Notices

A Different Path Part Three

Old 08-05-2018, 01:38 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

PJ, what do you mean, "pierce" the shells? Do you mean right after they've molted and have the new, soft shells?

We deep-fry soft-shell crabs here and eat them in sandwiches.

Inside the steamed blue crabs yesterday there was a brownish-black film on both sides of the body (it is edible, but easier to scrape away with the gills). That was the beginnings of a new shell that would have eventually replaced the old.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:43 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi, Shenzy! I love the Westie in your avatar!

There's a lady in the March 2013 thread who has both a Westie and a Scottie! What fun that must be!

When I was a little kid I used to dream of having a Westie, a Scottie, and a Cairn all at the same time! I enjoy feisty!

They're too fast and energetic for me now, though.

Once I dog-sat a Cairn and he loved to escape and run just out of my reach. Then I'd lunge--then he'd step away farther and pant at me like he was laughing in my face--then he'd take off for an hour!

Finally when he was hungry he'd come back and bark to be let in.

What a great time I had watching that crazy dog!

He would bark whenever he saw another dog on TV!

I just wrote more about him on the Weekender Thread.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:54 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Kathy, pleased the crab event went well. Have another great crab day today.

V-man, great photos.. love them.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:57 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Ha, Mags, all crabs and tell-tale evidence of crabs is gone!

My family hopes they're out of my system!
Old 08-05-2018, 02:00 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Vman, I did suffer no pain yesterday or so far today.

I did have a minor pang after I ate the pizza last night, but that was just one of those things that would have happened any old time. It was nothing at all cancer-related.

I felt free as a bird yesterday, and do today, too.

I believe your prayers assisted considerably in that, so thank you again very much.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:35 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Today my oldest son comes up for a visit.

We'll have our mother-son bucket list day tomorrow.

He is bringing some sort of ultra-fancy Spanish coffee press to make me extra-special coffee.

I deeply appreciate the effort, but I'm the kind who can drink any old black coffee of any kind, even if it is hours old and burnt, or days old and reheated in the microwave (I draw the line at lily pads)!

I do not have a cultured and sensitive palate. (Nor did I have one with wine. Total Philistine!).

But anyway, he's rolling out the red carpet for me with the special coffee. Even though I'm like a block of wood, we will discuss the subtleties of flavor and the superiority to the pedestrian Keurig I have.

I should offer him a cup of instant!

That's the classy part of the day.

Then we'll dine at my favorite bare-bones Mexican restaurant, because he knows he can make me very happy there on the cheap!

Then we'll come home and explore cinematic treasures of the late twentieth century.

Back to back Jackass movies!

I bought plenty of microwave popcorn for the occasion!

This is the son who was laughing out loud at one week old!

He is the one whom I am always threatening to slap upside his head.

We are a very weird mother-and-son combo!

Plenty of cigar smoking will ensue with this one, too.

He is the one who had a drinking problem at the same time I did (I used to buy him a big bottle of ale on his visits to match mine). I was always a quiet, grinning, nodding drunk; however, he apparently used to get argumentative with his brothers and dad. Eventually he quit, soon after I did.

Last year his brother told me he had decided to resume drinking "a beer or two, socially."

I was distraught at the prospect of an alcoholic attempting to "moderate," my son falling into a trap that would be doubly hard to extricate himself from in the future.

I asked him about it, and he said that his good church friends, who are his main companions, would keep an eye on him, and if they felt he was getting out of hand, they would tell him and he would remain accountable and stop again.

Hmm. Ok...

I have not discussed it with him since. His brother, though, says that he does drink only moderately, true to his word, and doesn't get drunk these days.

His brother quoted him as saying that the heavy drinking occurred at a time in his life when he felt very discouraged, like a total screw-up. Now, though, he feels content and at peace, so he doesn't feel the need to obliterate himself.

I hope that is true. I will probe gently during our visit. I hope he does not ask to have a drink in front of me. He knows I'm an alcoholic, because we made a big deal of quitting together. He knows how concerned I am that he's gone back to drinking.

For him to ask me for permission to have a drink would tell me that he HAS to have it!

But I'm probably borrowing trouble. My other son says he's true to his word, and does only drink a beer or two now and then--thus, he will not try to drink while he's here in my house, on a trip to honor me.

