Notices

Class of July 2019 Part 1

Old 07-09-2019, 08:01 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Midton- what kind of N/A plum wine do you drink? I am trying to find a few N/A drinks I can have for when we entertain or go to friends. Drinking is the main event when we gather and I just don’t want to have this conversation with them yet.

Finalround- I cant even imagine how hard that would be. Are her drinking habits anywhere close to what yours were? Is she just a “social” drinker? Your strength to stay sober is clearly strong! We know you can do this!
Old 07-09-2019, 08:12 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Slaybells247 View Post
Midton- what kind of N/A plum wine do you drink? I am trying to find a few N/A drinks I can have for when we entertain or go to friends. Drinking is the main event when we gather and I just don’t want to have this conversation with them yet.

Finalround- I cant even imagine how hard that would be. Are her drinking habits anywhere close to what yours were? Is she just a “social” drinker? Your strength to stay sober is clearly strong! We know you can do this!

I’m fortunate in this respect as I live in Asia so I can get it at any supermarket and people often make it themselves. There is also Yuzu which is nice. It might be worth checking out any local Chinese/Japanese/Korean food markets or even ordering online.

It’s really helping me at present as the taste is indistinguishable for me whereas NA beer is personally unpalatable, though I never really liked beer that much to begin with.

Anyway the stuff I’ve been buying is by a company called Choya and the plum wine is called umeshu here. They have an English homepage and I buy the canned sparkling plum drink. Costs about one dollar.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:15 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  
Roi

I stopped drinking in June but I'll join the July class. Feel great but absent minded. It's time!
Old 07-09-2019, 08:25 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midton View Post
Anyway the stuff I’ve been buying is by a company called Choya and the plum wine is called umeshu here.
Is this N/A? What I’m reading is kind of confusing.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:52 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Is this N/A? What I’m reading is kind of confusing.
The one I buy is certainly non alcohol.

I didn’t look at the homepage but I’m guessing that some are alcoholic. The one I buy is a can. In the top right corner it says Alc 0.00%. It also says on Japanese non-alcohol and says in the red speech bubble “without getting drunk” .

I’d post a picture but can’t figure out how to.

I’ve sent you a PM with details of how to find the non-alcohol drink(s)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:17 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midton View Post
In the top right corner it says Alc 0.00%. It also says on Japanese non-alcohol and says in the red speech bubble “without getting drunk” .
HA! Love how direct! How could I have missed that?! Thanks for sending me that info!
Old 07-09-2019, 10:28 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

End of day 13. Took a risk today by going to the grocery store at wine o clock after my gym. Went through the beer aisle but came out safe. Good salad dinner and now watching a sitcom. Good night/day folks!
Old 07-10-2019, 12:53 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Morning all

Day 23 - just checking in quickly as I'm busy with work - still going strong.

Good luck everyone for another sober day.

Andy.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:39 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone.

Quitnow - I was a bottle or 2 of red everynight also …. I totally relate to what you're saying. I take anti-anxiety meds also, to say I was a mess is an understatement. Everything hurts, mental health is a mess, 40lbs over weight. I've got a massive red swollen face. I sit back and think to myself often "who would willingly do this to themselves ??" …. Me !!! because of this addiction. Reminds me of the quote that was spoken about earlier "don't underestimate the power of this addiction" and it's so true....
Well done on day 1 …...

Managed to get some sleep last night …. still feeling pretty rough today...but no booze will be had today ….

Have a good day everyone.
xx
Old 07-10-2019, 01:49 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi guys - we have a policy here of not mentioning brands of/promoting NA beers or wines or whatever, so if you could discuss that by PM I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Dee
Administrator
SR
Old 07-10-2019, 03:55 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

She is not just a social drinker. It's daily. When she gets home from work. When I quit, she will typically stay up til 1 or 2 am watching tv and doing laundry drinking wine. It's hard because I would drink daily too. A few after work to unwind. Get togethers were always much more. Weekends could go 24/7.

