Notices

One Year & Over Part 65

Old 12-12-2018, 05:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

One Year & Over Part 65

Last part here

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...t-64-a-20.html (One Year & Over Part 64)

D
Old 12-12-2018, 07:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

PJ is through his surgery and recovering in the burns unit.
was more complicated than they thought... xxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 12-12-2018, 10:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

PJ, I’m pleased the surgery is done, take care and rest well.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

THANKEE, big share in C/OJuly 13 about the slice 'n sew then go.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

A speedy recovery PJ.

I have to repair the bathroom door today. My youngest doesn't know how strong she is, no wonder her team mates call her 'Nails'.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

I forgot to tell y'all my good news.
Back in the summer my HbA1c blood sugar figure was 59, yesterday the doctor rang to tell me it is down to 49. Still diabetic but getting there, seven to go.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That’s great, Andy!

PJ, sending many positive thoughts for your recovery

Have a good Thursday, Overs.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good stuff Andy
Old 12-13-2018, 01:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Best wishes for a quick recovery PJ.

Congrats on your lowered numbers Andy.

Have a a good day all!
Old 12-13-2018, 02:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Magsie

Great news Andy!

PJ, hope you’re resting!
Old 12-13-2018, 03:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

PJ, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Andy, great news on the numbers!

Dee, thanks for the fresh thread.

Have a Thunderous Thursday, overs!
Old 12-13-2018, 08:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Magsie

No thunder here Fbl
Old 12-13-2018, 11:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Lost a post I thought went through congratulating Least on her 9 years, and Mags asking after her redundancy, IP telling her the vacay area in BC looks like a town in Colorado they use for the opening credits on the Ranch Series on Amazon Prime, congratulating Toots on finding her perfect house, and Andy on his and FBL's Spoonerisms, and wishing PJ good luck on his upcoming surgery.

New Biz:
PJ get well soon, glad you are on the mend, and will go read the full story as soon as I remember what C/O was.

Toots,
Downzizing is good for the soul, especially if you make a bundle on estate sales, and get the joy of passing things along to grateful family and friends, and the rest to needy folk who can use a positive boost.

Carlin did a great bit about stuff:

I agree with him, and as one who moved all the time as a kid, and adult at least every 1- 5 years, I was aware of my stuff. We had weight limits according to rank, and back when I was active duty, the Internet had just begun by 1995 and few online books in 1997 when we retired. So I lugged around first editions, my collector bound Tolkien everything, my reference works for history and encyclopedia Brittanica I always bought used for under 100 bucks, because history does not change. Although some are trying to inject beliefs over facts in them, revisionism, Roll eyes.

But I digress. When we decided to full time RV we put everything in storage and for seven years had only a few jeans and Ts, a long sleeve a jacket, a zip up hoodie and one dress up biz casual. The rest was just a computer and a few electronics before the age of the flat screen TV and WiFi.

Stuff is like people. We love stuff but if we take pics or a nich short video these days, we can remember the flavor of a part of our lives. IT also provides video proof of what was shipped and condition. I always did an overview first and then the detailed for insurance if needed inventory so I can go and starting in 1984 when we got our first Sony Hi8 cam. Smart phones would not emerge until 2007. We are downsizing drastically this time too. I have had enough of yard work and large acreage. It is at its peak, it is sad when folks get too old and let their world fall apart. I don't mind calling in a tech for maintenance and doing simple electrical and plumbing myself. I could go for a Condo except we have little patience with noisy neighbors of whatever age, and if we turn up the music don't want others only a wall away. But eventually, all of our worlds will shrink to one bed, in one room, and if we are lucky and loving ourselves may have picked up a pard or friends like several of us have, to surround us with validation and love that tells us we matter. As do they being needed by us.

