Notices

Class of March 2020 Part Two

Old 03-27-2020, 02:39 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Day 18. This sober streak seems to have coincided with Coronavirus going from epidemic in China (as far as how it was treated by media in America) to global pandemic. I don't keep a journal but my posts here are a record of what I was doing/thinking during this historic event.

In 5 years time, when I am 5 years sober, I want to come back to these posts to reminisce about the early days of the time I gave up drinking for good.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:24 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Today is two weeks....that’s 14 days of no drinking....and 14 days of being at home, working and managing my kids doing online schooling and now my hubby likely being put on furlough. We can make it....and I can do this sober thing too.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:28 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats WL and otterisland - and everyone else hitting a milestone today - no matter what it is

D
Old 03-27-2020, 08:13 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 5 years and 5 months Suze, that’s really awesome

Well done on 2 weeks Otter
And you’re not far off 3 weeks WL, way to go!

I’m on day 27 here, and this morning I did my first ever online exercise class which was fun. I’ll definitely do it again next Saturday

Happy Saturday everyone
Old 03-27-2020, 11:01 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

27 days is brilliant willow, and two weeks otter! Good work both of you, it's just accumulating time

Awake at 6am, the coming clock change will help my body clock a bit. I need to go to sleep an hour later (11pm) and wake up and hour later (6am). That would be ideal

Wife's birthday today so doing stuff for her with kids...at home of course. It really is an odd situation but I'm ploughing on, being a good dad, being amicable with her, creating sober patterns.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:49 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Thanks
You’re doing a really great job Be
6am there and nearly 5pm here
Just went for a walk on the beach. Not many people out and about which was nice. Everyone was doing social distancing.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:01 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

You in Australia willow?
Old 03-28-2020, 12:22 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Yep
Old 03-28-2020, 04:54 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Day 19. My sleep pattern is nocturnal now unfortunately. I go to sleep at sunrise and wake up around 3pm. I suppose it doesn't matter since I have absolutely nothing to do. I like being sober but I am concerned about the effects extreme isolation will have on me as the weeks turn to months. AA meetings were helpful before but are all cancelled for good reason.

I suppose no one really knows how this pandemic will affect us mentally. I won't drink today though!
Old 03-28-2020, 04:58 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Be123 View Post
27 days is brilliant willow, and two weeks otter! Good work both of you, it's just accumulating time

Awake at 6am, the coming clock change will help my body clock a bit. I need to go to sleep an hour later (11pm) and wake up and hour later (6am). That would be ideal

Wife's birthday today so doing stuff for her with kids...at home of course. It really is an odd situation but I'm ploughing on, being a good dad, being amicable with her, creating sober patterns.
I have also been waking up 5:30 to 6:00 a.m. every day. I have been going to bed a little later every evening but still wake at the same time. Might need a power nap at some point today, lol.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:34 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Day 19. My sleep pattern is nocturnal now unfortunately. I go to sleep at sunrise and wake up around 3pm. I suppose it doesn't matter since I have absolutely nothing to do. I like being sober but I am concerned about the effects extreme isolation will have on me as the weeks turn to months. AA meetings were helpful before but are all cancelled for good reason.

I suppose no one really knows how this pandemic will affect us mentally. I won't drink today though!
WL, Congrats on 19 days, we’ll done. I think we will discover more about our true selves if we remain sober during these trying times. The temporary pleasure of drinking does not last very long. I really hated myself while drinking but never did anything about it. That’s the grip it had on me.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:37 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OtterIsland View Post
Today is two weeks....that’s 14 days of no drinking....and 14 days of being at home, working and managing my kids doing online schooling and now my hubby likely being put on furlough. We can make it....and I can do this sober thing too.
You are really a leading example in how to do this right now love.....all of it....sober and strong and accepting of what is. s xx ❤️
Old 03-28-2020, 06:30 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Hi everyone day 13 for me, a quiet day in store, think i wiĺl watch a couple of movies
Old 03-28-2020, 06:34 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Hey everyone!

All-day rain here today, so no walk I guess. I should dig out my spin cycle, which has sat in a corner with a sheet thrown over it for years. My wife wife teases me for having bought it since I don't use it. I'll show her, lol!

