Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #10

Old 04-30-2020, 07:08 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I have really focused on getting a decent night's sleep most nights. I know that when I get sleep deprived, my resistance goes down and I get sick. I put it right up there with hand washing as a safety measure.

We are expecting two to three inches of rain over the next couple days. My area has the opposite problem Aly, almost too much water.
Courage, does your employer envision actual classes in classrooms this fall? I can't foresee huge 400 student lecture halls occurring this fall. My son is enrolling in community college, and if it happens to all be on line, so be it. He isn't paying for the college experience, just the classes.

Fbl, how is Rock Tracks coming along? What era does this project cover?

Glee, how are your sons dealing without hockey? I am thinking perhaps you and your husband are not missing all of the traveling back and forth?

Be safe all!
Old 04-30-2020, 09:23 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Star, we just had 3 straight days of rain. We were way under for the year, now we're over! Looks like a dry weekend ahead.

My Rock Tracks project covers 1981-2020. Billboard didn't start their chart until 1981, so we just have a list of 1964-80 tracks in the back of the book. I'm still knee deep on the research, so will be July or August when the book actually goes to the printer.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:19 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Hello All,
While I seem to have lost my posting voice, I thought I'd check in to say that I am safe and quite sober.
Even when I have that fleeting thought of a drink, it just seems so not in character or what I want in my life ever again.
It's good to see all of you are coping in a sober way as well.
My best...Carlos
Old 04-30-2020, 11:03 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

FBL, the project you are working on sounds so interesting! Hi Carlos!
Old 05-01-2020, 05:54 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Great to see you Carlos! I hope life in the new condo is enjoyable, even if all the beaches are not open at the moment.

FBL, that is a lot of years to cover for this project. You definitely will be keeping busy.

Be safe all!
Old 05-02-2020, 11:26 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  
p***enger

Old 05-02-2020, 11:46 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
p***enger

sg-- my husband also hates the masks because of fogging -- he's virtually blind without his glasses. I'll give him the coffee filter tip, thanks! You're wise to be taking care of sleep needs. That all-nighter (and yes, faculty are just students who do it for a living//students are just practicing to be academics-- both of which are silly things to do) -- anyway, that all-nighter messed up my sleep even more than it was already messed up, and for the next 2 days I was wonky, so much I started to think I had the virus.

Which, of course, I might, and be one of those people who have mild mild symptoms that disappear in a few days.

Glee, --I'm sorry for your losses and the losses among those in your community. One of the worst parts of this strange season is feeling the weight of not just personal loss, but community loss. Also, I know a lot of people working from home are working harder than ever. Please take some breaks -- vigorous dance routines to the music from Glee?

FBL, - Taking on a new project is another example of a wise mental health move -- plus just plain interesting, in a world without COVID. You sound stoked. We had rain here too for a few days, and today is beautiful. From the nature point of view, this has been a long and lovely spring.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:51 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  
p***enger

Part 2 -- Tried to put this in that previous post & it just went whacky on formatting towards the end, so here's the rest....

Carlos -- you haven't lost the knack of posting! Practice here. xxxooo

Carlos, PS, I still try to smoke a Big Red a day

Aly, --how are you're doing with the gabapentin withdrawals? And overall mental health? What set off the worst mental health stuff for me was the overthrow of structures and routines. Mornings have always been an anxious time for me, but when I got sober, I made them better by, for instance, starting them here, doing my meditation -- a lot of routines. Then with COVID, I kind of lost mornings, and have had to re-create an order to the first part of my day. It's settling in now, but still a little unpredictable. Such dumb stuff shouldn't raise a person's anxiety level, but it seems to. I hope you're finding some ways of being that help you with any twinges you feel

sg, you asked about the subways. The subways are nightmares now. You can look at pictures and video, if you can stomach it. It'll take a decade, I guess, for the system to recover from a prolonged 90% loss in ridership.

Today there are a *lot* of sirens. They might be accidents, because it's a pretty Saturday and a lot of people are out, probably a little giddy. Sirens =

That aside, I'm channeling optimism about recovery from this crisis in the US. The #s in NYC improve every day, especially new hospitalizations. Some imagined economic scenarios aren't *that* bad , although they're bad. Maybe technology will make us more nimble in recovery than we were in 1929? Some sectors will boom -- maybe whole new industries will develop? Although NY state public universities are going to take a really really hard hit. Of public sector jobs, we're hardly essential

Sorry for the monster posts but I had a lot to catch up on!
Old 05-02-2020, 12:54 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Cour, so glad you are doing better! So good to hear.Thank you for asking about the gabapentin. I just took my last half pill and they say you have about 10 days with w/d after that and I do, but I'm sure they'll start going away soon. At least I do have the time to deal with it! My anxiety is a lot better, but, I tend to get anxiety about the weirdest things sometimes. But sooo much better than it was. So happy to be off of it and I talk to my shrink this week to touch base. Happy to have a shrink who cares and really knows his meds as well as being compassionate. I lucked out .

