Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 41

Old 12-06-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Went snowmobiling with my daughters for the first time today.

If I had still been drinking, I wouldn't have a cabin, snowmobiles, or a family to share them with.

Thanks for being there when I needed you, my SR friends.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Going to spend a quiet night on the anniversary of my 20th month. Doing some writing for my music blog and watching Olive snooze. Typical night.

Glad you had a great time Spark. Isn't it wonderful to again enjoy the small things?
Old 12-06-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

I agree! I'm feeling much happier and more optimistic now. A few more hours and I will hit 4 months sober!
Old 12-07-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Sass on 4 months!

Congratulations, Drake, on 20 months!
Old 12-07-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Drake, many congrats on 20 months! Wow!
Old 12-07-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Welcome, Findingtheway!
Old 12-07-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Sas congrats on 4 months!

Sparky snowmobiling sounds fun!

Drake congrats on 20 months!

Well I've been doing some major cleaning around the house for the past 5 hours. My sis takes off to cancun tomorrow for a week and I want to be able to enjoy my house staying clean since she's not the most organized. Now for a little tv and a nap!
Old 12-07-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Drake - Congratulations on 20 months of sobriety. I hope you enjoyed your day in with Olive. Keep up the good work - and the new playground and playmates will follow.

Saskia - Congratulations on 1/3 of a year of sobriety. It's inspiring to see you choose to do things outside of your comfort zone in order to grow in your sobriety.

Gilmer - How's your dad doing?

BoozeFree - A clean house sounds really nice! I hope you enjoy your week of freedom from clutter.

Sparky - I admire your gratitude for your sober life, and I'm glad you enjoyed your time with your daughters.

This coming week of work is going to be a big challenge because I have to put all my training into practice. In sobriety I don't have the Sunday night blues. Before, when I would think about any coming challenges, I'd get depressed, dread the upcoming stress, and mitigate my feelings by telling myself that I could drink afterwards. What a time consuming, convoluted process! It's so much better to take life one day at a time, accept that there will stress, and save myself the space to enjoy the present. Have a good day one and all!
Old 12-07-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Congrats on the Big 4 Saskia!

Old 12-07-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the congrats on my 4-month sober anniversary. I plan to pick up my chip tomorrow evening. Every day I spend a few minutes on gratitude for being sober another day and it does leave me feeling good!

Yes, Glee, I also am finding that life sober is so much simpler. It feels like I've lost the ball and chain I was carting around. Good luck with the coming week. I'm betting that you'll be just fine :-)

Drake, BF and Gilmer, thank you for celebrating with me!
Old 12-07-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes for the week Glee

D
Old 12-07-2014, 11:48 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Congratulations saskia and keep up the good work.
Hope all goes well glee
Keep fighting the fight one and all
I'm still doing ok.... keeping aware though as av still shouting at me. .... increased my toolkit by ordering a couple of new help books to read. Will have to make time to read as they won't help me by just being there. Time to roll out of my warm bed and face the day,week,life.xx
Old 12-08-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

You're an excellent fighter, Petals. I like how you are ever-vigilant to add tools to your toolbox! You will definitely beat alcohol!
Old 12-08-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Petals, thanks! You have a great attitude and can do this. I'm finding it is getting easier and the AV doesn't yammer as loudly or as often :-). Progress, not perfection.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Grrr just had a message from hubby to say we will have to cancel our night out Friday with his old work colleague and wife. ...whom I like. ... and am ok with not drinking with. .....
Because he is going to his Christmas works outing.... will get totally wasted and I will have to be the dutiful wifeie...... running him around and home.
Wonder how long I will feel its my payback for my previous drinking sessions......
Hope my books arrive....cant afford to let this upset me too much. Xx
Old 12-08-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, Petals. You'll probably be steeled to it by Friday night. Maybe you can plan a special treat for the evening.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Petals hang in there. And I agree maybe treat yourself to something nice friday.

Just checking in. Gonna relax and hang out with a friend today and watch some tv and enjoy having my house to myself! It's so nice to wake up and see my house is nice and clean!
Old 12-08-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

And quiet, too, BFree!
Old 12-08-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Hi All,

I have a slightly contrarian view on the Holiday Season. I am looking forward to it, and even welcome being around social drinkers. I know this sounds a little weird.

Mrs. Glandon and I have been invited to a host of various Holiday functions-some of which we've already attended, others to come.

As I walk in, I already know in advance that while I am there, I am going to enjoy some type of tasty AF drinks, so it's no big deal- I don't feel any temptations. What is interesting, is watching others drink (frequency, amounts of consumption, etc). As a non-drinker, I've become very aware of the consumption patterns by others. I find this to be very therapeutic and helpful in my non-drinking journey. I see how "normal" people attend these parties and drink. What I see is the VAST number of people I observe, drink very moderately, and yet enjoy the party or dinner very much, just like I did.

For instance, we attended a dinner party last evening with about 5 other couples. The host couple really enjoys fine wines and various liquors. So, with each course, there was a wine-pairing and then various liqueurs to finish things off. With each course, a comment might be made about how a certain wine complemented that dish we were enjoying. Most people took a sip or two, with their food, commented on the wine and that was about it. There were at least 4 or 5 wines served, and yet most people had pretty full glasses left at the end of each course.

I am learning, by example, that most people don't need to rely on AL as an important part of their social party/dinner experience. This is the way normal folks operate and it's good to see them in action.

BY STARK CONTRAST, I can remember my last year's Holiday experiences. I was pretty much oblivious to what anyone else was drinking. All I knew was I wanted to get hammered and the more I could drink either at the event, (or slightly in advance as a warm-up) the better. All the glasses of wine, etc. placed in front of me were finished in very short order.

Point is, that after my firm decision to quit, and after reaching some sustained level of sobriety, I find it helpful and in fact educational, to re-orient my way back into normal social occasions, and see how other people handle this stuff. All the time knowing that I will forever be the outlier because I do not have an "off button" when it comes to AL, therefore I simply don't drink and that's just fine. We all enjoyed each others company, the other guests had some AL, I didn't, but we all had a great time together.

On the darker side, on one occasion, I did observe an individual who was drinking way too much- I felt sorry for the person and yet it once again made me feel grateful for my ability to quit.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Thanks all for the congrats on my 4-month sober anniversary. I plan to pick up my chip tomorrow evening. Every day I spend a few minutes on gratitude for being sober another day and it does leave me feeling good!

Yes, Glee, I also am finding that life sober is so much simpler. It feels like I've lost the ball and chain I was carting around. Good luck with the coming week. I'm betting that you'll be just fine :-)

Drake, BF and Gilmer, thank you for celebrating with me!
Congratulations my sober twin on 4 months yayyy!! I am a couple of days behind you (mine is on Friday) ! Do something extra special for yourself!!!! Hugs, Chris