Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 45

Old 04-30-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Hi Undies! Just stopping in to say hi!

Old 04-30-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Thanks Drake!

I'm about ready to head out of town for the weekend. Traveling most of the way across the USA with my brother. I'm incredibly nervous about telling him I'm trying to get sober. I know he'd be the best person in my life to tell, but I've hidden the problem from him pretty well.

I wound up in a tough spot tonight and I didn't drink. I'm proud of that fact but also nervous as heck that I can't maintain this. Tonight was supposed to be a night at home, but I wound up at a bar. The club soda routine works well, but it's eroding my confidence.

Approaching midnight, so gonna hit the hay. Happy Friday in Oz and goodnight and good luck to all Americans!
Old 04-30-2015, 09:53 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Glee and NYM have fun on your weekend adventures.

NYM with that bachelor party coming up I think it would be great for you to be honest with your brother about wanting to stay sober.

Exhausted and ready for sleep!
Old 05-01-2015, 02:34 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

NYMets, I wholeheartedly recommend confiding in your brother. He sounds like a truly good friend as well as a brother. If you don't mind my asking, why are you so apprehensive about telling him?
Old 05-01-2015, 04:27 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Mets, I agree with the others - tell your brother! The first time I told someone was incredibly hard but such an amazing relief. And it helped me stay sober because then if I had a drink they would know that I slipped. I had a close friend I told and it helped immeasurably. Demons thrive in the darkness. I hope you have a great weekend :-)
Old 05-01-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Yeah, I know deep down part of the reason I don't want to tell him (and am nervous about it) is because it then will be worse if I screw up since I'll be more accountable.

My rational self knows that telling him is the absolute best thing to do, but that addicted self is very much scared of it. For now, my plan is to simply not drink at all this weekend. If the moment is right to say something, I will do my best, but I really am having a tough time thinking about it.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Good morning undies!
Off to wompland
Old 05-01-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Good day to you too BF, Ruler of Womplandia!
Old 05-01-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Hi Undies.

Mets- I found that telling people I had quit drinking really took the pressure off me to drink anywhere. It's really nice not having friends or family offering me drinks.

Glee- I can relate to what you said about working on boundaries and learning to say yes to the things you want to do and no to those you don't.

I am in a good mood today. I spent a couple of days this week with a relative of mine. She was down in a nearby city for something so I went up there and we spent some time together. While I have kind of 'lost' the people in my life that I used to drink/smoke weed with, one of the blessings of sobriety has been really being able to reconnect with those that don't do those things. It used to be that I just wanted time with those people to be over so that I could go get high or drunk.

I also upgraded my phone to the new S6. My old phone was almost 3 years old and was pretty beat up so I was over-due for something new. I'm enjoying having a new gadget! Plus it came with an amazing health app and while I haven't had it long enough to really know if I love the app, the short-term experience I've had with it looks promising.

While I've made a handful of attempts to jump on a new diet/exercise plan since sobriety, they have all been short-lived. Recently, I've been working on a more gradual, yet hopefully more lasting, transition towards healthier habits. The last two months or so, I've been really good about getting in my workouts. Maybe this app will be kind of a push to help me with some of these changes.

Anyway, today's plan is to get the evaporative cooler on the roof started up for the year. I've already put quite a bit of time into it repainting, etc. so it is already to go and all I've got left is to turn on the power and the water. Then it's going to be the standard- work, chores, exercise and maybe yoga tonight.

I've really been neglecting to take time for my yoga, but I need to make an effort to get back to it. I get busy on stuff and don't want to take the time out from whatever I am working on, but I know that is just an excuse. I need to make time for the things that help me to feel calm and balanced.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Hi, DG! Good to see you! You sound great!
Old 05-01-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you DG!
Old 05-01-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hi Drake!

Hi Gilmer!
Old 05-01-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Mets, for me, telling someone not connected with my medical team or addiction treatment team felt like it was my "real" commitment to sobriety. Not saying it is for you or anyone else, though.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Yeah, as of now, I've just told my therapist and this board. Been using excuses as to why I'm not drinking when out with others.

Really been thinking a lot about it today and heading to the airport in a few hours to pick my brother up. I really want to say something, but obviously need to muster the courage to do it. Most importantly, I'm focusing on staying 100% sober this weekend. With all the sporting events on tomorrow, I'm sure cravings/temptations will come in to play.

If I can stay 100% sober and tell my brother honestly that I've stopped drinking and not just "on a diet," then great. If I just stay sober, then that's still a victory. I know I'm waffling on it and not pushing myself to make this committment, but it's just really hard.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Mets, in my case, I was initially terrified to tell my docs - and was so relieved when I finally did. Then tackled people closer to me. It dawned on me that I was so scared of being rejected. That never happened. Some people (mainly one sibling) just ignored it and still kept bringing wine to my home. Others including my other sibling were just super and I felt really supported. It depends on the person but I never got a truly negative reaction - which is what I was afraid of.

Enough said! You will decide what's best for you and when :-). I'll be thinking of you and sending much strength your way.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm certainly not afraid of the reaction, but more about where the conversation may lead. I do a good job hiding my alcoholism from those that are close to me.

Then there's just obviously the fear of making that committment and then a relapse being all that much more painful. I do know that making the committment will make it easier (possibly) not to drink, but I'm thinking once I have a few months sober and feel like I have made significant progress, I'll be better prepared to confide in friends and family.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:03 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Lots of angles to these questions which is why we ultimately need to do what we think is best for ourselves. If one thing doesn't work then we try another. I don't think any of us are identical and sometimes we need to make our way as best we can.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:42 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

So I couldn't bring myself to say anything. At dinner after picking him up at the airport, he ordered a beer when the waitress came by and I ordered sprite. As usual he had just the one and then I drank my sprite and the issue of me not drinking didn't come up.

We have sober activities lined up all day, but I know tonight there will be some temptations with the Kentucky Derby and the Mayweather boxing match. It might be the right time to say the whole truth, but for the time being, I've already said my allergies were really bothering me and that I was glad I remembered to bring my Claritin. That way, if offered a drink, I can more easily just say I'm not drinking because of the allergy medication. In a perfect world, I'd tell him the full truth, but if I just can get through not drinking today, then it's a good day.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Good morning . I'm just checking in and catching up on the posts here. I'm still sober and feeling good right now. I know I've said it before but all of your posts really do help me a lot!
Old 05-02-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Hi undies.
Will catch up on posts after womp.
Womp was crazy yesterday. So my boxer comes to work everyday with me and a dog lost a bunch of blood and needed a blood transfusion so my dog was the donor and such a good girl sitting still ( which boxers hardly do!) to donate a couple hundred MLs of blood.

Hope everyone has a good day