Notices

Class of February 2016 Part 8

Old 03-11-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GardenGal View Post
Also ask the doc about gabapentin. It's prescribed for anxiety, but also apparently helps keep EtOH cravings at bay. I don't believe it's addictive.
That's interesting. I currently take gabapentin for my fibromyalgia ( I'll talk about that another time) but had no idea it worked on crabings. Maybe that's why I don't really get them?

Thank you GardenGal!
Old 03-11-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GardenGal View Post
I've been totally honest with my docs. It was scary, but also a huge relief, and now they keep hugging me, LOL. I just hope the insurance doesn't start to screw me. I have some pretty serious medical conditions, which just started in the last few years. I guess that was what partly led me to drink more…

You can buy OTC blood pressure monitors from any pharmacy. The wrist ones are cheaper, but not quite as accurate as the arm machines. I've been taking the measurements several times a day, and giving all the info to the docs. Mine also measures irregular heartbeat, which I have, so I'm going to a cardiologist next to wear a heart monitor. Heart scheit runs in my family.

Oy vey. One day at a time...
My blood pressure was very high the first 2 weeks of Feb. I quit on Jan 31. I have noticed...with drinking plenty of fluids...and eating correctly....and not drinking alcohol...my BP is back within a more normal range. I also have heart disease in my family....But alcohol is a killer..and I think you will notice a change...just from the removal of alcohol. Usually takes about 2 weeks to come back to normal.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

We do have a large class. I've had trouble keeping up with who is who also. So...Here's me in 50 words or less. I don't count days but according to my calendar it's Day 24 for me. Female, 50, BF, no kids, 1 puppy and 2 cats. I'm a big sci-fi/fantasy fan. I work from home in internet marketing. I live in a tiny little house on a lake miles away from city sounds. Sober.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:16 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

I'm with you Auggie counting days gets tiring for me... another thing to get caught up in. I'd rather just focus on today, the most important day of my sobriety.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee and Eowyn for drumming advice. Keep it simple, I guess!

Kittycat, so glad you're here. You can do it!

jobei and knb--yes, it sucks to be around a drinker. Tonight we went out for dinner with friends from H's work. Everyone except me drank. H ignored me all night, probably because the conversation centered on his area of expertise, and we usually go our separate ways at social events anyway.

But I found myself getting angry and then insanely jealous of the woman doing most of the talking. This is not the first time, btw. She is very, very smart, funny, and entertaining and also in his line of work.

I dropped her off along with H and another woman at the bar after dinner (everyone decided to continue the evening). Now I am fuming and alone. I feel like a nag because I reminded him to take it easy, which always pisses him off (I don't know why I bother--he drinks what he wants anyway). He's actually a great guy, but it 's hard to see that right now. I just sent him a bitchy text. Very immature.

Just feel gross and fat and not fun. I get so shy in groups. I barely talked all night. Alcohol used to help with that. But it also led to horrible episodes that I'd rather not repeat.

I wish I were normal and could go out with them, but I can't.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me a while to be ok with being me in social occasions but I got there in the end, safeandsound

D
Old 03-11-2016, 08:02 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

That sounds like a difficult situation safeandsound. Tomorrow is a new day and you can add another day to the sobriety count
Old 03-11-2016, 08:17 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Safesndsound *hug* sorry that sounds like a tough night. I'm glad you made the choice to stay sober tonight... you deserve it... tommorow while he's nursing his hangover you'll be feeling great!
Old 03-11-2016, 08:27 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Safeandsound - I'm so glad you are here with us tonight.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:29 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Well... I think it is time for Shamus the sock monkey to come around and harass the little dogs that reside here with me. Shamus likes to play Buckin Bronco and pretend he is a rodeo star.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:15 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Badger, PICTURES?? Sounds too cute.

Omg I am watching the most depressing show ever called 30 Degrees in February. Several unrelated--at least so far in episode one--stories about Swedes in various types of difficulties who go to Thailand for vacation. Painfully realistic so far, but really well done, and I can't stop watching these people's misery!
Old 03-11-2016, 09:28 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Makes you feel good to be at home!!
Old 03-11-2016, 09:35 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe something a little lighter could be the go, Safe?
enjoy your night in any case guys

time for a new thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-9-a.html

D