Notices

Class of July 2023 Support Thread Part 1

Old 07-14-2023, 09:18 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by countrystix View Post
Congratulations on the days RunnerF, Zencat, and Citrus!

LazaB, I took a fall a few months back in the woods. Blacked out in a mud puddle. Cracked some ribs and had a cut on my face. No idea what happened, I just laid out there for a long time. I'm probably lucky something worse didn't happen. That was part of the realization I must stop. LOL, like I didn't know before that.

I'm finding myself angry today. I'm not 100% sure why, although I think it's primarily directed at myself. So much lost time. Trying to catch up with everything now and it seems overwhelming at times.
Dang 6! I can relate. Broke my ankle in 2 spots just blacked out in 2020.

I experience that anger every once in awhile to. I read somewhere our brains are overdoing it in early sobriety trying to deal w any emotions. Misfires all over the place. So emotions can seem exacerbated and unreasonable. Keep truckin!
Old 07-14-2023, 01:26 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BassetDog View Post
Thanks for reaching out and for the offer! I have talked with PCP about anxiety and have tried a couple different meds over a number of years. I find what works best for my anxiety is (1) staying sober and then (2) self-care like: breathing techniques, meditation, eating right, limiting caffeine, engaging in hobbies. The anxiety meds I tried all had really unpleasant side effects so I’m not super interested in that route at this time. I honestly appreciate your offer though!!!
So, I've not been on the site all week, but I'm still sober, day 88. I'm still catching up on all the posts but I just wanted to say that I had a horrible reaction to a different anxiety drug last weekend and I never want to go through that again. Unless there is something I'm missing but so far everything I've tried has some really terrible side effects (for me, I realize everyone is different and lord knows people have great results--thankfully for them) so I am also in the camp of using the same methods you mention, Basset. I made myself run this week, on two days that I really wanted to do anything but that and what a difference running made.
Old 07-14-2023, 01:36 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Wow, Laza's story about the drunk person outside the window and Five's drunk woman at the airport are both sad and also cautionary tales.

I did break my thumb once playing stupid drunken games which landed me and my ex boyfriend in the ER at midnight. However, I may have done the same sober, I'm pretty competitive and wanted to win the game, ha ha.

So glad to see you Citrus
Old 07-14-2023, 02:09 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
So, I've not been on the site all week, but I'm still sober, day 88. .
Nice job on 88 days samwitch!
Old 07-14-2023, 02:22 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Congrats on 88 days Sam! Great to hear from you! Sorry about the reaction to the meds. I’ve tried several different meds and I’m always excited thinking that this will be the one that solves the problem only to end up being overwhelmed by bad side effects.

Country and OTM - a few years back I took a fall down the steps while hammered (I was drunk and for some reason thought I should carry a bunch of boxes up from the basement). I also cracked a rib. Scary that fall didn’t get me to sober up.

I am checking in to commit to 24 more hours sober. I’m done with work for the day and the AV is ramping up now it’s the weekend. I’m not going to listen to it today though. I plan on hitting the gym tonight instead and then continue watching Succession once the kids go to bed.

Have a great rest of your day all! No poison for me tonight.
Old 07-14-2023, 02:24 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Thanks Country!

Good call, Basset, no poison allowed.
Old 07-14-2023, 03:44 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LazaB View Post
Today i was woken up by a sound of people asking someone if he is ok on the street , my windows were open because it's very hot in Serbia so i could hear everything on the street. I heard the response of a clearly drunk person , he was saying that he was okay , so i got up from my bed and looked outside and he was just lying on ground right next to the sidewalk. My friend who lives across the street was looking through his window and he told me that he called an ambulance , the drunk guy heard him and he kept saying " no ambulance , i'm fine , i'm 55 years old. " Nobody asked him how old he was btw , he was so drunk at 6:30 am that he couldn't even sit upright on the street. Ambulance came after 30-45 minutes ( because a drunk guy on the street is not a priority ) and they were very nice to him , asked him to come and get a scan of his head ( because he hit his head on the ground ) , he didn't want to go but they very nicely helped him up and put him in the ambulance car and drove away ( in Serbia healthcare is free so he won't even have to pay for anything ) , this was a nice little reminder of where i can go if i am not careful.
So this was basically me in May, although I was in my home, and not one but two ambulances were called out (apparently I 'successfully' sent the first one away). I didn't pay financially (NHS) but I paid in other ways.

I don't feel great about this but on the plus side tomorrow I will be eight weeks sober.
Old 07-14-2023, 03:57 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to hear from you Sam - sorry to hear about the med, but congrats on 88 days.
Hope everyone has a great, sober weekend

D
Old 07-14-2023, 04:05 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I have had my fair share of doped-up falls and crap. Slipped between the dock and the boat cracked a rib. I passed out on the ship and woke up in screaming pain. Stupidizing alcohol and dope has kicked my ass far more than once and I still picked up again. The madness of it all can be hard to take in now I am sober. No more using is my only way out of future insanity.

I see peeps stringing some sober days together, nice going. Your staying sober helps me stay sober. A big thank you for that.

Hi Sam
Happy Saturday Dee.

Old 07-15-2023, 03:23 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 286.
Old 07-15-2023, 07:43 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Waking up sober on day 196
Old 07-15-2023, 08:25 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Starting day 22 today!
Old 07-15-2023, 09:14 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Not picking up that first drug for 10 months and 17 days.
Old 07-15-2023, 09:35 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Here for sober Saturday on day 16. 💜
Old 07-15-2023, 12:07 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Congrats to all for another day sober! I’m committed to 24 more hours poison free on this rainy Saturday afternoon.
Old 07-15-2023, 07:45 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

In bed sober as a judge...
Hope everyone is having a nice weekend
Old 07-16-2023, 02:58 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Congratulations to all here on continuing sobriety. I am practicing sobriety as well, I say practicing because one never is cured of addiction it is merely in remission. That fact that has taken until now, at 63, to learn and accept is paramount to my staying sober. I just don’t drink or drug no matter what. Everything else will be better if I remember and practice that.

Pledging for today. Day 287.
Old 07-16-2023, 03:49 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Let us feel You
Like the softest beeeze
Ruffling the surface
Of a pastel mirror

Help us let go
Surrender
Set down
Subtract

The layers of separation
Beliefs, barriers
Until nothing is left
But Your soft touch

Let us walk with the breeze
With the glorious Light
Let us become the pastel mirror
Reflecting Your Love

Happy Sunday, All

Old 07-16-2023, 04:47 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

That's beautiful, Freeowl.
I am up nice and early headed to Banff with my family. Feeling grateful. Sober day 197.
Old 07-16-2023, 05:41 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FiveTries View Post
That's beautiful, Freeowl.
I am up nice and early headed to Banff with my family. Feeling grateful. Sober day 197.
have a beautiful sober day, FT