Notices

180 Day Challenge Part 11

Old 04-05-2024, 01:37 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Evening here

Pline - sorry things have been stressful, I'm glad that you experienced some family support and that everything seems to have worked out for your friend in the Phils.

dickensen - hope the replacement canvas serves you well. Glad you are getting good rain.

advbike - your hike sounded lovely, I sure miss hiking.

Peke - it's lovely to have you here with us!

five tries - they say time flies when your having fun so I guess that means your doing really good.

Having good productive, balanced days here. Recently spoiled myself with a fancy new winter coat as im now having to leave the house, well the garden I should say 🤣, and winter is coming 😱. Lovely day today alternating outside and inside activities between the rain. Its stopped and now listening to the crickets 🥰.
Best wishes to everyone.
Old 04-05-2024, 02:14 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Thank you Zura!
I feel safe in this section.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:57 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Today I teach at the bridge class for duplicate players. I am seeing green shoots of progress (and hope) in the players. Sobriety has helped improve the quality of the class.
Old 04-05-2024, 02:23 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
over hung over

Thanks.
We got home ok. With a big bag of donuts for the kids.
The meds bill on the way out was a shocker. But anyway. They're probably charging what they have to pay to get them.
Its a tough world up there.....I think of it as second world. There are first world bits, areas, services. If you can pay for them. Medical is cash up front, if you are lucky enough to be able to put cash on the counter, the care is great.
But I live in a country that has a still has a semi functioning public health system, which is maybe why its confronting.

So. Much to think about.
Tonite, we turn our clocks back an hour. So for a little while it will be suddenly lighter in the mornings again. Then the days shorten and we go into winter. The trees outside are starting to turn, there are leaves blowing around on the stairs already.
Winter here can be long and grey.
But there is stuff to do and someone to talk to about the store and what we're doing and what happened today. It will get better.
Old 04-05-2024, 03:10 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some posts have been removed as they refer to a post no longer there.
It's part of a clean up process across several threads.

Lets move on - this thread runs well without much involvement from me and with no drama.
I'd love to keep it that way.

D
Old 04-06-2024, 12:33 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

How is your garden coming along, Zura?
Pline, our winters are pretty grey too. We don’t get a lot of snow though. But the days are often very overcast/bleak. Hope you’re doing okay.
My friend’s husband bladder cancer has come back. I will be taking their dog after his surgery so that my friend can focus on her husband’s recovery. He was responding well to the surgery/chemo. But unfortunately several small tumors are back again. He’ll have a catheter for this round and so I’ll help them get groceries, prescriptions etc. (My friend just had rotator cuff surgery so she’s been healing and can’t lift very much).
We have our club ride tomorrow morning. I’m hoping to get back to lifting weights soon.
Have a good night everyone.
Old 04-06-2024, 11:33 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Today was a great day in Florida. A cool but not cold morning, no wind or rain, and a pleasantly warm afternoon. I fixed the file cabinet drawer that was falling apart and got another coat of varnish on my cousin's violin. I need to sort through the rest of the file drawers and get rid of unneeded papers before more drawers fall apart.
Old 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Lets move on - this thread runs well without much involvement from me and with no drama.
I'd love to keep it that way.
D
Fine. I'll move on, it will be best this way.
I also have some personal matters that I need to focus on.

Thank you all for your unfailing support.
May you have fair winds and following seas.
And always.. to thine own self be true.

I love you all.

-Adv
Old 04-06-2024, 12:30 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't stay away too long Adv. - you’ll be missed.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 04-06-2024 at 03:46 PM. Reason: nvm
Old 04-07-2024, 01:37 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Evening here

dickensen - its great your seeing progress in the bridge playing in your class. Sounds like you also had a productive fix it day.

Pline - glad things are settling down, glad your occupied and have company. I only realised this morning the clocks must have gone back as yesterday it was still somewhat dark at 7am, where as this morning it was getting light at about 6.20am. All digital clocks here that adjust themselves.

Peke - it's autumn here so im harvesting the last of the warm weather crops and getting rid of the spent plants. Normally I'd also be planting an autumn harvest but as im rearranging my garden beds I'm not planting this season, although im thinking of putting in some peas and lettuce. It's a big project I have going on so not doing the usual garlic and onion plantings as they take nine months and i will be moving beds around.