Love, peace and safety/wellness to you all.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:28 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
p***enger

Congrats on the last half pill!I like my shrink too. He's very much psychopharm "only" but he also gives me reality checks -- letting me know when it's "other people" and not me

I just realized today -- when I have to talk to a lot of people real face-to-face, my anxieties about *that* will re-emerge. You just can't win if you're that type. But it will be, someday soon I hope, a much better thing to have to deal with.

xxxooo
Old 05-02-2020, 01:31 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Thank you for your congrats, Cour! It is so nice not to be shackled to those pills anymore!
Old 05-03-2020, 03:19 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IWLSAST View Post
Hello All,
While I seem to have lost my posting voice, I thought I'd check in to say that I am safe and quite sober.
Even when I have that fleeting thought of a drink, it just seems so not in character or what I want in my life ever again.
It's good to see all of you are coping in a sober way as well.
My best...Carlos
Well done Carlos! I'm so glad you only have a fleeting thought of having a drink and that you do not listen to it. How long have you been sober? Emma
Old 05-03-2020, 04:57 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Hello Happydays!
Welcome to SR and to POST!

This is a great group of former crazy drunks talking about living life in the normal world in the normal way, i.e. not constantly intoxicated.

Courage, in amongst the horror of Covid induced reality, it quietly has been a lovely spring. Maybe this year, I actually slowed down enough to take a better view of it.

I am glad the taper is working for you Aly. I try to wean off my AD during the late spring for a few months and taper too. My doc said it wasn't necessary, but quitting abruptly threw my mind into a storm for a bit. Hence, I will be splitting pills when it's time.

My local school district sent an email stating that they expect to be holding in classroom classes next fall. Though cases seem to be leveling off a bit, deaths in my county continue to mount. Nursing homes are taking the brunt of the toll. I look forward to a summer reprieve.

Have a good day all!
Old 05-03-2020, 01:29 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
I try to wean off my AD during the late spring for a few months and taper too.
Good luck sg if it suits you -- I know you have a seasonal thing. I'm scared to wean off my pills. Unmedicated me was not a fun person to be around, even when I had a year of sobriety.

Gorgeous day here & I scored 3 days of food!

Hi Happydays! I like your username!
Old 05-03-2020, 04:09 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome HappyDays
Old 05-04-2020, 07:02 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

Welcome HappyDays! Nice to see you.

FBL - Sounds like you are working on another interesting project.

Courage - It sounds intense to have to complete all your work at once. Yikes! Glad you’ve sorted your biorhythms and are feeling well.

SG - Sleep is important to prioritize. Glad you’re taking good care of yourself.

Aly - Good to hear your medicine change is going smoothly.

It was so nice to have two sunny perfect days in a row. It’s a game changer! I weeded around the house and even planted a very small patch of veggies that I’m hopeful will yield a salad or two.

Carlos - I know you have lots of sunny days. I’m sure it doesn’t get old!

I don’t miss hockey 100% - there are people I’m happy not to see, and I don’t miss all of the travel, but there are parts of it I miss. Also, I see how disappointed my kids are. They had been having a good school year. Hockey was going well. Not only did everything come to a screeching halt, but many of their spring and summer plans have been cancelled. I try not to dwell on it but this stay at home covid 19 world has given me some sleepless nights.

I try not to let it consume me. I try to use the tools that the 12 steps taught me, such as gratitude, the serenity prayer, and focusing on today. Powerful reminders to keep my alcoholic mind from running amok.

HappyDay - Something I’ve learned from these boards is that drinking was one symptom
of my alcoholism.

have a good day everyone!
Old 05-05-2020, 07:22 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Substance abuse and mental health problems are jumping during this virus spread. Weirdly, Covid has not increased any drinking urges for me one iota. I guess because I am an introvert by nature, and I get my fill of people every day at work, this has been less stressful to me than it is for many. I think the reality of day to day life will be markedly different for all of us for the next year or so at least.

Be safe all!
Old 05-05-2020, 09:54 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Thank you glee! So nice to see your posts.My BIL used to play hockey (in CA!) and was on a traveling hockey team as a kid and played semi pro and was offered some great scholarships. All my nephews played Am football and Rugby in Pop Warner and H.S. and have the injuries to show for it. The twins are in college and on track and field doing shot put and that kind of stuff, when they can go back. I know travelling hockey teams take dedicated parents! Sorry your boys miss it, but grateful you get a break.
I think a lot of people are struggling with their addictions too. Every thing is just so uncertain. So glad we have this sane and sober place to come to and remember why our sobriety is so important.Love, peace and wellness to you all!
Old 05-05-2020, 06:17 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
p***enger

To be 100% honest, sometimes I've wanted a drink. Nothing but a thought, musing that after 8-10 hours staring at a computer screen, it would be nice to sit back, close my eyes, and sip something. But it's simple to move on to the next thing, and then the thought is gone.

I ordered some blue-blocker glasses to deal with the screen time. I hope they come soon and help. I'll bet some of you spend a lot of hours in front of a screen -- what helps?
Old 05-05-2020, 07:10 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Administrator

It doesn't make me want to drink but I try to not sit here for too long at a time.
Every 2 hours or so I'll get up and do something else for 15-30 mins or more
D