Hi Badge,
Sorry you are having anxiety attacks. I never had them until I got sober and then had a couple that scared the hell out of me. They were from fear of the PAWS mood swings being permanent. THat's what I got from here on SR. Folks who could reassure me that I was not the only recovering alky who had temporary short term memory issues and severe mood swings, suddenly itchy dry skin, and afraid I was never going to be "normal" again. For me, the fear of another anxiety attack contributed and learned that like what Roosevelt said during the depression, the only thing we have to fear is fear itself. Discovering that is highly personal, and for me required reassurance face to face with counselors and AA meetings for three months. I had the REBT as a lifestyle already, just got hooked on alcohol slowly.

Guys I am still doing computer makeovers here because of the Microsoft fiasco in updates but I am over the hump it seems.

Still house hunting but settled on Colorado Springs since the water is again safe from the firefighting foam carcinogens, and it was actually South of the Springs around Ft carson and well water that was contaminated.

So wish us luck and Toots, I hope we are next in finding the perfect downsize dwelling to make a home. We are ready.

Least my dear friend, I offer a belated congrats on your 9 years of sobriety and thank you again for your friendship along with the others here in my first year of sobriety, now 8 years last September, along with Dee, Zip, FBL, Murray, LaFemme, and all the others no longer here. Now I am very grateful for you my friends here on Overs. Sassy, Star, Suze, FG, Gil, IP, CK, Andy, Mags, Toots and anyone I forgot. You have my gratitude for sticking by us all.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Member

My essay on stuff, from my RV website.

"There's just something about walking into the house and everything you worked for is gone in a matter of days." There lies the heart of the matter. The significant statement if you will. You indeed did work for "things." You stored them, cleaned them, repaired them, moved them, protected them from theft by others, replaced them with newer/better. You yearned to acquire them, and for a period of time they drew your attention pleasurably until they became part of the background "noise" of a full life. Thing's don't work for you in the way you meant either, they sit inanimate, while love, life, and dreams happen around and on them. You didn't work for them, you worked to have them, they were your choices for the time and place in your life.

When you go to an Estate sale don't you get a little of the same feeling in a house full of things displayed? Contrasted by wondering what anybody kept such junk for with a few exceptions? If houses were forever, then where are the houses from 200 years ago? If furniture was forever where is the furniture that you owned 30 years ago? Yes there are exceptions. But what is a $25,000.00 antique table? Just a table when all is said and done, right?

As retired military we had the same feelings when we looked at our house or quarters for the last time, empty. Despite the fact that our things would be waiting for us, at our new location. Exactly the same feelings. A loss of the familiar, a review of the memories, a mixture of excitement at the new adventure, and a tingle of apprehension. Since the feelings are the same, what exactly do they mean? Loss? Gain?

Human transitions to a new place or status are usually accompanied by ritual, celebrations, ceremonies, symbols, talismans, and proclamations. The cutting of the cord, the one year sobriety brass coin, the bedtime stories, giving away the bride, the rings, certificates, diplomas, awards, all help us take that bold step, into a sudden and meaningful change. Some view them with excitement and anticipation, some have to be dragged kicking and screaming, some refuse to make the transition. Going away parties and housewarming parties are the same thing, to help meet the challenges of a new experience in life.

Changing jobs, and residences are two of the top five stressful situations in life according to the experts. Divorce and retirement are in the top ten as well. Changing location is also on the list, since you can change residences but still be in the same town. Taking a different view than your peers can be even more so.

I submit that you are not looking at an empty house, and have not lost things. I submit that you are taking a last look at the memories, the familiar, the tears and the joy. And that might be a mistake. The memories are always yours to keep, the joy came from within, not the things. Besides you will still have things to take care of on your journey. If you ever want any of those things again you can simply buy them, they made millions of each. Except for the small talismans of our lives.

Getting rid of the memories? Who said you have to get rid of the memories? There is no question about this- as long as we, and/OR, our family and friends exist, those memories are real. They define where we've been, and help with where we are.

Memories are not the result of objects. Like the rock in the yard, they just sit there. We assign them any significance in our world. They, in and of themselves, are only worth their market value. Nothing more.

Now tell me if I am wrong here. If you had closed your eyes in your house, when all of your things were still there, and invoked those memories, is it any different than if you joined Mr. Glenn on his most recent space flight and closed your eyes there and invoked them?

