Notices

Class of January 2020 PART 2

Old 01-19-2020, 06:03 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Yeah, I've put on a few pounds this week and never had the courage to go out and hit the gym, or do any work. Just worried about the old impulses coming back as I go back to the normal routines.

Have had basically no impulse to drink but I'm pretty sure that there will be rough trials ahead.

Sounds like you are doing great.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:05 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  
Free at last!

Originally Posted by abraxas69 View Post
Hello everyone, been a couple of days since I checked in. 18 days almost complete!

I've had what has ended up being quite mixed weekend.

On Saturday I went to the mindful drinking festival in London - not so much for the event itself per se (although it was good to hear Janey Lee Grace on the motivation stage), but for the social aspect. I haven't done anything of the sort for years, so it was quite "a thing" for me. (I have had varying degrees of anxiety over the years, much of which I'm starting to learn is probably very ,much attributable to my drinking).

That evening my (ex) partner [we've agreed to split but still living in the same house until the financials can be sorted out - it's not easy!] had a friend over for a few drinks. I went to my room to do my own thing... anyway they got louder as the evening progressed and I heard them having laughing about how ridiculous the concept of a mindful drinking festival was.

I'm ok with it to a large degree - my ex is a heavy drinker with no interest whatsoever in changing, so I wouldn't expect her to understand. But the inferred hostility to my sobriety was laid bare, and that still stings 24 hours later. Trying to let go of it, but it's still gnawing at me somewhat.

Anyway onwards and upwards , tomorrow is a new day. Take care all:-)
Abraxas I am very jealous of you going to the Mindful Drinking Festival! I find Club Soda useful and received emails about the event. I would loved to have gone, but a trip to London was off the cards this weekend. Hopefully will get to a future one as they sound very good!

As for your Ex ridiculing you going to a festival celebrating not drinking alcohol!
Those who defend drinking the loudest, are often the ones who should be worried about how much they drink.
After all lets be honest, we were like that ourselves once!

Don't let her make you feel down about the course you have taken, look at what she is doing to herself, and be really proud that you are no longer on that hamster wheel. Well done!
Old 01-19-2020, 10:22 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  
Free at last!

Originally Posted by sobermafia View Post
Finally dropped 2 pounds this week. It would be great if it all came off at once, but at least the scale budged a little. It will be a long journey getting all the weight I put on due to wine/binge drinking and binge eating while drinking, but at least I'm heading int he right direction. Drinking lots of water, working out, and trying to be better about what I am eating.
Well done Sobermafia on loosing the weight! It is tough to do so when trying to give up alcohol I think, as sugar cravings come all the time during the day for me.

I also try to eat healthily and according to my app I have saved consuming 14.4K calories in the last 19 days through not drinking!

Unfortunately I must have also consumed 14.4k calories through gorging on clementines and date and nut bars, as my weight has not gone down at all, although I have lost some inches off my stomach!

Weight loss speed varies from person to person and the most important thing at this point is we are not drinking.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:41 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Hi Januarians!

Today is 21 days! I've had a hard time posting or reading this last week...my neck is still pretty sore and trying to read was difficult... but I think I'm starting to turn a corner...

Take care...
Old 01-20-2020, 12:50 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Day 5 here! Woke up this morning and made a list of goals for today.

- do week 2 day 1 of c25k
- go to the gym and lift weights
- meditate for ten minutes
- get 300xp points on DuoLingo
- apply for three jobs
- don't drink

So far I've completed two of my goals at 8:49am, c25k and meditation
Old 01-20-2020, 12:56 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Hi time2 and Geenie, I've been telling myself the same things, but hearing it from someone else has helped enormously. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2020, 01:13 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Hello all. Good to see so many staying strong and making it through the weekend. I am working through Day 14, so will reach the 2 week mark this evening...and starting to get me bearings. Actually, I have been feeling very good about the process to this point.

Cityboy...sounds like we are approaching things very much the same way. I just dabbled in a few activities on my days off last week to avoid stress and to limit any potential trigger points. I have had no urges to drink either (different from any of my past attempts). Experience tells me that I am probably at my most vulnerable as I work into weeks 3 and 4 so I am attempting to be as mindful as possible as to how I am feeling going forward, especially as I slowly work more and more routine activities back into my life.

Have a great week everyone.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:37 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Good morning and welcome Freedomfries. Sounds like a good set of goals.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:04 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Hey everyone. I’d like to join you. I didn’t want to wait for February, even though this month is ending.... I need support to get through these tough first days. This is day one for me.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:42 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome butter marsh

D
Old 01-20-2020, 02:44 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ButterMarsh View Post
Hey everyone. I’d like to join you. I didn’t want to wait for February, even though this month is ending.... I need support to get through these tough first days. This is day one for me.
But of course, ButterMarsh. It is January, you are joining SR, so you are in the Class of January, and we are glad to have you, and each other, and all comers. Poke around the SR website, a wealth of information and inspiration.

