Notices

Class of March 2020 Part Two

Old 04-01-2020, 12:23 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Transferred most of my money to a savings account so it can't be accessed for 21 days. So I'm pretty much broke until I get paid on the 13th.

So the AV will just have to deal.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:56 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Bold move FF! Get through today and see where you are at.

Hahahahhaa - one day at a time is just SO accurate
Old 04-01-2020, 01:08 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

I'll be back to one day at a time Monday week but for now drinking isn't possible no matter how much I want it. The AV will simply have to sulk in its corner.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:05 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  

AV going nuts. Was just tempted by the bottle of Listerine in the bathroom. Had to pour it down the sink
Old 04-01-2020, 02:34 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee

Welcome Lions! 4 days is great

Freedom 20 days is fabulous, and Listerine is revolting. You really don’t need it.
Kick the AV to the corner
Old 04-01-2020, 02:46 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Excellent choice, ff. I don't keep that stuff around anymore.

I'm just weirded out with this. Cabin fever. Stir crazy. I can still walk all over town, and out of town, but it's like a ghost town. No one to talk to. I mean ftf.

I'm back up to expert level at Sudoku. I read all the magazines. (My favs include The New Yorker, Atlantic, Harper's). I almost began reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. 1079 pages. A genius writer who hung himself.

I watched episode one of Fleabag. Good stuff but geez what a trigger.

Stay the course everyone. Stay the course. Breathe.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:11 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  
Administrator

have you though of online AA Meetings (or SMART) FF?
Maybe you could use a little more support right now?

D
Old 04-01-2020, 03:18 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  

I might look into SMART meetings.

For the moment I'm good. There's no way for me to obtain alcohol for the next 12 days. So my AV is quieting down.

Now all it can say is "you ******* idiot, why did put that money away, why did you dump the Listerine?"
Old 04-01-2020, 03:46 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  

I recommend a youtube listen to David Foster Wallace's commencement speech, This is Water. Be patient because he gets to the heart of it.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:57 AM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
I might look into SMART meetings.

For the moment I'm good. There's no way for me to obtain alcohol for the next 12 days. So my AV is quieting down.

Now all it can say is "you ******* idiot, why did put that money away, why did you dump the Listerine?"
There is a method to your madness FF, but maybe you could do something in those days to help quiet the AV or get yourself ready for battle? I really am not expert but reckon immersing yourself in recovery stuff may help?
Old 04-01-2020, 04:19 AM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pelagic263 View Post
I recommend a youtube listen to David Foster Wallace's commencement speech, This is Water. Be patient because he gets to the heart of it.
The opposite of addiction is connection
Old 04-01-2020, 06:46 AM
  # 452 (permalink)  

What a fantastic thing to say dear Be. s xx ❤️
Old 04-01-2020, 06:50 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lions29 View Post
I’m new to this group. Sobriety date is 3-29, so day 4 starts in 30 minutes. Drinking never got me into trouble, no DUI, no work issues. However, drinking a bottle of wine a night and feeling lost when that bottle isn’t there is a problem. I know that continuing would only progress, and for sure, at a minimum, health problems would follow. I realize that there’s no such thing as being a moderate temperate drinker for me. That will never happen. I have the desire to stop, as hard as I know it will be. I plan to attend meetings when this CV is over. For now, as people have been suggesting, it’s a perfect time to start.
Such wonderful self-awareness dear Lions.
You are saving your life.
Giving yourself the future you want, rather than getting sucked down this dark hole.

I remember when one bottle a night was no longer enough for me.
I bought more. And ended up drinking two bottles almost every night. Occasionally more.....and almost accidentally killed myself.

Very pleased those days are long behind me.

Welcome to SR and the group, and congrats on day 4. s xx ❤️
Old 04-01-2020, 06:53 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Be123 View Post

There is a method to your madness FF, but maybe you could do something in those days to help quiet the AV or get yourself ready for battle? I really am not expert but reckon immersing yourself in recovery stuff may help?
Yes.

Awesome advice love. s xx ❤️
Old 04-01-2020, 07:52 AM
  # 455 (permalink)  

So we graduated to April. No longer the New Kids On The Block, lol. I agree with BE, you need to do things for your sobriety, other than counting days. I try to read at least one or two articles a day on addiction sites. There is a wealth of knowledge here as well with people who have been sober for years. Their experience is a gold mine of advice. For me at some point I need to let more people know about my problem. I think this will take a little more weight off my shoulders and will help built a support network.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:00 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  

I see you telling your friends etc about you being in recovery and everyone being very proud of you. And there is always that one person, at least, who says wow, you quit drinking? Altogether? Permanently? How did you do that?...and then you get to help someone else. s xx ❤️
Old 04-01-2020, 08:36 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I see you telling your friends etc about you being in recovery and everyone being very proud of you. And there is always that one person, at least, who says wow, you quit drinking? Altogether? Permanently? How did you do that?...and then you get to help someone else. s xx ❤️
Yes, paying it forward is probably another way to help your own sobriety. Admitting this will be difficult for me because I’m a private person but getting out of your comfort zone is good.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:49 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Ive told a few people I really trust bilr. A friend from work who's been brilliant, about and my marital situation. Telling her the extent of my drinking was embarrassing and releasing at same time. I didn't leave much out, she was shocked (so glad to have given her some entertainment too 😂 ). Us addicts do love crazy lives to be fair 😂😂

Told one brother (who insists I have no problem, should forget my wife and get on it properly) and told my parents I've given up because it was an 'issue'. They're getting in a bit so I wanted to protect them from the full story
Old 04-01-2020, 10:36 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Be123 View Post
Ive told a few people I really trust bilr. A friend from work who's been brilliant, about and my marital situation. Telling her the extent of my drinking was embarrassing and releasing at same time. I didn't leave much out, she was shocked (so glad to have given her some entertainment too 😂 ). Us addicts do love crazy lives to be fair 😂😂

Told one brother (who insists I have no problem, should forget my wife and get on it properly) and told my parents I've given up because it was an 'issue'. They're getting in a bit so I wanted to protect them from the full story
My parents both passed 5 years ago so I won’t have to tell them. My sisters first husband died from cirrhosis of the liver about 17 years ago and he was only slightly older than 40. You think that would have sunk in with me, but no. My epiphany, if you could call it that was being tired of the stress of hiding it and tired of feeling like crap most days.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:17 AM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Such wonderful self-awareness dear Lions.
You are saving your life.
Giving yourself the future you want, rather than getting sucked down this dark hole.

I remember when one bottle a night was no longer enough for me.
I bought more. And ended up drinking two bottles almost every night. Occasionally more.....and almost accidentally killed myself.

Very pleased those days are long behind me.

Welcome to SR and the group, and congrats on day 4. s xx ❤️
Thanks so much venuscat. It is hard to imagine not doing something again that you did routinely for many years. However, I think I’m wise enough to know that I want to enjoy life to the fullest in the years to come, and continuing on the journey I was on would have destroyed those hopes and hurt many people around me. Believe it or not, this down time has really made me realize that and maybe this downtime has been the spiritual change I needed.