Notices

Class of February 2016 Part 8

Old 03-11-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Feeling some anger and treading carefully this Friday afternoon and evening.
Reminding myself that a few hours of being cranky are ok compared to a day feeling hungover.

Any Netflix or Amazon movie or show recommendations are welcome. If I have energy after wrangling three rugrats to bed in maybe 4 hours. Sigh.

I need a Mommy timeout. Too bad I think there's a bottle of wine named that. :/
My grandson got me hooked on Narcos, Pablo Escobar's life. I binged watched the first 7 and am holding out on the last 3 because I don't want it to end. Sigh. It's kind of graphic (violence) and some sex scenes, but hey, at 59 I can handle it. And I'm guessing it was much worse in real life. A real behind the scenes look at the "War on Drugs" in the good ole USA.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  

I'm off to write in my journal, read and then sleep. I've been so tired lately, even though I've been sleeping well and my blood work is all fine. A normal part of recovery I guess. I'm going to stop putting off my step 4 work tomorrow, and I'm going to listen to a podcast instead of attending a meeting. Goodnight all!
Old 03-11-2016, 02:00 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  
Nature Lover & Plantoholic

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
JL, AVOID RV at all costs. Just because it's not a good movie. it's so funny that all this started, because it's just one of about ten DVDs I borrowed from my fiance and I just happened to mention it because people were talking about Mrs. doubtfire and Robin Williams. It's not like RV is up there on my favs list! The only point I wanted to make is that Robin Williams seemed depressed in the movie, even though its a comedy.
I can agree with that. He did seem at odds, and it was no Mrs. Doubtfire, but we still enjoyed it. Hope my son will be a better behaved teen than those in RV!
Old 03-11-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  

So, here it is, 5pm on a Friday evening and I would be getting ready to pour myself a drink. Funny thing, after that initial first week with the withdrawals and being sick, I've not had any cravings. But that's not what usually gets me, it's the sudden onset of some anxiety provoking incident and I just want the panicky feeling to end. And then there was the "saw it, picked it up and bought it" incident.

The amazing thing is I've slept like a baby almost every single night. Some nights I didn't get to be early enough but when I did fall asleep, I was out. I had horrible nights when I was drinking. Tossing, turning, snoring so bad I'd wake myself up!

Still working on my recovery journal and not sure how to handle the panic attacks. I can probably ask my doc for a few Xanax. The last time I had it was years ago and all it took was 1/4 of a .25 pill to calm me down. Placebo effect maybe?

Then again, if it is a placebo effect, a Tylenol might do the trick too, if I believe it will help.

Anyway, looking forward to waking up tomorrow to my 2 week milestone. I think I'll do some laundry and cleaning tonight. A friend is coming over to work on her Step 4 tomorrow and my cleaning lady didn't make it this week. Looks like it's all on me!

I'll check in tonight before I hit the bed :-)
Old 03-11-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
What is the cause of your high blood pressure GG?
Alcohol! It's a pretty common correlation. I posted about it a while back. Docs weren't going to put me on meds, since I told them about the wine problem, but now they have.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Feeling some anger and treading carefully this Friday afternoon and evening.
Reminding myself that a few hours of being cranky are ok compared to a day feeling hungover.

Any Netflix or Amazon movie or show recommendations are welcome. If I have energy after wrangling three rugrats to bed in maybe 4 hours. Sigh.

I need a Mommy timeout. Too bad I think there's a bottle of wine named that. :/
Don't apple. You need to break this habit.
Have you seen Still Alice? Good film
Old 03-11-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
Optimist. Never smelt it. Is it as bad as cat wee??
WAY WAY worse. I too live on an acre and get skunks [plus lots of other wild critters]. My cat has been smart enough to avoid the spray, but I occasionally smell it on the property. You seriously must close all windows, it's that toxic.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Lean on us kitty and SR lots! remember the important part is not giving up- slipping isn't a failure, it's merely a setback and a reminder to keep our plans strong!

I can tell ya what skunk sprays smells like. As I have had both the privilege and the honor of not only washing many an animal but also wearing the scent on my hands for a few days.

It smells like an overpowered mixture of the strongest and most bitter coffee, onions, pot and almost gasoline that you can imagine. Also depending on how badly the skunk sprayed different 'flavours' come out. Puke.
The few times it permeated my hands I thought I would go insane. I spent 45 minutes scrubbing my hands until scalding hot water. It's terrible because you can't escape the waftiness of it. ugggggggh

Applekat, have you seen "Me, Earl and the Dying Girl"? it's a great movie! I loved it... have tissues ready.
Thanks to many folks on SR I've gotten into true crime podcasts. I am obsessed!!! I listened to probably 16 hours of podcasts in two days.

