Notices

Class of February 2016 Part 11

Old 03-20-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Thank you sadie will order it tomorrow X
Old 03-20-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

I first tried to quit in 2010. 6 years ago. Ive joined many different classes and then dropped off. For those struggling, don't drop off. Stay here. Stop beating yourself up and say thats it. Im done. I quit. GardenGal and Knb I'm sure if you tell everyone you know that you've quit and start dedicating time to counseling and possible AA you will be able to keep your kids, make out well in court etc. But anything less than that and you will be taking a big risk. Lets go DAY 1, Lets go and start over! Its done. Time to move forward. Okay done my rant and cheering. I don't write as eloquently as many of you do and cant check in as often but I care about you all just as much and hope that you can really care about yourself enough to stop drinking the poison that alcohol is in your lives.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
Jeni and OT I can't get a baby sitter for an evening meeting tonight ( I am a single parent)

But I will going to try and get someone from AA to visit me if that's possible. I am desperate
Discuss your options with them knb, even just talking to a sober person for a while can be helpful.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SansaS View Post
I love not having to worry about what I might've said to someone. Not missing all the mind games.
^ This.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Is feeling a bit flat a symptom of paws?
Old 03-20-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Optimist4ever57 View Post

I would love to hear from others on this! What has been one of the best things to come of your sobriety?
The freedom to go anywhere at any time of the day or night and not have to work out if I'm over the limit to drive....my relationships with my grown-up kids...noticing how beautiful the world around me is, rather than having to lock myself away...living without guilt or regret.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
The freedom to go anywhere at any time of the day or night and not have to work out if I'm over the limit to drive....my relationships with my grown-up kids...noticing how beautiful the world around me is, rather than having to lock myself away...living without guilt or regret.
That's my sobriety freedoms too. 2 of my kids are still young , and I really wasted some time being hungover when I could've been playing more with them, and getting things done.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Optimist4ever57 View Post
I seem to have missed quite a bit in one day! I went to lunch with my grandson Friday and he talked me into a pizza roll from a local Italian bakery ( dried, salted cod on the counter and everything). I've had problems with gluten for years and rarely eat it because of adverse reactions and wow, did my digestive system react. I was sick the rest of the day and all day yesterday. The only good thing is I probably lost some weight!

New topic:
I love being sober for so many reasons but one of the main ones is, if my grandchildren call and want to do something, I don't have to make up some excuse because I've been drinking.

I would love to hear from others on this! What has been one of the best things to come of your sobriety?
It's hard to pick just one thing .....every aspect of my life has improved.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cococo View Post
Yes, I know, Ive remained sober, so that's something. But Im talking about actually DOING things around the house.....housework......jobs......tidying. Ive really got issues about it...hmmm
Oh my, Cococo! I am seriously in the same situation. I HATE unloading my dishwasher. I love washing, drying and folding my laundry (right out of the dryer) but can't stand to put it away. I actually hid a basket of clothes (stuck it in my closet) from my granddaughter when she was visiting, until she confessed to me that she hated putting laundry away and just lived out of the basket. Boy, did we have a good laugh when I revealed my basket to her!

My biggest problem is my dogs. My yard is a swamp in the spring and those to goofballs love to run through the mud and water. The Lab/Springer Spaniel is good getting her paws wiped (as long as I whisper, "I love you" to her) but the husky. Ugh. She'll just run in and get mud everywhere so every day, it's the same thing. Sweep and mop. It's a huge area of ceramic tile (30x30) and they manage to get dirt everywhere.

I need to figure out some motivation. I'm a list maker but don't always stick to it...Perhaps reward myself for accomplishing things on my list?

Any ideas?
Old 03-20-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OldTomato View Post
Morning all, I'm meeting a friend for lunch at 2 so I'm going to skip my 9:30 meeting, don't really want to be aimlessly hanging around town with no money for 3 and a half hours. Also going to hand my CV in to that shop before I meet her. I don't know why I'm feeling nervous about doing that, all I have to do is hand over some paper and not look too unpresentable!!
I hope you get the job!!!
Old 03-20-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

I love not having to worry about what I might've said to someone. Not missing all the mind games.
Me too. As well as the flip side of that, pretending like I know what someone is talking about because I can't remember.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

I agree with Sansa S. I do NOT miss what I might have said or done the night before. I always also hated seeing the bottles in the recycling bin. I don't miss seeing an empty bag of food and wondering how the H*LL I drove there without getting arrested and/or hurting some innocent person.

