Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 10

Old 10-22-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Mv that's brilliant to remember!!

Pink hope you're hanging in there. I hate it when the av hits out of the blue
Old 10-22-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Pink, I hope your AV has gone. When mine arrives I usually eat, eat, and eat more.

After reading everything posted since my morning greeting, I have come to the understanding that my AV is appearing less and less frequently.

It is my BAD HABIT that reminds me of drinking.
Going by the Trader Joe's that sells wine.......hmmm....should stop in.......NO, I DON'T DRINK!

Going by restaurant that has sign COLDEST BEER ON CAPE COD.......hmmmm......they do have ice cold beer, and I love their Caesar salad with steak tips......NO ! ! I DON'T DRINK!!!

Going by the new restaurant that opened this past month, very close to my home, wondering if they have a liquor license like the last business in that building did....then, WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE? I DON'T DRINK ! ! !

It seems to be my old bad routine-drinking habit more than my AV at this point in time. I agree that there were many times I did not even really feel the need for a drink, but I drank because I always drank in that situation....

As you can all tell, this has been a real eye-opener for me.

I hope everyone is doing well....Apple, please let us know what is up with you.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Scooter I can totally relate! There were times I drank when I didn't even wanto to drink it was just "what I did". I remember even forcing down the first few gulps to get the buzz as quickly as possible to numb my mind to the stupidity I was partaking in. Then I wouldn't remember much of the rest only to wake up with left over Chinese food or pizza and wings all over the table (and of course lots of empty liquor bottles/cans). Not my idea of a good time anymore !!
Old 10-22-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

have had dinner, now settling back into my studying. My man is home, so I know I'll be okay now :-) he delivered well with a big hug and those 'I know its hard, honey' eyes. Feeling safe and blessed.

thanks MV, scooter & christina. sneaky little devil. its being home alone that is a big trigger.
BUG HUGS!!!!

apple check in honey, lots of love here for you x

brach awesome that the job is going well, life is good! you too cute

TX are you ok??? Long time no see xx

hobbers and ph7 you guys must be racking up those days now huh?? check in and let us all know!

Hoping everyone is doing ok out there xxx
Old 10-22-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by calichris View Post
Scooter I can totally relate! There were times I drank when I didn't even wanto to drink it was just "what I did". I remember even forcing down the first few gulps to get the buzz as quickly as possible to numb my mind to the stupidity I was partaking in. Then I wouldn't remember much of the rest only to wake up with left over Chinese food or pizza and wings all over the table (and of course lots of empty liquor bottles/cans). Not my idea of a good time anymore !!

I could have written that myself minus the food. Blah. Not a good feeling.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

S Pink, glad you made it! Didn't have any doubts though, really. You're doing great.
Knb, I don't know if anxiety and panic attacks are the same, but they are horrible.
Penkins, good luck on your public speaking. You can do it girl!
Scooter, my bad habit of drinking too much, and too often, led me to the addiction. I agree with you on the triggers though, hopefully in time they will fade.
Didn't get all chores done, I really needed to do one last grass cutting, mulching, etc but the blasted mower just wouldn't start. Got really annoyed, and came in, got online. Need to finish up my dinner prep.
Pulled pork sammies, slaw, and fresh cut fries tonight. Not exactly healthy, but that's what's on the menu tonight.
Where is Applekat and Grateful been? Maybe I just missed their posts?
Old 10-22-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Great job on 75, Glandon! Great posts today, team.
I agree on the whole quitting forever and bad habit conversation. I'm certainly quitting forever. I have every reason to believe I would die very early from drinking, so it's just plain forever. Most of the time, when I think of AL, it's the old habits that i'm reminded of, not actual desire. The AV is around, though. I've noticed that the farther I get from drinking, the more the AV uses games of perception. My addiction has to make me believe that my decision to quit was a bad one. Good luck with that one-but I have to pay attention to this and take the time to define my reasons I quit and the very real negative consequences I've already suffered, and the logical path of destruction my drinking would obviously take me. A quick brain checkin with these makes me quite happy to stay sober.

Alcohol ultimately killed the quality of my life and my ability to make myself happy-drinking or no. That's what i'm working on these days, and i'm seeing improvement in every nook and cranny-as long as I remain willing to look.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Hey all!

Pink glad you got through that tough patch! My AV was there for the first time in a while, having a little go! It doesn't seem to be in such a direct 'really want a drink' type of way anymore but it's less direct. Today it seemed to be around the idea of going out for a night out, like how would I cope? would I want to? will my work friends think I'm boring? etc etc which can lead into the thought of drinking situations!! I let that thought stream go when I realised where it was going haha. As soon as I bring it back to reality and get a bit of gratitude for where I am now it soon passes.

How have you been getting on Maximus?

Choobie wow your post kind of echo's what I was just trying to get across haha!! I'm glad things are getting so much better for you also!

Cristina glad to see you so active in here!

