Notices

Class of August 2017 Part 7

Old 08-29-2018, 07:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of August 2017 Part 7

last part here
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-6-a-21.html (Class of August 2017 Part 6)

D
Old 08-31-2018, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello class! Pretty quiet so I thought I'd break the ice ~ Thanks Dee for the new thread

Holiday/three day weekend approaching here with not much of a plan set in motion....not so good! Plus its payday, but at least I got the financial responsibilities out of the way first - paycheck almost spent already....probably a good thing!

Hope everyone is doing okay
Old 09-02-2018, 12:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Morning all!

Purps, it still amazes me how a paycheque can all but disappear, with no or little effort, all thanks to debit orders!

Tyger, it seems your “drinking is dying” motto has certainly paid off, although there is obviously a lot more than that involved. Congrats on one year!

Lily, enjoy your vacation in Spain, and all the best to you too, Leana.

I’m still following your other threads, Snuf, and thinking of you. I am sure things will soon go in the right direction for you. I am very happy to see that you are sticking close to SR, no matter what.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I miss you guys, and I miss this thread.

Thank you so much for following my story Captain H, I really hope I can turn my crappy life around this time. I hope you’re doing fine, my dear friend. Post here a little update how things are if you feel like it.

Hi Purps!! How have you been?

Lily, wow, vacation in Spain sounds awesome! Pics please?

Tyger, congrats again on 1 year.

How are you, Leana?
Old 09-07-2018, 01:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello all, how are you. It's a grey rainy autumn day here.
The weather was so good this week, I went a lot it the forest gathering mushrooms and relaxing, but today it's raining so I'll stay inside for now

Hope you are all doing well.

This week I was home from work with stress, next week I'll start working part time. I really feel I need to slow down a bit to get my mind in shape, without even realising it I think trying to live sober takes is toll in it's own way - dealing with the world without hiding in a bottle takes some time getting used to.
I am glad I have a very good sponsor and a good doctor too - I was very positively surprised my doctor advised looking into mindfulness and relaxation rather than just throwing some pills after me
And even though I know the Big Book says no human power could have relieved our alcoholism, my sponsor has sure done an awesome job along the way - he rocks!
Old 09-09-2018, 02:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hola everyone, so great to see wee have a new thread, thanks Dee. Well I am back from my Spanish adventure. I have holidayed in Spain many times over the years but this was my first time as a sober person. It was truly wonderful. My daughter and son in law had their beers by the pool, wine with dinner, booze in the apartment but I was so content without it. Many happy hours spent making memories with my family, especially my wee grandson. ��

I hope everyone is well, I have a bit of catching up to do but it is so good to see you guys posting. Purps, snuf, how are you guys doing this weekend? Tyger, I am sorry you are feeling stressed but your doctor is right to recommend the things he did, I swear by meditation and mindfulness, so bloody good for your sense of well being.

I’d love to see everyone check in with an update and hear how all my classmates are doing. Love you guys xxx
Old 09-24-2018, 05:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mr

Part 7 and the brave are here, lily, tyger, snuf, Captn, Purps and as ever our D. I am delighted to say I am still sober and it's been about 7 months now. Working on myself as much as possible. Trying to become a good sober guy.

I feel a bit like you tyger often enough, getting used to dealing with everything sober is a challenge. I had been expecting it and its been living up to its expectations.

I'm not entitled to make this comment
but the last post was the 09/09...
Where are you guys ... ?
Old 09-24-2018, 03:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello, how are you all
The last weeks have had it's ups and down for me.
MY GF moved out and went home to her own country, and to be honest I think it's for the best for both of us. I must admit it was a bit too much for me to handle, to have to take care of her life as well as my own, and I saw her motivation for trying to make it work here just faded, she stopped applying for jobs, quit language school, etc, and I think it just wasn't meant to be, at least not now.
Work wise things haver been tough too, I was on sick leave because of stress and then my boss chose to sack me, and now I can't even get paid sick leave because of some stupid bureaucrazy. Turns out you have to have worked for at least 40 hours per months for 6 month prior to applying for sick leave benefits to get any money. As I worked full time I have way more than 40 hours most months (I worked 40 hours most weeks!), except winter time because I'm a gardener. And as they only count whole calander months (not 6 months from the date you get sick) I do not qualify to get a penny. Had I waited to get sick 3 more days, I'd had full pay. But what can you do, you can't argue with rigid laws.
I don't even care much, I am sure I will manage. I survived being broke and drunk for most of my life, so being broke and sober shouldn't be much of a challenge I have food, a nice home and such wonderful things to experience every day that are for free. The full moon is shining here, and the stars are so bright!
I hope to get a new job soon, i am sure I will manage, I just couldn't handle the attitude of my previous work anymore, and if a decent job comes up I am sure it has all been for the best.

And I am busy in AA, which is lovely. I get so many invites to speak at meetings, which I enjoy a lot. It's funny, I always get a lot of these invites when my life is tough and I need to up my AA, so it's perfect

So to sum it up, the girl left me and I lost my job, but being a sober drunk, I can't afford to be negative about it
Old 09-24-2018, 05:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry about the job & your gf, but great attitude Tyger

D
Old 09-28-2018, 06:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Being sober is cool Today I went to 2 job interviews, and I got offered boths jobs
Now I just need to make up my mind which to chose.

Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend!
Old 09-28-2018, 10:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Tyger, hearing about the two job offers I am very happy for you. I’m sorry that your girlfriend left, but if you say that it’s for the best for both of you, there is probably no one better to judge.

The job offers obviously change the picture, but I love the following that you had to say:

Originally Posted by SoberTyger View Post
I survived being broke and drunk for most of my life, so being broke and sober shouldn't be much of a challenge I have food, a nice home and such wonderful things to experience every day that are for free. The full moon is shining here, and the stars are so bright!
Congrats Vman on 7 months and thanks for briefly sharing your experience.

Thank you too Dee, for staying involved in the thread.

As for myself, I almost 4 months sober, and very grateful for it.

Now could the others chip in and tell us how they are doing as well, please, please?
Old 09-29-2018, 11:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberTyger View Post
Hello, how are you all
The last weeks have had it's ups and down for me.
MY GF moved out and went home to her own country, and to be honest I think it's for the best for both of us. I must admit it was a bit too much for me to handle, to have to take care of her life as well as my own, and I saw her motivation for trying to make it work here just faded, she stopped applying for jobs, quit language school, etc, and I think it just wasn't meant to be, at least not now.
Work wise things haver been tough too, I was on sick leave because of stress and then my boss chose to sack me, and now I can't even get paid sick leave because of some stupid bureaucrazy. Turns out you have to have worked for at least 40 hours per months for 6 month prior to applying for sick leave benefits to get any money. As I worked full time I have way more than 40 hours most months (I worked 40 hours most weeks!), except winter time because I'm a gardener. And as they only count whole calander months (not 6 months from the date you get sick) I do not qualify to get a penny. Had I waited to get sick 3 more days, I'd had full pay. But what can you do, you can't argue with rigid laws.
I don't even care much, I am sure I will manage. I survived being broke and drunk for most of my life, so being broke and sober shouldn't be much of a challenge I have food, a nice home and such wonderful things to experience every day that are for free. The full moon is shining here, and the stars are so bright!
I hope to get a new job soon, i am sure I will manage, I just couldn't handle the attitude of my previous work anymore, and if a decent job comes up I am sure it has all been for the best.

And I am busy in AA, which is lovely. I get so many invites to speak at meetings, which I enjoy a lot. It's funny, I always get a lot of these invites when my life is tough and I need to up my AA, so it's perfect

So to sum it up, the girl left me and I lost my job, but being a sober drunk, I can't afford to be negative about it
Amazing positive attitude here! Love this post.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Check in. 1 year 2 months 8 hours according to sober app.

Still going to my SMART meeting once a week which I genuinely love attending. Still reading on SR but just not been posing. School time is very busy.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello every one, hope you all had a nice weekend!

Friday was interesting for me. I was in the city for an AA meeting in the evening and after the meeting I really felt like I wanted to just sit and chat with people, not go home and be alone. I started strolling around the city, it was friday evening and payday and the streets were already full of drunk people or people heading out for the bars.
If I ever had walked around sober on a friday night before I'd felt envious, restless and unhappy if I werent heading out for a drink. Now I felt good, just observing, I don't think I ever saw what a friday night looks like with clear eyes in the city before.
I dawned on me I had promished to hook up with an old friend for a coffee, we just never managed to find a time to do it. I used to drink with this friend, and I'd called him many months ago for a 9th step, and I'd seen on facebook he just got a new job as a bartender at a small bar, and I knew he is the kind of guy who would never drink at work, so I was sure he'd be sober - so I decided to head over to that bar and see my old friend and drink some coffee. It was great, I think we were the only 2 sober people in the room, but we had a great time and I ended up sitting there for 3 hours talking to my friend, while the rest of the room descended into drunken stupidity. It's the first time I've just sat in a bar since I sobered up, and I just found nothing attractive in that lifestyle anymore. Even if the majority of people there were not alcoholics, just amateurs out for a friday night bender, there was nothing they had I wanted anymore.
But I had a great time talking to my friend and he was really happy i came, so he had at least one sober guy to talk to all evening
Old 10-01-2018, 11:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Another inspirational post, thanks Tyger.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I agree with the Captain!
Old 10-25-2018, 10:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hello, how are you all!

Today it's 14 months since my last drink, and I feel better than ever.
I'm starting to think that I took a full year and a bit for my mind to fully recover, because now I feel more present, mentally fit, balanced and spiritually awake than ever.

I love my sober life. I know I have yet many things to improve - in my life - and as a person, but I feel good, and i really treasure the moments alone and social life in sobriety.
It's funny how in our culture, alcohol so so tied in with socialzing - yet, the social relationships I have in sobriety are so much better, deeper and more meaningful than what I had drinking.
I would definately not trade my friends in sobriety and recovery with any of my old drinking friends - though I hope some of my old drinking friends will come to the rooms of AA some day
Old 10-25-2018, 02:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

great update Tyger - congrats on 14 months

D
Old 10-31-2018, 07:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Sorry I've been a stranger for so long. I got 5 months on Sunday.

Things have been good overall. I've had some issues with the bf but things are better now. He has no filter, but he is working on it.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good to see you, Tyger and you too, Leana! It’s been mighty quiet around here... I hope to see more posts soon!