Notices

Class of April 2015 Part4

Old 05-05-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Day 14 today. This is awesome...I'm going to break my sober record. The last time I quit drinking, I told everyone I was doing a cleanse, eating proper, no drinking, no caffeine etc., etc. I never even stuck to the cleanse, never mind the commitment to quit drinking. That was why after 14 days I gave myself a pat on the back with a bottle of wine and a severe hangover. This time, it's not happening. I am never drinking again and I'm never changing my mind.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

For those with sleeping trouble- have you tried teas? I know they don't keep you asleep but they have helped me fall asleep. Sleepy time is nice and Passion flower is pretty strong. You build a bit of tolerance but it works pretty good here and there.

I also keep benadryl on hand. Not sure how you feel about taking a sleep aid. I know if I can't sleep it drives me insane. The first time I stopped drinking I was getting 1-2 hours of sleep a night for the first week. I remember I tried exercising myself to exhaustion, I felt physically tired but still couldn't wind down my mind. In times of desperation sleep aids have really helped me feel more normal.

Day 8 today! Feeling alright hope you all have a great day.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Joining the class of April 2015. Last drink was the 14th, so my sober date is April 15th.

I just posted in the grief forum, my mom passed away the 21st of April. I believe this was related to her alcohol issues, whether directly or indirectly. Anyway, right now it's hard to put anything into words. Just wanted to introduce myself to everyone :-)
Old 05-05-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm hanging out, drinking coffee and realizing how quickly time is going this morning. I have counseling in about 2 hours. I know it's a great step. It's necessary. I'm still a bit nervous.

I also realized I can't stay in this place anymore. I just can't. Not for one more day. So I'm putting in the work. And my goodness, it is a lot of work.

Anyway, I'm lost in thoughts today. It's a beautiful day. I get to spend time w/ my daughter and her boyfriend tonight for a family dinner. I get to finally stop carrying all these burdens around and finally say "I need help" and accept it. That's a pretty good Tuesday.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

That's a pretty darn good Tuesday indeed.
I was nervous my first day of counseling. I was thinking the whole time "what am I gonna talk about". Of course, they have a plan. Just go with it. I'll give him the leash and let him lead me as long as I think we're moving forward. If I sense we're not, I'll stop in my tracks and talk about my concerns.

I've been through counseling in the past. It's very helpful. I never should of stopped. When times are going good, it never hurts to see one once a month. Sort of like a life coach.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good morning! Day 9 for me. Feeling pretty good. Had the day off yesterday and went for a long hike with a friend who was visiting from Oregon. The last time she was here I flaked on her because I was hung over..Had a beautiful hike then decided to jump in the very cold river together. As I did, I thought of my sobriety and the new things to come..I don't get much company out here, if I choose to stay home I can go days without seeing another person, yesterday was my first day in sobriety that I let myself have fun. Looking forward to more days like that.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hello Class, Day 15 here. I'm feeling very grateful for you all. Thank you for sharing on this forum. Being sober is such a wonderful thing. I am feeling grateful for my sobriety today. I hope you all have a wonderful day.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome Mariposa.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lily123 View Post
Welcome Mariposa.
Yes!
Old 05-05-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Well...got a little work done. Went back to bed for a bit. Talked to somebody on the phone I haven't talked to in a long time, that was nice. Spent a lot more time on SR and got less done than I wanted, but my spirits are up and that's all that counts.

It's 5pm here and I'm about to go out and door knock some people. You know those annoying salesmen that show up at the most inopportune times? Well, that's me if they don't answer their phones in an attempt to schedule an appointment. I'll make several call attempts, door knock two times during the day, then guess who is coming over for dinner!! Lol.

I like what I do. I really get to help people. I definitely run into a lot of rude people though. I get it...for the most part. But at the end of the day, I treat all people with respect.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm beginning to get a sense of this being really, really possible.

At present I'm still suffering from pretty bad back pain. My mind is telling me that if only I could get over this pain I would be, could be happy. Now, I know that I'd find another problem to focus on but the sense remains that I'm as happy as I've been in a long, long, long, long (you get the point) time. The fact that the weather has been perfect recently and I've had five days off isn't negligible either.

Tomorrow I'm back at work for two days and I'm kind of looking forward to it. Then, though, I'm full throttle till July 25. Work is where I am at my most susceptible to cravings what with the tiredness and low-grade constant stress.

I'm talkative I'm real life and waffle when I write but to end I'm on a generally upward spiral. With the odd dip I'm feeling so much better in so many ways each week.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

End of my day 15 and I'm off to bed still sober and glad to be so... But I wobbled a bit today. I was talking to a work colleague who knows I've given up drinking. I was saying how tough things are right now and I said in a joking way, "I should just go on and sink a couple of beers or something". I meant this ironically, like it's the last thing I need as it would add to my problems, but she took me seriously and actually encouraged me to go ahead with it... And suddenly it was a real possibility...why not? Life's such a pisser anyway! What's there to lose? AV was full on!