It isn't either/or with material things, and the memories they represent my friend. A rock in the yard has as much significance as a house, or the cookware you cooked with. They can trigger your memory, but never have it themselves, they don't count. The memory is indeed yours, independant of any object. Love, and that intangible feeling of security that family and friends provide, are intangible talismans of life, and do count. The smiles and miles. The obstacles overcome together. For my Grandfather, I keep the Ben Wade Pipe I gave him, and the silver cup, spoon, and napkin ring he and Gramma gave me when I was born.

For Gramma I keep a picture that hung over her living room for years.

For my mother I keep a religious keepsake that she used daily, even though I didn't share the belief.

I didn't keep, nor want the expensive, big, or "material things."

Instead, I have maybe 1.5 pounds of "stuff." And tons of wonderful memories and experiences and valued advice that was the signature of our lives. Of course the pictures, movies and videos make keeping the things a waste of space!

Tangible talismans are important. But they really aren't the big things for me. And perhaps not for you. No one else has been there, seen it, done it, and has the T-shirt of my life. My T-shirt has stains on it too. Some from tears shed together, others from the icing on the cake. But there are lots of spaces for more stains, and I know that they would all, friends and family, here and gone, all, would want me to complete staining it with life.

Keep a few small talismans. For when you need to touch what has gone before. They will serve.

Like a carousel, there are ponies, seats, swans, lions, tigers, whatever, for the riders to sit on or ride up and down on. It really doesn't matter whether you are on the ponies that move, or the stationary seats, the carousel must stop for all. All must pay for their ticket to get on, and all must get off at the end of the ride. The carousel isn't the RV, the seat choice is. Like that ride some look to the middle, pleased by the seemingly stationary paintings and decorations that never move, and the calliope that plays the same tune over and over. You'll note that others look outward, and revel instead in the change of scenery, the sense of motion, looking to the horizon. Still others only look for the friend or family member, needing only to share the ride with them, with sparkling eyes, once every revolution. No one gets to ride forever. All need a ticket, and a way to get home, when the ride is indeed over. Many never get to ride in either type of seat, lacking the price of admission, or the courage, they can only watch. And dream."

It is copyrighted, but it is also pertinent to sobriety.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

good words Itch
Old 12-13-2018, 12:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

c/o = class of, btw, fyi, imo
Old 12-13-2018, 05:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Magsie

Itchy, hubby is leaving next week on the 21st, he had the choice and took it.

PJ, good news on going home!
Old 12-13-2018, 07:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

repeat post...feeling a little 'put out' at the mo

Not over, not done. The topflight surgeon (the saviour of me) now want to do at least 2 more ops- with probable grafting. Too much damage, too little skin, nerves, muscle to do in one op- that took an hour. So another half year of strict instructions, splinted hands and throbbing soreness (they offered me endone to take home- which I flatly refused..Panadol and brufen for breakthrough- nothing else, my body- my rules wuth meds. They gave me 2 endone when I woke up from the general anaes- local not a choice, when I was not thinking and groggy and I hate that cognitive feeling of being out of control - too much like when I had hallucinations with the drugs I had last time I has ops).
Plus 6 hours sleep since Wed- and the 3 hour wait for one nurse to organize one appointment made me stroppy. I started doing laps of the hall until my paperwork was done, just the one appt.

Did the HALTS bit, ate the healthy meal I made before going in Thursday, took my Panadol- and now I have decided to feel just a little bit sorry for myself..just a little mind.

This all started in the taxi in the way home and I remembered my sons....

sigh.

But considering where I was last time I was an inpatient, small potatoes.

Have a good day all, I plan to.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi everyone -

Tonights the first time that I've had "me" time in about 9 months. Hubby is out of town, baby is asleep, and I turned on some jazz, got into my fuzzy robe, made myself a cup of tea, and logged in. Yes!!!! It's wonderful to see friendly faces. I'm happy, and life is good.