I REALLY don't miss the CRUSHING hangovers, especially the ones that took 2 days, not one, to get over. My hangovers got worse as I got older.

Finally (but there are many more), I don't miss the crummy sleep that I got. My dream world is so vivid now and it is nice to wake up refreshed without any regrets.

Day 20 here.
Be good to yourselves!
Lee
Old 03-20-2016, 06:06 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Reduction in anxiety best thing about being sober for me. Looking forward to that soon. Day 5 Now .... it takes 7 to 10 days to be really noticeable in that regard for me, can't wait.
Coco- I take a sleep aid too (not a benzo) and have before the out of control drinking. Lifelong insomnia, even as child. My doc says that its hereditary and I used to run into both parents roaming the halls at 1 am. Being an alcoholic is hereditary too, but that's not the case with me.
Knb, you CAN stop drinking, you were headed in that direction for several days before seeing the ex. Please don't let someone else really push you down the rabbit hole. Everyone here supports you. We've been there! Any extra help is great. Main thread. calling more people. Throw water on your face, take a shower. Go stand barefoot in cold grass and look at the sky. You had 50 days before you can do it again!
((((GG))))) I'm sure your husband will feel less hopeless when you show him how resolved you are, that this is it!
Old 03-20-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  
Administrator

Is feeling a bit flat a symptom of paws?

I think it's part of the normal process in the first 30 days. It's a big change to be sober.

Paws, if it happens at all, is usually after 30 days

D
Old 03-20-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Good luck today OT. Be confident..make good eye contact..don't be afraid to get a little assertive even.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

I bought Samoa girl scout cookies in Seattle on saturday. We went out ..no beer..no pot.. no vodka. It was like the lou Reed song.. just a Perfect Day.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:18 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
I bought Samoa girl scout cookies in Seattle on saturday. We went out ..no beer..no pot.. no vodka. It was like the lou Reed song.. just a Perfect Day.
Nom nom nom! Need more cookie!
Old 03-20-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cococo View Post
Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend.

I am a little concerned about my sleeping tablet situation (benzo’s). I have always suffered insomnia but it has got worse in the past 8 weeks. My doctor prescribed some sleeping tablets which Ive been taking every night. I started taking half a tablet but now, last night for example, I took 1 whole one at about 8pm but didn’t really feel any effects so I took another 1 whole one at 8.30pm. I usually go to bed about 9.30pm and fall asleep by 10pm – usually. Im finding I need more than when I first started to feel sleepy. But last night at about 8.30pm/9pm’ish I was really buzzy in the head, felt as though I was sort of floating, slurred speech etc. Does anybody else take them?

Im off to cook dinner now and relax. I will catch up with the days posts later tonight.

Im sorry to hear about knb, I had a feeling this might happen from her posts yesterday.
Have you tried melatonin? I take a couple (don't recall the mg...) with my tea in the evening and it really helps make me drowsy. The time release type will probably work through the night...my doctor suggested it to me...
Old 03-20-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 20 Lee!

When I'm drinking everything feels hopeless. All my flaws and mistakes are compounded and magnified, making it oh so easy to just go right on drinking. It's just a downward spiral very simply with my unpleasant demise waiting at the bottom. Like Jeni says, it WILL kill me if I let it. That's a pretty serious statement and 100% true. I intend to remind myself of this daily.

So in being sober I'm pretty happy that I'M NOT creating my own death. Pretty basic, at the top of my list. No hangovers, not wasting time, being able to eat properly, far less confusion, far less fear, and I don't dread everyday... how terrible a way to live? I'm sober today and grateful for it. One drink can and will get me right back there though. I hate it, I hate alcohol and the effect it has on my brain. I do have power in this fight though... just don't take that first drink, no matter what.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
Optimist what I loved about sobriety was my freedom. I feel like I have gone back to jail
Hang in there, Kim. We're all rooting for you...