When I sobered up last September for almost 7 months, she started catching on and stopped for a while. Only having a glass or 2 at social gatherings. She once told me she was afraid I wouldn't like her if I was sober but we got along great during that time and I really enjoy her company. It wasn't the "rock star partying" lifestyle but it was great. We did things. Not just house visits with the same friends getting hammered.

I get very proactive when I'm sober about finding new and interesting things to do and places to go. So much more fulfilling.

For those worrying about feeling left out or lonely because all your friends were drinking friends, just google "things to do near me". I have found so many things I never thought of doing. Eating, historical places, car shows, food truck rally's (my favorites), free concerts.

Freedom from addiction can open a hole new world for us if we make the effort. I know from experience, getting sober is about action. Making plans, taking the steps, filling your day, challenging ourselves to be more and leave no time for alcohol.

Best description I've heard here on SR about alcohol is that it is a "time thief".

I'm angry that I allowed the last 2 months to go by in a drunken haze. Beginning of spring and summer of 2019 GONE! I can't ever get it back. I had so many plans. God that makes me angry at booze, and myself. Lot of summer left. I'm going to seize it. Make a story book of my experiences. I'm going to live it.

Ok. That's my morning rant. Off to work. Love and strength to you all.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:14 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Day 12 here.

FR-My wife has 2 drinks every night and then stops. I have no clue how she does that Anyway, since it happens every night, it's easy to not even really notice. Not sure how that might help you, but your post made me think about it

One thing that I do know is that my eating habits are keeping me from feeling as good as I should. That is something that my wife does understand. I shouldn't be eating sugar anyway, and now I can't find any around the house!

Hope everyone has a great hump day!
Old 07-10-2019, 04:36 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

FR, I also have a daily drinking spouse. He has better control than I ever did...unless I'm drinking with him and he's trying to keep up. I also avoid him after he's had about 3 or so. He doesn't like to go anywhere that isn't selling beer, so the things we do together are limited to entertainment venues and street fairs. In my sober years, I talked to him a lot about how I was feeling and when I was tempted. He didn't support me by not drinking or go places without alcohol but he did stop offering me drinks and never once expressed a negative opinion on my sobriety. He respected my choice. We were able to live quite peacefully in that arrangement. I found a lot of hobbies to do on my own and find friends to go with me to things he doesn't like.

I haven't been sober for a few years, and have been actively (then desperately) trying to stop. As my drinking digressed I've been more honest about how little control I have and the desire to live sober. That's all I can do- even if I don't get the support I wish for, I'm being honest about what I'm doing and where I'm at. I think it's difficult for someone with their own drinking problem to support sobriety - they have their own private mountain to climb.

Physically, it's been a tough couple of days. Although I felt great over the weekend, I felt like I crashed on Monday. I have a tough week at work and an even tougher weekend trip coming up and I'm sure it has something to do with that. I'm trying to take things easy and focus on each day. The important thing is that I don't drink- I have plenty of time to work on recovery as long as I do the most important thing. Trying not to let my brain make things too complicated! Working on day 12!

I've been enjoying reading everyone's progress- I'm so glad you are here!
Old 07-10-2019, 06:18 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Welcome, Roi! Glad you’re here.

Day 2 and I’m so pleased to be starting sobriety again. Tossed and turned a lot last night, but still better sleep than I got with all that wine in my system.

Keep at this class and have a great day. It’s a beautiful summer day here in my area. I’m hoping to attempt a run, catch up on house work (which I’ve put off for 2 months), and get ready to go on a quick trip with the family. No temptation to drink with them. I have told my husband I want to quit, so he won’t allow it and I’ll be in a hotel with my kids. I do not drink in front of them.

Be back later!
Old 07-10-2019, 06:20 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Finalround View Post
To all those with spouses that don't "get it", I'm there too.