It's so lovely that your helping your friend out, sorry to hear about their health struggles.

Advbike - hope your doing ok.

Busy day here, worked away for 12 hours gardening, cooking, doing chores, deep cleaning the lounge room and spackling a few wall holes. My body is grateful its knock off time tonight.

Best wishes everyone ❤️.
Old 04-07-2024, 03:36 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
over hung over

Game over for the 180 day thread?
Old 04-07-2024, 06:22 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Zura- wow I’m getting tired just reading all of this! Especially the part about gardening. so do you rearrange the garden beds to allow the new crops to grow more effectively? I’m sure this is gardening one01 but I don’t know very much about it. I would love to grow some basic vegetables. I live in Western Washington, and the climate is so conducive to growing anything! I think the only thing we really have to worry about our deer. But I’m just too intimidated, even growing a few herbs would be lovely. It sounds like you have incredibly busy day in front of you!
Pline- no idea how this works. I will miss Advbike.
Old 04-07-2024, 09:13 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

One step forward and one step back on the violins. I had this brilliant idea to cure the varnish on my cousin's violin by putting it in the sun. There are no strings on the violin so the sun caused the top plate to expand resulting in the sound post becoming dislodged. I have a tool to rest the post. The wonders of being an amateur! But on a positive note, another violin had a hole in the side from being dropped. I filed the ragged edges straight and plan to fill the hole with a piece of walnut veneer. That's the plan. We'll see how it goes.
Old 04-07-2024, 01:15 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by pline View Post
Game over for the 180 day thread?
It’s a group thread and always has been.

People are still posting as usual.
The thread obviously fills a need.

Carry on, peeps.

D
Old 04-08-2024, 04:46 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Today I work on a patch for the violin side hole. I need a good cut and side ledges to position the patch. The veneer material is only .070 inch (1.8 mm) thick so I need to be careful.

Old 04-08-2024, 01:42 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
over hung over

Dickenson
How do you hold the patch in place?
Assuming it has to be flush with the existing case.
Old 04-08-2024, 03:29 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Morning here,

Peke - I'm just rearranging my set up. For soil health I usually just top up the existing beds with organic soil, and keep them well mulched. Absolutely no need to be intimidated growing anything, but im very its about the process not the outcome. Every year something doesn't do well or fails all together but that the nature of well nature lol. Herbs are a great place to start.

Dickensen - sounds like a tricky repair!

Need coffee ☕️ late start to the day for me.
Old 04-09-2024, 12:01 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Pline the patches are held with glue. Making a perfect blend with the curvature and mating of the patches is an issue. One glue will fill better than the other. The owner is coming over this afternoon to talk about it. But I also have some wood putty coming from Amazon. Maybe the putty will fill and also work as a glue to retain the patches.
Old 04-09-2024, 06:59 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

I dunno what went on here, which is probably for the best, but Adv, if you're reading this--love ya and hope you come back. You've been a great example and a help for me .

And on the opposite side of the world from Pline and Zura, it's spring here in Pennsylvania. Like incredibly beautiful.
There's a poem in the Lord of Rings that has the lines-
"In every wood in every spring there is a different green"
I love that poem and I love Pennsylvania springtimes. I don't think I could move away from this. And I'm so glad I'm sober to really appreciate it.

Anyway that's me being all introspective!

Old 04-09-2024, 10:13 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Zura, thanks for the explanation. I would love to start a small herb garden. We live in a climate that’s so conducive to growing flowers, vegetables…anything and everything. I went with my friend to help her get some strawberry plants and various herbs (she just had shoulder surgery). I read a lot of different directions on how to grow the plants. It doesn’t seem too hard. We have a lot of deer so that’s something to consider I guess. I bought a few plants with small blue flowers. I had planted them years ago, but they died in the snow earlier this year. I will replant them. I will let you know the name.
Sam, I remember spring in PA. The forcythia (spelling?). We don’t get a lot of butterflies here. But I remember them from PA. So lovely.

Today is day 89.