Welcome. And good day. We (I) invite you, encourage you, to post early and often, ButterMarsh.

And a good day to all us Januarians. My Day 19. It's around 5:30 a.m. jr67 time.

Big plans for today, Martin Luther King Day holiday here in the U.S. I gotta go to work. In fact, I am already at work. Right now, it's the SR kind of work, working on living the dream. Later it will be the pay-the-bills kind of work. Though today's a holiday, tomorrow's 9 a.m. meeting is just 27.25 hours away. And the clock is ticking.

Don't worry, jr: One day, one breath at a time.

Happy MLK Day, wherever you are, SR folks!

And Mr. King, wherever you are: I have a dream too.

And Happy Birthday!
Old 01-20-2020, 02:49 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Welcome Buttermash. Yes, the first few days are the hardest. January is the most miserable month of the year bar none. Even worse ig you live in an arctic wasteland like I do. I an just taking it one day at a time. I know that's a cliche but it's the only way that works with me.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:01 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Welcome Buttermash. Don't know how much experience you have with Day 1's and such, but I concur with Wastinglife that the first few days are indeed rough. Do whatever you need to get through those, and then start figuring out how to keep going once you are feeling a bit better. SR has been very helpful to me in the past. At the time, I was quite surprised at how helpful. Stay strong.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:56 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Good morning all.

Abraxas, thanks for posting. It feels like a landmark situation that you may look back on in future. A marker of when you changed course to find something happier and left toxic people behind. We are all proud of you, on here.
Patterson, hang in there with your convalescence. I am sure it is both frustrating and painful.
Welcome ButterMarsh. It is great to have you in the class.

There are so many interesting posts so thanks to everyone sharing their journeys.

So, I got through a dry weekend, which feels like a major achievement still. Less or no headaches. My drink dreams are subsidising but I sleep a LOT. Weight wise, I have gained but feel February is when I hit that. I want a solid foundation of sobriety. I am on day 20 today, which is a milestone.

Have a healthy, happy and sober week all.

dlb

Last edited by dontlookbacchus; 01-20-2020 at 03:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-20-2020, 05:58 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Patterson View Post
Hi Januarians!

Today is 21 days! I've had a hard time posting or reading this last week...my neck is still pretty sore and trying to read was difficult... but I think I'm starting to turn a corner...

Take care...
So much love honey. And huge healing (cyber) hugs. s ❤️❤️
Old 01-20-2020, 06:01 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Good morning beautiful people,

Geenie, I've been having sugar cravings the last couple of days, which is unusual for me. Found a stash of Christmas snacks and candy yesterday and thought I had hit the jackpot. Have a couple of health apps on my phone but had long given up on them because it doesn't look good to put in 8 beers and a bottle of wine in a single day. Maybe I can start back with one.

Patterson, have you tried alternating hot/cold on your neck?

Freedomfries, what is c25k? I love my gym because they have a machine to do any exercise imaginable, but at home I just have a few dumbells.

Mrwolfe, day 11 feels great but I expect the real tests are yet to come.

Buttermarsh, you've come to the right place. I've spilled my guts here and found supportive people who knew exactly what I was going through.

jr67, if I don't start back doing pay-the-bills work soon, I won't be able to afford beer and wine anymore.

Waistinglife, Florida feel like an arctic wasteland this morning. It's in the 30s. I need to bring up some firewood today.

Dontlookback, I had my first dream last night in which I was drinking beer after work.

One good thing, college football season is over. They call the Florida Georgia game the world's largest cocktail party for a reason and I usually do my share. Plenty of other trials and tribulations though.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:02 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Welcome from me too ButterMarsh s

And love to all of you.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:19 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ButterMarsh View Post
No better time than the present!

Welcome!
Old 01-20-2020, 06:49 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Hi all. Always nice to read everyone's posts and your efforts to push forward.

I'm under the weather this weekend. My headache morphed into body aches and chills so I'm mostly resting at home. Today I need to get a few small things done before I go back to work tomorrow.

Feeling sick makes me feel depressed but I think that's par for the course. My priority is to get better. Today is day 17 and I am thankfully having zero thoughts or urges this weekend.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:55 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Day 1 off Adderall for me! Am waiting for the crash, haven’t taken any today and dumped my pills. I am actually looking forward to being normal again and feeling normal and sleeping lol. Will be song some journaling and cleaning and venturing into nature later today. Reading all your posts gives me hope, so thank you! Hope everyone is having a great Monday!