Notices

Class of February 2016 Part 12

Old 03-24-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SansaS View Post
Well done on saying no 360. I would've found that incredibly hard. Did he stop drinking on the same day as you?

Thinking about him doing it again really freaked me out, made me anxious, but when it came down to the suggestion the NO just came out and I stuck to it.

He is 3 days behind me.

He cannot start drinking again and remain in the house. I won't raise our boys in that environment for one more day. I think that's why I get worried when he starts considering it. He's a good man and father, I love him tremendously, I would hate to see alcohol win. You know?

Good thing here is, he's only voiced his thoughts a couple times and in the end has decided not to drink. That's very positive to me.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SansaS View Post
Day 50 is fantastic badger!!! You must be so proud X celebrate with something lovely like a massage or new book.
My husband and older son have gone away camping (boys weekend) while myself and my little son stay home. So lovely to have some home time. I've been working really hard for the last few weeks so I'm really looking forward to some quiet time. Might take the dog out to our off lead area for a while and then go to the shops tomorrow and buy my son a treat X
I'm glad you have time with your little one. I think your plan is a good one, they need individual time, my opinion anyway. I have tonight free with my two littlest and we are going to start our vegetable plants tonight while dad goes roping.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

You need not be jealous Kim. It's yours to behold too.

Make the choice, batten down the hatches and summon the cavalry.

Victory is yours and only a resounding NO away!
There's always hope when we're on the right side of the ground.

Good job on 50 badger. You guys are all Rockstars!! Yes Kim that includes you

I just got off the phone with my lawyer.

Kim... I dropped my kids off when I was sober... and they aren't with me now. Won't be for a long time.

No drink is going to fix that. And I'm still strong and ok and there's nothing fortuitous or special about me. Just doing what I gotta do.

Good job 360. For reals. I still wonder to this day if I'd say no if my ex or best friend offered me a drink. Back in the day it was like a good Samaritan bringing me a glass of water in the middle of the dessert.

But, I did dump out the whiskey in the shop and dang did that feel satisfying.

I feel like a nap. How are all our sickos doing?
Old 03-24-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amazingjoy View Post
I know Mel it is insane! I'm reading The Naked Mind right now and it is helping me see how conditioned we are to this craziness despite what our bodies tell us.

I'm still swollen days afterwards. I lost 3lb overnight of my new day 1...that's a lot of puffiness!

Alcohol itself is actually ethanol just like what we put in our cars. Who would drink that? They have to add so many other things to make ethanol palatable. Even then, did we ever really like the taste of it or did we just drink it because we are conditioned to do so snd then ended up with all the cellular changes and dependence.

It is like drinking bleach or Drano...I'm sure with enough sugar, flavoring, etc. they could make that taste better too.
In my head if I think of the taste of a drink, I just think of drinking bleach instead. Makes me nauseous and the thought goes away.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

I don't worry much about the taste anymore.
My lawyer laid it all out pretty clear to me.
I may be on the right paths now but there's no more do overs for me. I might as well just think of giving everything away and signing my parental rights away if I even THINK of drinking. No car, no job, no house, worst of all no kids.
I'd rather die than lose more than I already have.

Oott I forgot to say, good job to you too bud!
Old 03-24-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Good job dumping it out Del. It was liberating when I dumped mine out.

My best friend is super stoked about me not drinking, I'd choke her if she offered and she knows this. DH is an alcoholic too, so I know his is his AV talking and reasoning. I can't choke him but I can remind him of why we are doing this. I read him parts of under the influence or something like that. I would hope he would be encouraging should I have a weak day, but it almost looks like I'm gonna have to be enough support for me and just stay strong. And I can post here of course!
Old 03-24-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
To this day, I'm sure I'd still love the taste of my favorite beverages.

I'm sure I could even stop at one or two and just, enjoy that buzz. Maybe slightly dislike standing on the edge of control for a bit.

But this is how non deluded I am at this point:

I recall laying in the detox centre on the brief detox unit. I was supposed to go to the social unit when I came in but I was going through very bad withdrawals so they wanted to be able to monitor me for awhile.
It was a truly long and awful night. Our first big snow storm and the BDU was many a homeless persons warm bed for the night. I remember feeling deeper and deeper pity for the souls coming in for a nights rest, even tho Lil ol white girl me lay in my bed somewhat fearful most of the night. A lot of the people coming in were on pretty harsh, bottom of the barrel stuff. Listerine , lysol, etc.
I remember feeling pity for them and thanking my addled mind that I hadn't sunk "quite that low".

But it dawned on me later. That at some point, I knew what was coming. The physical withdrawals, the anxiety ,the pain the fear.

And I remember before I left one of the program coordinators coming up to me, hugging me with tears in her eyes. She was this sweet little Korean lady. She said "you don't belong here. Take care of yourself"

And I cried. Because I had never felt so safe and understood. Here I was, somewhat pulled together, I was an eager participant, spoke up at every group session, and tried to help all my friends in detox with me. Anyhow.
Sometime before or after I got out, money was running out and **** was about to get bad.
I did think about buying listerine. I thought about selling my body. Like CRAZY crazy ****. Things I NEVER in a million years thought I'd ever consider.

I agree with my dear Korean friend. On one point. I don't belong there because I have things at my disposal to get myself better that sooooo many people just do not have. All they know is poverty and addiction because out here rates are high and it's extremely hard to break free from.
But I have support. A phone. Internet. A vehicle. Warm homes to stay.
And here I am crying over my 1st world problems of debt and insecurity, fear and anxiety and my bloody entitlement to drink.

I am no better but infinitely worse than my brothers and sisters in the battle of addiction.
I will always love me my favorite drinks.