Spinning is rather boring though, compared with being out on the road.

I walked past a car dealership yesterday, just to peruse the stock. I thought since the dealer is shut down I won't be bothered by salesmen. No luck. A mechanic walked out, totally ignored the six foot social distance, and handed me the sales manager's card. He laughed and said the manager was not allowed out on the lot but as a mechanic he was ("life essential" I guess). I turned around and walked home to wash my hands. I feel for these salesmen of course; they rarely make a lot of money, even in good times in a small town like this. But these are not good times and if I was really interested in a car I'd inquire over the internet. Oh well, we all have things to learn.

I live in a fairly rural county and apparently they're using cellphone GPS data to figure out if people are actually travelling less. My county gets an "F." Less than a ten percent drop.

Yikes, stay safe everyone. You're all doing great and I intend to get there too.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:39 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Cooked the family a massive breakfast for wife's birthday.

Then we went out for a long walk and it was freezing.

Now waiting for a takeaway.

Not sure I've achieved much with my life today but sober and feeling ok(ish). I feel a bit low today - probably the crap food and weather. Tastes nice though!
Old 03-28-2020, 12:24 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Be....you cooked a big family breakfast for your wife on her birthday.
I think that is a fantastic achievement..... s xx
Old 03-28-2020, 12:48 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
luring sobriety this way with my lucky charm

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post

Have you considered making a recovery plan with simple routines of self-care at home? It's really helped me for the past week or so. You can also attend on-line meetings. There's SMART recovery and there's also In the Rooms that has AA meetings. Congrats on making it so many days sober!
Old 03-28-2020, 12:55 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  
luring sobriety this way with my lucky charm

It has been 16 days since my last binge, and I feel amazed and grateful how much my perspective has changed in such a short time just due to putting so much more effort into my recovery (rather than just relying on willpower and distraction) and reaching out for support here and being honest about my problem rather than hiding or downplaying it. I am so grateful for this crazy pandemic for giving me the time and space to do it.

Congrats to everyone here on their own accomplishments, no matter what they are.

I did dream about drinking last night. I dreamt I was with my family on the beach, my mom, some other relatives, and my dead grandfather (?) I was happy but I apparently also felt stifled by being around all them in my dream. That's my only explanation because usually the beach is one of my happy places. I walked away from them to a string of restaurants near the pier, and considered ordering a glass of wine. I decided to go deeper inside the structure so that no one could see me do it. Then I thought it my dream, do I really want a glass of wine because it's such a hot day outside and it might make me feel lethargic instead of energetic walking on the beach and getting into the ocean? That's all I remember. So now my brain is dreaming about my efforts to be sober. I think it's a good thing, not a bad thing.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:28 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

It's an awesome thing. s xx ❤️
Old 03-28-2020, 02:49 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeckoningCat View Post
It has been 16 days since my last binge, and I feel amazed and grateful how much my perspective has changed in such a short time just due to putting so much more effort into my recovery (rather than just relying on willpower and distraction) and reaching out for support here and being honest about my problem rather than hiding or downplaying it. I am so grateful for this crazy pandemic for giving me the time and space to do it.

Congrats to everyone here on their own accomplishments, no matter what they are.

I did dream about drinking last night. I dreamt I was with my family on the beach, my mom, some other relatives, and my dead grandfather (?) I was happy but I apparently also felt stifled by being around all them in my dream. That's my only explanation because usually the beach is one of my happy places. I walked away from them to a string of restaurants near the pier, and considered ordering a glass of wine. I decided to go deeper inside the structure so that no one could see me do it. Then I thought it my dream, do I really want a glass of wine because it's such a hot day outside and it might make me feel lethargic instead of energetic walking on the beach and getting into the ocean? That's all I remember. So now my brain is dreaming about my efforts to be sober. I think it's a good thing, not a bad thing.
Weird, I also had a dream where I didn’t actually drink. Just carried a flask around but didn’t actually drink it. Maybe we are making progress. I did buy a 3 pound bag of Hershey’s assorted chocolates at Costco today. I have been craving chocolate and I’ve heard other people say this as well.