Withdrawals got bad enough for me to beg for her help this time. Told her booze will kill me if I don't stop. She was scared this time. Until I felt better. Drinks her wine every night again. I'm not going to tell her to stop but after 4 glasses and no food (which I cook every night), I just won't conversate with her. Been here before. Eventually she cut way back and we were good. When I picked up again, the flood gates opened. She had her drinking buddy back.
We had just been making plans for our future and dreaming where we want to live. I'm not sure she accepts that I cannot drink, EVER! When I start, I can't find the off switch. My health problems start to pile up. Stomach, heart palpitations, pain, and recently inflammation in my finger and toe joints. All remedied after 5 days sober. Completely gone when I had almost 7 months.
The drinking spouse is a very difficult dynamic and I haven't found the answer for it. I just know I can't drink AND I don't like being around drunks. How's that for irony. Feel like a complete hypocrite.

Wish you all the best on your journey. I'll be here with you. Can't go back.
You are not a hypocrite at all dear Finalround.

We are allowed to change, and sure, that is not always comfortable for our partners, or people in our lives who were our drinking buddies. You are going to think this is nuts, but have you thought about going to Alanon? We can't change other people, but we can learn to deal with their behaviour and choices without it affecting us so deeply. I think this would be my choice if my partner was drinking....I tried other ways when I was in this situation, and it just didn't work out well.

Huge hugs for all of you.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:23 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Quitnow4 View Post
Made it through day 1! Finally. In bed with my La Croix and enjoying some alone time. So glad I've made it here. Time to get back on track and back to sober life. Feeling hopeful.

Finalround, I feel for you. That has to be tough. Take care of yourself and let the healing begin again. Maybe your wife will join you one day on your sober path.

Hi SoberbytheSea! Glad you're here. Hi Citrus

This was a bad stretch. I have never felt so sick with wine before. It scared me. My organs are sore, my digestion is off, and my heart rate has been too high at times. It's just mind boggling how I could keep picking up the poison with these symptoms. Just shows the power of alcohol. I surrender. I must not drink again.

Good night, all. Looking forward to day 2 and letting the healing begin.
So many hugs. xxxx

And if I was you, I would print this out and put it on my fridge. What POWERFUL motivation. s

And I so hear you....I STILL remember being just that ill, and it was 5 years ago almost: it's terrifying. Just so glad you are here with us again dear Quitnow.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:29 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Thank you, Venuscat! I will print off that post. Good advice and thank you for your kindness and compassion. It shines through in all of your posts.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:29 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Reading your lovely post dear Kinsey.....I think your way of looking at this and being in your marriage with your partner still drinking is amazing, but gosh it's hard on you, isn't it? I would need to go to Alanon for the support I wasn't getting at home. With respect. I don't mean that negatively....at all....but maybe it would be nice to to have the support from a group of people who all go through this.

Sorry....not meaning to be bossy at all, just ignore me. s
Old 07-10-2019, 06:37 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Quitnow4 View Post
Thank you, Venuscat! I will print off that post. Good advice and thank you for your kindness and compassion. It shines through in all of your posts.
Thank you love. s

Yes, it's mind boggling for sure....we just kept throwing poison down our throats, day after day. And for all of us wine drinkers, holy moly, the chemicals man.....so so many bad bad chemicals in wine....I am 100% allergic to sulphates (as in could kill me) and I STILL drank almost 2 bottles every night. At one very affluent (ha ha, meaning I had a job) stage, I swapped to organic wine.

What a genius. Not. And I didn't stick with it anyway, because the alcohol content was not high enough for me....honestly. (what a moron ).

Now, if you knew you were slowly being poisoned with arsenic, for example, you would expect to feel ill and to have brain issues. I would think. Yet how is what we do to ourselves any different? Of course we lose the choice to stop eventually: WE HAVE BEEN POISONED. No longer capable of well, anything.

I was almost there. Almost. Centimetres from being in a mental institution. I would never have left I don't think.

Alcohol is not just a "time thief" FR....it steals everything. Including our lives.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:36 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

It’s amazing how productive I’ve been since I quit! Being self employed makes it even better. Another bonus is my preferred IPA was about $14/6er, money saved! Day something and I don’t miss it a bit.