I hope not!
Old 08-05-2018, 03:17 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Kathy, I am so pleased to hear you have such a terrific, thoughtful family! The cigars are a hoot

For me, crab cakes can be awesome but eating shellfish, not so much. And we won’t even mention raw oysters - or even the word “oyster”.

Have a lovely day!
Old 08-05-2018, 03:21 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I find that oysters are a subject that nobody is neutral about!
Old 08-05-2018, 04:40 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Mr

I still have scars from opening oysters.
They all love them here but vman alway gets to do the opening....
Old 08-05-2018, 04:56 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

We're also not neutral about okra.

It's the texture, right?

I'm glad you can see and type now. Your stories are lovely.

~Blessings.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:09 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Thanks, Trach.

You did the unthinkable: you mentioned okra!

They’re going to run us both out of town now!
Old 08-05-2018, 05:37 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Pastafarian

What a nice couple of stories for me as I check back in! Nothing I'd rather read about that dogs and kids.!

Your dog sounds like he was amazing. I have had a ton of dogs in my life. One was like you describe. She was very fun and loyal. i mean all dog are loyal but this one made the others look like slackers.

Your kid sounds great too. Laughing at 1 week old! Amazing.

Tough to moderate though after being a heavy drinker. I've tried that. I did stick to two beers a day max. However, it became two beers a day that I had to have and I mean every day. A real habit.

Then when I'd have a really bad day or be tempted socially, I might have three. Three I learned was the damage point. I'd feel it the next day.

So I always tried to stick to two. Pretty soon I started to feel it with even two. I finally decided two was not tolerable as a habit. So I'm back to zero.

Glad to hear you are feeling no pain. I know you will have fun with the son. Can't wait to hear about that.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:42 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Thanks, Trach.
??? I thought you could see better now?

Random thoughts...soft-shelled crab sandwiches YUM!... little legs sticking out of the bun...I like a large, flathead screwdriver for shucking oysters...fried oyster po-boys with remoulade...now, I'm hungry...I need to break out my dehydrator and make some okra crisps...
Old 08-05-2018, 05:47 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Thanks, Trach.

You did the unthinkable: you mentioned okra!

They’re going to run us both out of town now!
I love okra!
Old 08-05-2018, 05:48 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BP2 View Post
I love okra!
blech.

~signed, trach.

Yes, I know it *says* biminiblue, but I'm trach. Now everyone will be confused, because trach loves okra.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:50 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Bim, which of us is real and which the sock puppet?
Old 08-05-2018, 05:52 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I can see great now, Trach! No more eyestrain!

I am back on my computer. Everything is 100 x easier: posting pictures, doing bold and italics, reading the entire screen at a time--and, of course, simple visibility!

Nobody's fooled, Bim!
Old 08-05-2018, 05:54 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I can see great now, Trach! No more eyestrain!

I am back on my computer. Everything is 100 x easier: posting pictures, doing bold and italics, reading the entire screen at a time--and, of course, simple visibility!

Nobody's fooled, Bim! :
Except you, apparently.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:55 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

LOL!

Great to see you again, Need2Know!

Hope all is going well in your neck of the woods!
Old 08-05-2018, 05:56 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hi, Shenzy! I love the Westie in your avatar!

There's a lady in the March 2013 thread who has both a Westie and a Scottie! What fun that must be!

When I was a little kid I used to dream of having a Westie, a Scottie, and a Cairn all at the same time! I enjoy feisty!

They're too fast and energetic for me now, though.

Once I dog-sat a Cairn and he loved to escape and run just out of my reach. Then I'd lunge--then he'd step away farther and pant at me like he was laughing in my face--then he'd take off for an hour!

Finally when he was hungry he'd come back and bark to be let in.

What a great time I had watching that crazy dog!

He would bark whenever he saw another dog on TV!

I just wrote more about him on the Weekender Thread.
Hiya
We love Westies, Scotties & Cairns....they have crazy personalities. The kids are desperate for a friend for our Westie and they want a Scottie aswell.
Our last Westie was a TV watcher.....he especially loved the Disney movie "Homeward Bound" …..
Ours is continually on the lookout for food (or birds - he likes to chase the birds - never caught one yet though lol).

You have a good day...…
xxxx