I still think we should do a roll call. I wanna knoooooow you guys like, intimately. ok that sounds dirty. But remember the old a/s/l? in chatrooms and such? lol
Formal introductions. I go by Dee in real life... . My screen name is just a play on my real name... . Not too many folks out there with my name so I come up on google search real fast lol. I'm 32, crazy single trouble live in the prairies in Canada.

I always thought Dee on here was a woman too.

Last edited by Dee74; 03-22-2016 at 02:59 PM. Reason: removed real name by request
Old 03-11-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jobei View Post
Yup I agree. I doubt very much that I could manage around a drinking partner. That's just me.. many people manage to do it, personally my apathy would be uncontrollable.
Sane here. I couldn't watch someone drink in front of me every weekend. No way. It would irritate the hell out of me
Old 03-11-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Optimist4ever57 View Post
Worse...much, much worse. Not sure there's a way to describe it, KNB, LOL.
Now I really want to smell it
Old 03-11-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  

I don't know what ring it is. We choosed it together. She pointed it out and I bought it. Other than that I have no idea. I don't have a ring yet for me.
Ha ha love it. In my experience the woman gets diamonds and the man gets the cheap ring.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  

I don't know what ring it is. We choosed it together. She pointed it out and I bought it. Other than that I have no idea. I don't have a ring yet for me.
Do you work with your hands?
Old 03-11-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OldTomato View Post
I'm off to write in my journal, read and then sleep. I've been so tired lately, even though I've been sleeping well and my blood work is all fine. A normal part of recovery I guess. I'm going to stop putting off my step 4 work tomorrow, and I'm going to listen to a podcast instead of attending a meeting. Goodnight all!
Night OT. I am shattered myself. I was suppose to go to a meeting but couldn't be bothered. As much as I love the meetings, I also need a break from them
Old 03-11-2016, 02:35 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Hey KNB, yes I'm sober now. Day 1.
Feeling better than earlier but not 100%. Will rest up for the remainder of the day and tomorrow I have a workshop I've been looking forward to. I am sure it won't be easy but I'll get through this with all of your help.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Friday.
Breakdown day.
Going to get a big pizza.
2 pages behind on posts. Will catch up.
Sinuses killing me ! Guess I'm gonna cough for 2 months.
Not drinking today.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  

So, here it is, 5pm on a Friday evening and I would be getting ready to pour myself a drink. Funny thing, after that initial first week with the withdrawals and being sick, I've not had any cravings. But that's not what usually gets me, it's the sudden onset of some anxiety provoking incident and I just want the panicky feeling to end. And then there was the "saw it, picked it up and bought it" incident.

The amazing thing is I've slept like a baby almost every single night. Some nights I didn't get to be early enough but when I did fall asleep, I was out. I had horrible nights when I was drinking. Tossing, turning, snoring so bad I'd wake myself up!

Still working on my recovery journal and not sure how to handle the panic attacks. I can probably ask my doc for a few Xanax. The last time I had it was years ago and all it took was 1/4 of a .25 pill to calm me down. Placebo effect maybe?

Then again, if it is a placebo effect, a Tylenol might do the trick too, if I believe it will help.

Anyway, looking forward to waking up tomorrow to my 2 week milestone. I think I'll do some laundry and cleaning tonight. A friend is coming over to work on her Step 4 tomorrow and my cleaning lady didn't make it this week. Looks like it's all on me!

I'll check in tonight before I hit the bed :-)
So Optimist..what are your triggers for panic attacks. We need to have a chat about this cause I suffer from them too. Mine started 20 years ago. They are usually triggered by certain situations. I am currently looking at therapy to combat them...although I have done therapy in the past
Old 03-11-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GardenGal View Post
Alcohol! It's a pretty common correlation. I posted about it a while back. Docs weren't going to put me on meds, since I told them about the wine problem, but now they have.
I am having blood tests next Friday as my iron was high in my last test. Hopefully it will have reverted back to normal
Old 03-11-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Also ask the doc about gabapentin. It's prescribed for anxiety, but also apparently helps keep EtOH cravings at bay. I don't believe it's addictive.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
Hey KNB, yes I'm sober now. Day 1.
Feeling better than earlier but not 100%. Will rest up for the remainder of the day and tomorrow I have a workshop I've been looking forward to. I am sure it won't be easy but I'll get through this with all of your help.
Gosh that's great kitty how you can just drink fir a day and then get back on the wagon

If that happened to me, yoi wouldn't hear off me for weeks. It would have set off a massive trigger in me Well done for coming back so quickly
Old 03-11-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Friday.
Breakdown day.
Going to get a big pizza.
2 pages behind on posts. Will catch up.
Sinuses killing me ! Guess I'm gonna cough for 2 months.
Not drinking today.
JL you eat as much pizza as I do chicken wings. Enjoy :-)