Notices

Class Of February 2022 Part Two

Old 02-27-2022, 07:59 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I've been to inpatient rehab, done therapy, AA with 2 different sponsor, a supportive doctor. Had 2 long periods of sobriety. I just don't want to work in a factory or sell cars. Im university educated and was an equity trader fir a large brokerage firm. My career in finance was ruined over 10.years ago. That is all I knew. I've done everything since. Even sold debit machines over the phone. That's a lot of "DO".
Dude, none of these is an excuse to drink. Alcohol is a depressant and it makes sure it keeps us in a dark, hopeless pit. Forget about doing anything, for the sake of your health, give yourself a break.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:38 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Congrats BTG. I hope your husband can realize that behavior is not good.
Old 02-27-2022, 10:03 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by calmself View Post
Dude, none of these is an excuse to drink. Alcohol is a depressant and it makes sure it keeps us in a dark, hopeless pit. Forget about doing anything, for the sake of your health, give yourself a break.
I have to clear something up for everyone on this forum. When the term "depressant' is used to describe alcohol, it is not referring to the mental health condition of 'depression'. Alcohol is a Central Nervous System depressant. That is what is meant from a medical science standpoint. Sure, you will be depressed by drinking too much, but not what depressant means. I bring this up because too many times I've seen people use the term incorrectly.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:13 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

On another note, I am in the clean up process after my last bender. Today I returned 64 glass bottles for deposit. I walked 2km to the store carrying them. Far heavier than I expected even though empty. Had to stop several times to rest along the way. Still have to make another trip but this one much lighter load
Old 02-27-2022, 10:35 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

I have to clear something up for everyone on this forum. When the term "depressant' is used to describe alcohol, it is not referring to the mental health condition of 'depression'. Alcohol is a Central Nervous System depressant. That is what is meant from a medical science standpoint. Sure, you will be depressed by drinking too much, but not what depressant means. I bring this up because too many times I've seen people use the term incorrectly.
It is not as simple as that. Alcohol lowers mood stabilizing hormones (Serotonin, serotonin and norepinephrine). This makes alcoholics more depressed. It squeezes out dopamine for no reason artificially increasing receptors. When they are not satisfied soon, they will create artificial stress or excuses so they can live. Combine this with lack of quality sleep to depress the mood further and you have a full on depressant.
Old 02-27-2022, 12:19 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by calmself View Post
It is not as simple as that. Alcohol lowers mood stabilizing hormones (Serotonin, serotonin and norepinephrine). This makes alcoholics more depressed. It squeezes out dopamine for no reason artificially increasing receptors. When they are not satisfied soon, they will create artificial stress or excuses so they can live. Combine this with lack of quality sleep to depress the mood further and you have a full on depressant.
Again, its not about mood. Mood can surely be affected. People will get drunk and have their CNS depressed but wake up with a hangover but mood is fine.
Old 02-27-2022, 12:29 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

On another note, I am in the clean up process after my last bender. Today I returned 64 glass bottles for deposit. I walked 2km to the store carrying them. Far heavier than I expected even though empty. Had to stop several times to rest along the way. Still have to make another trip but this one much lighter load
Good work on the clean up! My recycling bin has been very empty for the last three weeks...unbelievable how many cans I was getting through
Old 02-27-2022, 12:31 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Evening all. End of day 22.

Alcohol is a side issue for me. I spend my days making sure I do not drink but that's not an end in itself. I want to be whole again. I want to lose the anxiety, to learn to be happy, to enjoy the simple things I used to.

Its a work in progress and I know that if I take one drink I'd have to start again. That's why I'm never drinking again. Not tomorrow, not ever.

Night all
Old 02-27-2022, 01:50 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

I suppose, for the sake of keeping things cordial amongst our lovely classmates, we may agree that the kind of drinking we all did( and what brought us to this amazing forum,) led to many, many problems. Alcohol is no good for us!

WL, good job on the clean up, and a workout to boot!

Be, it's funny, I was just thinking this afternoon that it's such a relief not to have to gather empty wine and gin bottles and haul them (,by car in my case!) to the place where you get your bottle deposit back. I didn't like putting them in my recycle box. Too many, and I didn't want my neighbours to see.
Old 02-27-2022, 02:02 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Honestly, I can see very clearly what you are saying WL. The bottom line is that alcohol is a depressant that affects our central nervous system.
Leshar is spot on though ~ we are all on the same page here: alcohol is not for us. s

Old 02-27-2022, 02:10 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

The play reading was very good, but I had pretty bad anxiety through the first act. I had an unpleasant man who rudely berated me re a parking issue, after he had backed into me. No damage to worry about other than he cracked my license plate cover. I'm really cross with myself. He was at fault but made me doubt my parking ability and I ended up apologizing! Darn, it's that old ppl pleasing thing and triggering of childhood trauma. Angry, abusive male and my fear. The good thing is that drinking didn't occur to me. I settled down by intermission and spoke to some ppl I know.
Old 02-27-2022, 03:14 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry you met a jerk Leshar.

D
Old 02-27-2022, 06:52 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Well it's my birthday and I've been drinking. Not good. I'll probably drink a bit more when the off licence opens. I hate birthdays.

Guess I'll join the March class. I thought naltrexone would stop me drinking too much but it didn't.
Old 02-27-2022, 07:22 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Well it's my birthday and I've been drinking. Not good. I'll probably drink a bit more when the off licence opens. I hate birthdays.

Guess I'll join the March class. I thought naltrexone would stop me drinking too much but it didn't.
Maybe drinking is a bad idea. Would just ruin my birthday.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:17 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is a bad idea.
I think you need more help and support FF.

D

Old 02-27-2022, 09:05 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

End of Day 106 - today was a cool day. Went for a walk in the rain. Spent time with kids. Hope everyone has a great sober day ahead.

Good night from Seattle!
Old 02-27-2022, 09:06 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Morning FF. Sorry you drank. I'm not a great fan of birthdays either but they do provide a point in the year to take stock. Do you want to be here in 12 months time posting the same message?

If not - what do you want to change? What would your life look like if the next 12 months go to plan? Most importantly, what do you need to do to get there?

What you are doing currently is not working. If you carry on as you are things will not change for you. I know you are young, please go and get the next level of support (I guess in patient rehab). Your worth it
Old 02-27-2022, 09:09 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Congrats on 106 CS and glad you had a good day

Ive woken up at 5:00, gonna lie here and practice mindfulness and plan my day. Then out for a walk at 6:00, get kids to school; work from home, kids this evening including son to football training.

Another sober day ahead - there is zero % chance of me drinking today because I don't want to
Old 02-27-2022, 09:13 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Thank you, great to know that you are keeping busy and have your day well planned out.
Old 02-27-2022, 09:47 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  
Administrator

To those new to the monthly threads:

At the end of the month this thread (the Class of February 2022) will move to the Newcomers Daily Support forum.

We do this so the new thread (the Class of March 2022) can take its place here.

Nothing else changes but the location - this thread will continue.

You can keep posting in this thread, you can move to the new March thread, or you can do both - whatever you choose

D