Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 16

Old 11-16-2014, 12:45 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Solil, your story echoes my own experience, and I'm sure many others as well.

It is definitely worth persisting. I can't tell you how much I've wanted the freedom of sobriety over the years. Now it's with me I feel like I can conquer the world (obviously I wouldn't actually do that because it would take up far too much time )

You're a hairs breadth away from that freedom too.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:23 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Up,... grabbing a bat and taking a swing at quitting is huge !
That takes some cahunas right there. Like Obo, if it's any consolation , I'm still sitting in the dugout too.

I hope you can carry yourself to the store and get your mitts on a new water bottle today.

Soli, ... I may have an advanced degree in that " not letting it get out of hand " notion !? Your analogy is a good one .

Freein, ..... really like your expression " Teetotaler "
Sounds so positive ! Still don't understand why it's not spelled Teatotaller though !??

Made the mistake of bush hogging last week without a mask. Started off to do just a little, but ended up a little too *exuberant* myself. Finally finished out the painting on this cottage, ( except for the hurricane shutters which will have to wait for the spring )

Picked up a rear tine tiller a couple months ago on Craigs List and it's been ,...well ,
challenging the first two times. The grapevine root system here has had decades ( if not longer ) to mature. The big stuff I can ax and pull out with a thick rope on the trailer hitch, .... the tines wrap up the smaller ones easy enough.
Still can't believe how much buried garbage is around here. Apparently, ..it was customary to use your own property as a small landfill before the bridge was built to access the mainland in 1956 . The folks living here were first generation descendants of slavery.

Anyway, ...it's a slow tedious process. lol ....maybe a goat would be a better idea !?

Mariah, Izzy, Chick, Obo, Adna...and the rest of our gang, ( U 2 Dee !! )...thanks for keeping this going like you do.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Tops, it does seem odd to spell it "tee", and not "tea". Apparently it was a fellow called Richard Turner who coined the word in 1833. Perhaps spelling wasn't his strong point.

It sounds like you have an awful lot to keep you busy there.

You must be so pleased to have finished the painting, that's a great job to get done before winter sets in.

It's been a lovely day here, I've been planting up some hyacinths, and generally clearing up the garden. Unfortunately, we had a little upset this morning. One of our goldfish has been sickly for quite some time, but today he was floating upside down at the top off the pond so we took the decision to stop his suffering. Not nice, but I think it was the kindest thing to do.

Hope everyone's still enjoying the weekend. It feels like it's gone far too quickly again.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

I've just looked up the origins of the word "teetotal". There are couple of theories.

Some say that Richard Turner had a bit of a stammer and in a speech said that "nothing but t-t-tee- total abstinence from liquor would do". Another theory suggests that those who signed the pledge for abstinence always put the letter "t" by their name. And another theory says that the a "t" was added just to emphasise the word "total". So it looks like the tee has nothing to do with tea at all!

How curious it all is.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Freein, ...you did the humane thing by that poor little guy.

My work week starts in about 6 hours and outside of a vacation day coming this Saturday, ..it'll be a 10 day stretch. It's turning out to be a good day for a long nap with this drizzling rain, ......

Looks like we wore out the Indian Summer last week,
darn,

If I had the means, .. I'd be travelling to the hottest part of Australia in about 2 weeks !? !!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Curious indeed !??
Oh my, ....I kind of like the stammering theory , ..it's a little funnier

Maybe we should spell it with Tea now ,
We can always use a little more literary freedom anyway ....the fools way ,

One things for sure, old Richy T had the total abstinence part right !
Old 11-16-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Learn something new all the time.

How is everyone?
Old 11-16-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Hey guys,

Soli- glad you're back

Chick- you and my daughter need to get together. She's already planning her next chicks. She incubates them. She's like the chicken whisperer or somethin'. I enjoy the fresh eggs.

Up- how are you today? Sometimes when I'm discouraged about things not being where I think they should be, it helps to think about how far I've come... Seems like youve come a long way ...

Top- I'll join you on that Australia trip. it's mighty cold out here. And I have a feeling wed laugh a lot on our way over.

Obo- hope you're sleeping better- and that you get to go home soon.

I'm learning(I hope) to deal with some specific challenges that can really wear me out. This whole process is hopefully teaching me how to handle things more healthfully in general. Free- I love the chart idea. I made one recently - quadrants actually that need to be addressed concerning this specific challenge. Glad I'm not the only one that tackles problems like that!

Have a good one, fools
Old 11-16-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I'm here, same as always.
I know I've come far getting clean, it's a long story.

Hope you are doing good izz
Old 11-16-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  
Administrator

anytime you want to unburden yourself UP you have a ready audience

D
Old 11-16-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Thanks Dee
Old 11-16-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Quick check in just in case I'm too tired after Walking Dead and Talking Dead
Old 11-16-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Good to see you soli. Enjoy.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:57 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Hello everyone! Busy weekend. Went to a concert and had the funny realization that I have never drank at a concert. Even though concerts seem like perfect places to drink and a lot of people were drinking, somehow I've never had anything to drink at one. I just like focusing on the music and find that to be enough of a distraction. Had a great time. In a few minutes I'll be on 30 days sober again. Happy beginning of the week all. And to all those struggling, keep fighting. Every day sober is worth it
Old 11-16-2014, 11:09 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

that's funny UP!

We're having a second attempt to see the solicitor today, to sort out my Mums power of attorney. It will be good to get it over with. But it's an incredibly expensive business.

Getting old seems to be a lottery, wouldn't it be lovely to be able to guarantee a happy and healthy old age. I suppose we need to be grateful for what we can do today, in this moment. I have a very bad habit of wishing my time away: "8 hours to go before I can leave work", "can't wait for the weekend", "roll on the next holiday", etc etc. I'm missing the fact that I'm here now, and able to do the things I need to do.

Sorry to be a bit reflective today, seeing my Mums mental health decline so quickly leaves me feeling a bit helpless. I'm grateful to be facing this challenge sober. At least I can be as supportive as possible.

Hope everyone's day goes well.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:22 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Rocks, congratulations on 30 days, that's a great number to have under your belt.

You'll be clocking up months from now on. I'm so pleased for you.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:26 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Rocks

D
Old 11-16-2014, 11:32 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2014, 11:59 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Congrats on 30 days rocks!

Hope everything goes smoothly this time free. Also I'll say a prayer for your mom's health.

Hope everything goes smoothly for you too chick. Saying aa prayer for you and granny.

I'm pulling an obo ... 3 am and I can't sleep.

Have a good day / night.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:05 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

If only we were on the same time Up, we could have the early am recovery therapy sessions for pseudo insomniacs........... who hate smoking..........!
Old 11-17-2014, 01:24 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Thank you UP, I really appreciate that.
Is your neck any better today? Hope you're able to get some good quality sleep.

You too Obo! Hope you can find a solution to your geographical angst.

Love to all our Fools.