Notices

24 Hour Recovery Connections Part 100

Old 01-21-2016, 12:10 PM
  # 561 (permalink)  

I've been hoping to see you check in today Neo.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 562 (permalink)  

Congrats to all the milestoners today ! Keep marching on with serenity and commitment, one day at a time !

I realise that we often say that it doesn't matter what length of sobriety time we have, its still one day at a time. Well, this point was proven to me recently. My wife left a big bottle of vodka on the kitchen bench a few weeks ago. She is a normal drinker who on occasion likes to drink spirits. We normally have wine in our fridge so I thought it wasn't a big deal. However, over the past weeks I kept seeing this bottle of vodka and was surprised that I felt uneasy and annoyed. Despite having a couple of years sobriety. Then I had a dream about drinking. Thats when the red flags began sprouting. I asked her to remove the bottle which she did, promptly. Presto, no more irritation. A great reminder to me that it is a daily reprieve and that one can never take one's sobriety for granted !

Another 24 hours of serenity, patience and sobriety pls ! Its 7:50am here !
Old 01-21-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 563 (permalink)  

Thank you for those wise words Kaneda....I will remember them.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 564 (permalink)  

Alcohol can make you feel paranoid Neo. But see your doctor if symptoms persist to coin a phrase. Glad you are back.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 565 (permalink)  

these guys are soooo right ----come on Neo----stay with us.
Babs
Old 01-21-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 566 (permalink)  

And count me in for another 24 please.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 567 (permalink)  

I'm off to my homegroup meeting.

Wishing you all a night of sweet sober dreams.

Neo, you can do this friend!

ODAAT.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 568 (permalink)  

Thanks guys struggling here
Old 01-21-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 569 (permalink)  

Hey Neo. You can do this! We're here cheering you on.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 570 (permalink)  

Kanada thank for the share.
Neo new stay go to a AA meeting and tell someone how you feel, they will help. And don't pick up came here we all will be supporting you. Call AA hotline. Hey is you want I can call or email directly is not being easy either for me but I came here every day and post and now I'm calling people too, we do this together sometimes I dot one minute at the time. I pray to what I understand is God. Hugs my friend we love you.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 571 (permalink)  

Thanks I just need to get over this withdrawal then can think a bit more clear
Old 01-21-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 572 (permalink)  

drink lots and lots of water
hugs
Babs
Old 01-21-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 573 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
Congrats to all the milestoners today ! Keep marching on with serenity and commitment, one day at a time !

I realise that we often say that it doesn't matter what length of sobriety time we have, its still one day at a time. Well, this point was proven to me recently. My wife left a big bottle of vodka on the kitchen bench a few weeks ago. She is a normal drinker who on occasion likes to drink spirits. We normally have wine in our fridge so I thought it wasn't a big deal. However, over the past weeks I kept seeing this bottle of vodka and was surprised that I felt uneasy and annoyed. Despite having a couple of years sobriety. Then I had a dream about drinking. Thats when the red flags began sprouting. I asked her to remove the bottle which she did, promptly. Presto, no more irritation. A great reminder to me that it is a daily reprieve and that one can never take one's sobriety for granted !

Another 24 hours of serenity, patience and sobriety pls ! Its 7:50am here !
Thanks for sharing this, Kaneda.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 574 (permalink)  
Wu Wei

Originally Posted by NeoNew View Post
Thanks I just need to get over this withdrawal then can think a bit more clear
You can make it no matter how you feel. It just takes time. Another 24 for me
Old 01-21-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 575 (permalink)  

8.51am in Australia
24 please
Old 01-21-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 576 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, day 7 for me, 22.50pm UK time.
Husband and his friend are trying to build a wardrobe with limited success
I'm another one thinking of you Neo and hoping you stay strong.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 577 (permalink)  

24 more sober hours for me! It's almost 6pm in Florida. Getting ready to make some yummy dinner!

You can do this Neo! We all know you can :-)
Old 01-21-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 578 (permalink)  
Wu Wei

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
Congrats to all the milestoners today ! Keep marching on with serenity and commitment, one day at a time ! I realise that we often say that it doesn't matter what length of sobriety time we have, its still one day at a time. Well, this point was proven to me recently. My wife left a big bottle of vodka on the kitchen bench a few weeks ago. She is a normal drinker who on occasion likes to drink spirits. We normally have wine in our fridge so I thought it wasn't a big deal. However, over the past weeks I kept seeing this bottle of vodka and was surprised that I felt uneasy and annoyed. Despite having a couple of years sobriety. Then I had a dream about drinking. Thats when the red flags began sprouting. I asked her to remove the bottle which she did, promptly. Presto, no more irritation. A great reminder to me that it is a daily reprieve and that one can never take one's sobriety for granted ! Another 24 hours of serenity, patience and sobriety pls ! Its 7:50am here !
My wife drinks Bourbon everyday and smokes weed every night. I'm not clear on the whole thing because we have been together so long, or are we really together? Very confused on this topic. I have shared this in the alanon forum but no one seems to have any advice that I find helpful. The advise I get is to detach, which challenges the very foundations of marriage. Sorry to be so heavy. Probably the wrong place to get into this, but even this situation will not cause me to drink because my life is so much better without it.

To all those in the same boat just keep working your plan and things will get better.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 579 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mcflurry View Post
Hello everyone, day 7 for me, 22.50pm UK time.
Husband and his friend are trying to build a wardrobe with limited success
I'm another one thinking of you Neo and hoping you stay strong.
Congratulations on your sober week, mcflurry; PowerOn, girl.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:17 PM
  # 580 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EternalNow View Post
My wife drinks Bourbon everyday and smokes weed every night. I'm not clear on the whole thing because we have been together so long, or are we really together? Very confused on this topic. I have shared this in the alanon forum but no one seems to have any advice that I find helpful. The advise I get is to detach, which challenges the very foundations of marriage. Sorry to be so heavy. Probably the wrong place to get into this, but even this situation will not cause me to drink because my life is so much better without it.

To all those in the same boat just keep working your plan and things will get better.

Detachment does seem contrary to the concept of marriage, EternalNow. Have you and your wife spoken about her drinking and marijuana use? I think that what is intended by 'detachment' is that you recognize that you are not responsible for her drinking or usage - you didn't cause it and you cannot fix it (and detach from responsibility). You can only be supportive of her recovery (if she chooses it).

What is important is to keep your own alcoholism as your main priority. Just as you have taken full ownership of your addiction, your wife will need to do the same if her drinking or usage is problematic; she will need to own it and take responsibility for her recovery.