old 08-31-2006, 06:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

One more thing in the case of surgery...my dr. also put a tube in one of my incisions that continually dripped numbing (non-narcotic) medicine into my shoulder. I had that thru the 3 worst days. Hopefully it's something a little rest and therapy will take care of. I'm not trying to be all gloom and doom, just wanted to let you know my experiences and the drug free alternatives that were availalbe to me. Keep us posted, ok?
Old 08-31-2006, 07:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

thanks Ruby.....I appreciate the input....