But I will ALWAYS be one drink away from consiously CHOOSING a life so many die from or desperately want out of.

The why I would choose that or did is the insanity of it.
LOVE this post Del
Glad your interview went well!
Old 03-24-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

360 does your dh have an issue with alcohol? If not, it wouldn't seem like a marriage breaker... I've noticed now and always knew I had a much bigger problem than my dh. He has one... And maybe a couple on the weekend. Me, I'd have many. For everyone battling AV you have to stick with it and really want it to be able to really quit. Then AV goes away and missing it does too because you feel so great you LOVE not being a "drinker" anymore. I really like Dave Mattews too. Congrats on Day 50 Badger - Nice job! You must be feeling great? I got my first real paycheck today after starting my business two years ago. So excited to finally help pay off some household bills. Drs appt next week. Will be so interesting to see how my platelets and iron stores are doing now that I'm healthy.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Congrats Badger! 360, awesome! My spouse is not a drinker, must be hard to fight 2 AVs but you did it.

I don't think because someone is drinking they should be kicked out of a class. Knb, if you post B4 drinking though just may stop you! And truly I have no idea why you have alcohol in the house

Idk, I posted my fears of dying in my house and my cats eating me last time I was drinking. I hope that nonsense helped someone and was a deterrent. Never considered removing myself from the class. OOTT called me out, I appreciated it.

Knb , calling you out!!! Go home and get rid of ALL your alcohol, NOW!!! Do not let that hand go to your mouth again!!!!! LEAVE! !
Old 03-24-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
I understand. I am sorry. You are doing so well. You are an inspiration
I just want you to take care of yourself but it's out of my control and that makes me sad, just like all the other awful things that I wish I could control. I just hope you find a way to stop... don't know what else to say.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PHRD View Post
360 does your dh have an issue with alcohol? If not, it wouldn't seem like a marriage breaker... I've noticed now and always knew I had a much bigger problem than my dh. He has one... And maybe a couple on the weekend. Me, I'd have many. For everyone battling AV you have to stick with it and really want it to be able to really quit. Then AV goes away and missing it does too because you feel so great you LOVE not being a "drinker" anymore. I really like Dave Mattews too. Congrats on Day 50 Badger - Nice job! You must be feeling great? I got my first real paycheck today after starting my business two years ago. So excited to finally help pay off some household bills. Drs appt next week. Will be so interesting to see how my platelets and iron stores are doing now that I'm healthy.
Yeah he does, we both do. Equally bad. We both know it.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:34 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
I don't worry much about the taste anymore.
My lawyer laid it all out pretty clear to me.
I may be on the right paths now but there's no more do overs for me. I might as well just think of giving everything away and signing my parental rights away if I even THINK of drinking. No car, no job, no house, worst of all no kids.
I'd rather die than lose more than I already have.

Oott I forgot to say, good job to you too bud!
Amen sister I feel the same way about it. Drinking is not an option.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Is that the time?! Got a bit distracted by Netflix tonight guys. Goodnight! Catch you all in the morning.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
My thoughts right now:
I will die from liver disease
I will get cancer due to drinking

If you have any triggers. Dont react. It's your life here and not about having a red face. I can't stop at the moment. Called AA. Someone from AA came to see me and I still went out to drink.

Pls guys. Dont react to your triggers. I am fighting this but it's hard
knb, each time I've relapsed I realized afterwards that I did not make the hard changes in my life that were necessary for sobriety. One of those changes was to finally remove all alcohol from my home. If I had kept alcohol around for my guests, I would have eventually caved in. And for me, I realized subconsciously, that I really wanted to keep that alcohol around for myself, and not for my guests.

I cannot comprise with myself--and I cannot do this halfway. I have had to humble myself and make changes that are tough. But I'm OK with that, and I believe you can also be OK with making whatever changes are necessary for you to stay sober.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  
Administrator

Exclamation

Originally Posted by jobei View Post
Can you post about actively drinking and continuing to drink in a different forum? Maybe the 24 hour thread? It's not giving much support... it's actually making me think about drinking today.
Jobei I'm sorry you're feeling triggered.

Part of these support threads tho is to help people who are struggling, right now.

Of course that's includes you as much as anyone else.

Some solutions might be to use the ignore function, start your own thread, or move to another monthly thread?

(None of those are directives. I'm just trying to give you choices )

Knb - we all love you here - which is why I'm going to tell you that sitting there drinking is not helping you one bit.

You have a lot of tools you've learned and gained over several years - why not use them?

Years ago I started my recovery on Good Friday - a day when I knew I could get no booze.

Use whatever you have to fight this Kim.
D
Old 03-24-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to Badger and OT
Congrats to you too on the interview Del

I hope everyone has a safe happy and sober Easter

D
Old 03-24-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Hey its all good, just expressing how I felt. I thought about not writing anything but that hasn't really worked for me in the past.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

BIG CONGRATS to Badger on the Occasion of Day 50. I am really happy for both of us, and happy for all of us here, in fact. I feel close to everyone here and I love every one of you.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

I was thinking today about how strong we are. We are facing our problems, and more importantly, not BSing ourselves or each other. I think we're actually more emotionally and mentally grounded than a lot of people. We came in broken in varying degrees of emotional, mental, physical, spiritual distress, and just by interacting, and a lot of determination and resolve, we've each improved our lives.
Gosh, I'm close to gushing here. I better tone it down a little!
Old 03-24-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

I agree with you jobei. Seems fine to want to drink or have drank and look for support but to post while drinking defeats the whole purpose of the group just as I don't want to go watch someone take shots of whisky... My two cents. If you are currently drinking there is not much we can do to help you.