Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 7

Old 03-15-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  
waking down

JR, I read that awhile back and had mixed feelings about it. I like Aaron's response below the article.

William Glasser, a psychiatrist (who wrote "Warning: Psychiatry Can Be Hazardous to Your Mental Health") argues that all behaviors are rooted in physical needs and psychological needs that can be categorized thusly:

Physical (food, water, air, shelter)
Psychological:
Love/Belonging (connection)
Power/Achievement (competence, efficacy)
Fun (playfulness, curiosity, relief from boredom)
Freedom (to make choices)

Hari's article is biased toward connection (love/belonging), but Glasser might have argued that addiction (or at least substance abuse) could be an ineffective or maladaptive behavior aiming to meet any or all of the above needs. Taking myself as an example: My physical needs were met. My mother loved me unconditionally but she was drunk. My father abandoned us (and it could be coincidence, but that was the year I started partying). I felt competent as a student and as an athlete, but powerless over much of my life. I was definitely a fun-loving risk-taker. Boredom in school led to major behavior "problems" long before I started with substances, but my mom understood that as long as I was kept busy I was fine. Freedom - high school drove me mad. I remember writing a persuasive essay my junior year arguing that the structure of American high schools encouraged substance abuse. My high school, by the way, was designed by the same architect as the county jail. I realized this when I got arrested.

Regardless whether it's connection (love/belonging) or any other need, Glasser would say the decision to do anything, substances included, is rooted in attempting to meet our needs. I think teens are especially vulnerable because of their lack of freedom and high need for fun and belonging. Add powerlessness to the mix and you've got trouble. And drugs, at least at first, help with all those needs. Party with friends, feel confident, have fun, and feel free. Drugs are stiff competition for school, sports, clubs, churches, etc...ways to meet those needs without substances.

So, most youth experiment with drugs (I include alcohol as a drug), many eventually learn healthier alternatives, and some - like those who frequent SR - become addicted. So, is the addiction based on a chemical reaction? Purely physical? Some are genetically predisposed? I think that's part of it, but too simplistic. Is it just connection? That's also overly simplistic.

I know in recovery it helps me to think about how I'm getting my needs met. Am I lonely? Do I feel powerless? Am I bored? Do I feel trapped? When the so-called AV comes knocking I guarantee one or more of those four questions are at the root.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:34 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

I read that article a while back and thought that the author was basically co-dependent, or what AA/Alanon refers to as an "untreated Alanon".
Old 03-16-2015, 05:28 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  
waking down

Mr. Cath is my friend.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

I saw the therapist today. So far all I got from him is that I am a colorful character.
I guess that's my problem.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope it went well L i think your a awesome dude myself
Old 03-16-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

I think Colorful Character is a new entry in the DSM 5, LB. At least, it's treatable.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

thanks all, I looked it up jr, colorful character is not listed in DSM 5. However, it seems 'prosac' was renamed to 'serefam' to treat [pms]. Gotta keep that trademark protected.

And there is no longer a timeline for PTSD due to a loss. In other words, if you are sad because your mother died, you can be diagnosed with a mental disorder - something they can legitimately prescribe pills for. Gotta love it. There used to be a 'recognized' grieving period. If it went beyond the timeline they would look into it. Now, you are either sad or glad. Reason doesn't matter. We (USA) are the pill pushingest country in the world when it comes to mental "health".

The therapist asked me if I wanted to see the psychiatrist. I said I am not going to take any pills. He said, then there is no need to see the psychiatrist.

How's everyone else doin?
Old 03-16-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Good days of work for me; expecting 2 grandchildren in the coming months, expecting Spring in the coming months. Generally, pretty grateful for life as it presents at the moment. Good health for myself and family. And home-made chicken soup for dinner. What more could you ask for? And glad for this funky group.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  
waking down

Congrats, JR.

Your therapist is correct, Brian, psychiatrists are "medical" doctors.

Check this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AghOT3oCaM4

And: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhC6hUZJIJ0
Old 03-16-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

yeah, I know the drill zero, thanks for the links... Glasser unfortunately will be swept aside by the big pharms...
NOW, ladies and gentlemen... If you can watch this video without laughing, you need to see a psychiatrist. Just keep an eye on the drummer.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

He loves his work!
Old 03-17-2015, 12:11 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

I am not sure what made me smile more - the shiny gold jackets or the drummer :-)
Old 03-17-2015, 12:12 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

He's quite the colourful character :-)
Old 03-17-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  
waking down

I wanna see the drum solo from In a Gadda Da Vida.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  
waking down

Errrr... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD2nOjV3AaI
Old 03-17-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a nice sober evening guys happy st patricks
Old 03-17-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Was that drum solo in Inna godda da vida like, 10 minutes long? Those bearded guys sure knew how to make things pretty heavy.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Tiger: you spell colorful with a 'u'. colourful. Me too. Ah: the British Empire lives.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

zero, I was never a fan but Christina A has the pipes for sure. And I never realized what a talent Fallon was.

TL and jr, when I try to spell something using the British spelling, my computer flags or corrects it for me. American english is lazy english. colour is spelled color