Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 3

Old 03-22-2017, 06:51 AM
  # 501 (permalink)  

Hi Purple Cat,

I'm reading your post again, and I was reminding myself as I walked to work today, "I am never drinking again, and I am not going to change my mind."

One of the biggest challenges for me is that my state is now relaxing alcohol sales, meaning that I can now just swing by a corner of the grocery store and add beers to my trip. My wife even knows that the biggest problem was that I would come home with alcohol - and there wasn't a thing she could do to back me off other than pour it out - which I fought because it was "wasteful". It was really that I wanted it - or my AV/Beast did.

I love to cook - so I often go to the grocery store 3-4 nights a week to get inspired for dinner. I think I'm going to have to change that habit to start making a list and planning meals so that I go to the store less, and maybe I can go with my wife more often, rather than just making it a stop on the way home from work where I can give in.

I also have been shopping at Trader Joe's more often - no beer there! I just have to avoid the big local chain and Whole Foods.

Like I said, I was sober last night, and I am grateful this morning. I am not afraid of not sleeping well anymore - that is a big win. I used to be so terrified and get anxiety. It was self-created. It might not be lights out once my head hits the pillow, but if I start a routine, I'm fine. I used to think, "Well, at least if I drink, I'll sleep," but I was passing out. I'd wake up tired, sick, groggy. Now, I feel good come 10am, not clenching my abdominal muscles, pulling myself through the day.

For you, PurpleCat, I'm going to clear off the treadmill today and do some walking. Eventually, I'll get into jogging, but you have to start somewhere. Small improvements and good habits can add up, right?

-Axe (Almost wrote my real name!)
Old 03-22-2017, 10:20 AM
  # 502 (permalink)  
Meow

Yay axe! That's the way to think it through!

Small changes do lead to bigger ones so I think you're on the right track (pun intended) with the treadmill.

So I finally quit drinking and PA relaxes their rules, hunh? My husband's family has a camp in the Allegheny National Forest, and when we'd run out of beer on Sundays we'd have to run into Ridgway and hit the local bar to carry some out. I always thought PA liquor laws were weird.

I haven't gone to camp in a couple years, but we are going this summer for a bit of a family reunion. We will be staying at a state park with our camper, though. I'm not into using outhouses any more. lol
Old 03-22-2017, 01:21 PM
  # 503 (permalink)  

PA was odd - bars could sell 6 packs, but anything larger was a beer distributor, which could also sell soda and snacks and tobacco, but nothing else. Wine and Spirits are all State Stores.

They're now allowing grocery and gas stations to slowly get into beer and wine, but with oz limits and odd rules. Beer distributors can now sell smaller quantities.

It will be progressively more pervasive, but I know I can't drink and keep my health, happiness, or sanity if I do. So, easy choice for now. And I will work on a plan for when it gets harder.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 504 (permalink)  

Hi Class,

SWAMPED with work----will be back soon.
Still standing strong---today is day # 46.
As soon as I can, I will come and catch up. Hope you are all doing well.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:20 PM
  # 505 (permalink)  

Purple Cat - had some cravings this afternoon but I remembered I promised you I'd do the right thing, so I am! My wife thanks you.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:26 PM
  # 506 (permalink)  

Day 29

Still sober, feeling good. Umm.... that's about it, haha. I really am feeling good. Still tired on a daily basis, but I've found that even though I may feel tired, I'm somehow able to have the energy to do the things I need to do. Maybe I'm finally breaking through the tired wall, hopefully.

Talk to you guys tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:32 PM
  # 507 (permalink)  

Wow! 46 and 29! So impressive. I want to be like you two.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:45 PM
  # 508 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for a new thread guys:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-4-a.html

D