PJ - Wow. I wasn't able to find the cause of your injury, but from what I saw about your surgery, and burn recovery, my heart goes out to you. It sounds like you have an excellent doctor and you are getting the best care from the best people. Like you said, this is not your first rodeo, and what's happened in the past makes us stronger to meet the challenges ahead. Please be gentle with yourself and your emotions. I hope that you can get some sleep

Least - Congrats! 9 years. Wow that flew by!

Itchy - Thanks for re-writing a good portion of your post. It's good to hear how you are doing

Suze - I saw on another thread that you've found a career that you love and are going for it. I missed the details, but I couldn't be happier for you!

Toots - Yay! Congrats on finding your new home

Andy - Congrats on much improved health!

Snoozy - Congrats on your weight loss, (and I hope that I spelled your name here correctly. I always recognize you by your image)

Dee - Yay! Thx for the new thread. Always good to see you.

My update. Gosh, just about everything has changed in the past 9 months. I had our baby girl at the end of March. Yes it is a lot of work, but she's a happy, easy baby who is just a joy to be around. I was so concerned that we would lose her for the majority of my pregnancy that looking back, I was slow to make the mental shift into baby & mom hood. For example, I didn't buy any clothes, and I set up her pack n play the week before my due date, so I've been running a bit by the seat of my pants.

She's got her dad's personality, and she is awesome. I've dismissed that she is so lovely to spend time with until a few mom's sat me down independently and basically gave me the "you do KNOW that not all babies are like this..." talk. (I actually really didn't know b/c I've never spent time around babies.) She stops strangers. Ex: tonight I went to the grocery pharmacy to pick up an Rx for her, and during the 5 mins of check out, she smiled, waived at every person, and I think 20 people came over to interact with her. She LOVES subways, and planes. The more new faces and people that smile at her, the more she smiles back, and it goes from there. I know that this is only a short phase, but for now I'm loving it.

Now to quickly recap the rest: When she was just 2 months old we lost our housing, so we (I) had to look, and find housing, and then move. That was exhausting. I mostly did it all b/c my husband was in the middle of interviewing. It took him 3 months, but he finally got a fantastic new job that he loves. I shot tendons in both of my thumbs due to the move and basically couldn't hold anything, or scroll on my phone. I also had a cancer scare starting 6 weeks after delivery (eek! - not what I wanted now that I'm actually responsible for someone who depends on me), but biopsy results were clear and I'll be monitored going forward. Next I had a teaching job at a prestigious university fall into my lap starting at 4 months postpartum. Then a week later, another prestigious university offered me a different teaching appointment . (Looks like I'm a professor now - never expected that!) With a year long wait on daycare, I found a place for baby in just 2 weeks so that I could lecture (Actually, baby closed that deal.....did I mention that she is easy and lovely). Just like that, I was working again after nearly 10 years out of the job market (and having to figure out clothing b/c NOTHING fit, pumping, and all that goes into starting a new job & career & getting house to run w/o me at the helm 24/7). I'm just now wrapping up my first semester on 2 classes, and will be teaching 3 new ones starting in Jan. Phew! That was a lot!

There is more (lots of solo travel with baby), but I think that that the only other talking point is that I definitely married the right person. He's an amazing dad, and wonderfully supportive of me.

Anyway, I'll say it again. It's SOOO wonderfully lovely to pop in here and see your warm friendly faces. This is the first forum that I have ever joined, and you all make this a VERY special place. Let me say that the mom groups are, well, their own pot of guilt, shaming, and well, basically just the opposite of what they are supposed to be....

I'm not sure if I'll make it back on before the holidays. Please know that I hold you all in my thoughts, even when I'm not checking in. I hope that you have a wonderful start to 2019.

Oh, I almost forgot! Today the baby took her first FORWARD real crawl motions today on all 4s. It's so exciting!!!!!...I'm not ready!

Hugs and more Hugs (and more hugs!!!!)
Old 12-13-2018, 11:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Itch
Good to hear from you SE and to hear all is going great with you - and bubs

D