Anyway, I made it back home but then I needed to take my daughter to stay at a friends' house to stay the night as I need to make an early start tomorrow and my wife is still out of town...and the girl's father literally pushes a beer into my hand. Wow! That took some will-power to put it down, I can tell you! I really wanted to open it, down it and then do the same with two or three more. Don't even know how I got out of there.

It's funny. Sometimes I start to think I've got this nailed and there's nothing to it and then something like that happens. Just goes to show that I'm not out of the woods yet and mustn't ever let my guard down.

I'm proud to still be among your number in class of April 2015! Thanks for all your ongoing support!
Old 05-05-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lily123 View Post
For those with sleeping trouble- have you tried teas? I know they don't keep you asleep but they have helped me fall asleep. Sleepy time is nice and Passion flower is pretty strong. You build a bit of tolerance but it works pretty good here and there.
Lily! Congratulations on day 8!
I do have sleepy time tea and calming chamomile tea. I will have to just keep at it. My big issue with falling asleep is too much screen time. Maybe it's time to remove the phone and ipad etc out of the bedroom.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
OMD

Originally Posted by Midton View Post
I'm beginning to get a sense of this being really, really possible.

At present I'm still suffering from pretty bad back pain. My mind is telling me that if only I could get over this pain I would be, could be happy. Now, I know that I'd find another problem to focus on but the sense remains that I'm as happy as I've been in a long, long, long, long (you get the point) time. The fact that the weather has been perfect recently and I've had five days off isn't negligible either.

Tomorrow I'm back at work for two days and I'm kind of looking forward to it. Then, though, I'm full throttle till July 25. Work is where I am at my most susceptible to cravings what with the tiredness and low-grade constant stress.

I'm talkative I'm real life and waffle when I write but to end I'm on a generally upward spiral. With the odd dip I'm feeling so much better in so many ways each week.
This sounds fantastic Midton! It really is not only possible in the sense that has a hypothetical future possibility of happening, it's actually happening now. Every day you're sober it's happening! There will always be something (you have a back problem, I have a headache, the next person something else) but alcohol doesn't fix anything (well apart from its industrial use as a cleaning agent).

Low grade constant stress and tiredness is also easier to cope with if you don't add booze. Onwards and upwards!

OMD
Old 05-05-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
OMD

Hi all,
Just checking in. We have great people from all over the world checking in and sharing their stories, challenges and offers of support. I genuinely look forward to checking in day and very much appreciate this group.

Tomorrow will be day 30 for me and I will not drink. My mind is VERY clear, far more active and if I am not imagining things my relationships have already started to mend (I am letting my actions speak for themselves and not pushing this side of things - too many broken promises in the past). I might lose the odd drinking buddy along the way although that remains to be seen. I mentioned in a previous post that my fitness is improving and I think my overall health (face colour, eyes, puffiness etc.) is definitely a huge improvement.

I have started to think a little more dispassionately about alcohol and what it has done to me. Having alcoholic parents meant that I have grown up with an abusive attitude/relationship to alcohol that continued for many many years, and I despair at that. Maybe there is no point regretting but I certainly intend to reflect on the damage I have caused myself and others. Right now I think my biggest challenge is going to be future lunches and dinners that I have to do as part of my work (I've done a couple which I have related here) and I need a long term plan for this because people who don't drink are perceived as a threat to those who do (even though frankly I couldn't care less if someone was drinking around me).

Anyway, I hope all's well with you all.

OMD
Old 05-05-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

OMD... Your situation reminds me that my fiancé and I would order cokes at our local restaurant when we went with kids. We would go up and tell them to make them rum and cokes. Doubles. We would go there all the time just the two of us. After a couple times of that, all we needed to do as order a coke and we'd get run and cokes. Lame, isn't it? Memories of an alcoholic. Maybe you can do the reverse. Hit up your server before or after you order. Make sure they bring the coke in a bar glass! Getting a big red plastic cup with "coke" on it would be a little obvious
Old 05-05-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Ah. Door knocking done. That felt good. Met some nice folks tonight. No rude people. And I made somebody's day big time by helping find a life insurance policy when everyone else turned them down due to cancer. I'm a broker with access to every company you can think of. Can be a very rewarding job.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Thinking of a time in my life when I was drinking a bottle of wine every night I used to view the stereotypical homeless alcoholic with a kind of envy. He, or she, had no job, no stress (ha) and could sit in the sun drinking all day. Boy I longed to be able to give up society's pressures and just drink.

How on earth could I have such an opinion?
Old 05-05-2015, 08:17 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day thirty for me.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midton View Post
... Boy I longed to be able to give up society's pressures and just drink.

How on earth could I have such an opinion?
Don't beat yourself up. It sounds like you were just trying to protect yourself the best way you knew how, at least that's what I figured out about myself. Self compassion helped me reach this important step.

Day 7 for me.