I hope y'all are having a happy and peaceful day!
Old 10-22-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Choobie, excellent post.
Brach, thanks, I'm getting better day by day. Know this to be true, because I'm feeling crabby now. Was so sick there for a bit, couldnt even get annoyed, pissed. How's your new job? I'm hoping you are liking it, and doing well. Heard from cute , he's doing well too with his new position.
Good to see so many checkin in today.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScooterBoo View Post
Pink, I hope your AV has gone. When mine arrives I usually eat, eat, and eat more.

After reading everything posted since my morning greeting, I have come to the understanding that my AV is appearing less and less frequently.

It is my BAD HABIT that reminds me of drinking.
Going by the Trader Joe's that sells wine.......hmmm....should stop in.......NO, I DON'T DRINK!

Going by restaurant that has sign COLDEST BEER ON CAPE COD.......hmmmm......they do have ice cold beer, and I love their Caesar salad with steak tips......NO ! ! I DON'T DRINK!!!

Going by the new restaurant that opened this past month, very close to my home, wondering if they have a liquor license like the last business in that building did....then, WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE? I DON'T DRINK ! ! !

It seems to be my old bad routine-drinking habit more than my AV at this point in time. I agree that there were many times I did not even really feel the need for a drink, but I drank because I always drank in that situation....

As you can all tell, this has been a real eye-opener for me.

I hope everyone is doing well....Apple, please let us know what is up with you.
I try to use situations like these to recognize, acknowledge, then differentiate who I was-from who I am.

Great strategy! When I pass a liquor store I used to frequent, I point and smile and say out loud to myself, "I remember when I used to stop! I'm so glad I don't do that anymore." If I go to a restaurant with beer on tap, I'll look at the list and say to myself, "When I was drinking I'd order x. I'm glad I don't drink anymore".

Basically, I try to actively short circuit my prior habits through positive and immediate self talk and affirmation.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

ultra, thanks for that post, I like the idea of acknowledging something, using the correct tense, and reframing the situation and reminding myself of the positivity, and the fact I have made the choice and am still strong. Thank you. will actively do this throughout tomorrow as an activity and analyse my thoughts tomorrow eve.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sthlondonab View Post
Ah 1step it was side-to-side big time on the approach with a big drop on the way down to the runway. I found it quite exciting really, but most of the other peeps on the plane didn't.

Bowling for your birthday sounds spot on!

I forgot the lovely Grateful on my roll call....I see her on the 24hr thread just before me most days. Give us a check in Grateful!
Thanks london!

I am still here...just in the middle of a whirlwind work week plus my daughter's choral and orchestra concerts. I love going to my kids events but there have been three in one week. It has been a struggle with all my work plus I don't have a car so it takes so long to get everywhere.

I didn't even realize how long it had been since I checked in here! Need to rethink my schedule...I know when I get overwhelmed with work it leads to not taking good care of myself...which is then so bad for my recovery. Thanks for reeling me back in with your note. I need to recommit to at least checking in each day with all of you lovely people.

I have been reading your posts while on the train to and from work. Just hate posting from my phone. Thank you all; it has helped me to read them all.

Looking forward to Friday! As I'm typing this I'm realizing how I need to go back to really trying to live in the moment.

Hope everyone is well.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinklinzangel View Post
ultra, thanks for that post, I like the idea of acknowledging something, using the correct tense, and reframing the situation and reminding myself of the positivity, and the fact I have made the choice and am still strong. Thank you. will actively do this throughout tomorrow as an activity and analyse my thoughts tomorrow eve.
Hey Pink!

Will you be actively doing this at Tescoe tomorrow?
Old 10-22-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinklinzangel View Post
Ultra/Pink I do the same! Very powerful tool ! I call it Positive Reinforcement and ReWiring of our Brain. Great stuff !!

I also use negative reinforcement depending on my mood (like "oh God how miserable I would be if I had a drink and the gut-wrenching misery it would bring me the next day, week, etc.")

I find some days I am in a very positive mood and the positive reinformcement works better, and some days I may feel blah and the negative reinforcement "speaks to me" more powerfully. The point is, we can "try" different techniques on any given day and use the one that "speaks to us" that day.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
ph7

Hi all,

(pink I was just about to check in )

Hope everyone is ok

I haven't checked in for a while but have been keeping up with your ups and downs. I was gonna write some stuff on Monday but it took me over an hour to read your posts from the weekend.

So important news personally... Last Friday. A friend of mine had text in the week to see what I'd been up to as we hadn't seen each other since May and another friend was coming to town for a few beers who I hadn't seen for over a year. These guys were old work colleagues who I spent hours and hours (daily) in the pub for a few years to drink at lunchtimes and after work. They were part of my formative alchoholic years. This was gonna be hard. So nervously I attended. Met up with the first guy at 5pm and the first thing he said is what you drinking. I looked at him and he said "well last time I saw you, you were drinking coke or something stupid". I said I'll have a coke. I was a bit confused by what he said then remembered I had seen him once during one of my previous failed attempts at sobriety. So he went and got me a coke. He had already brought me a pint which was stashed behind a menu on the table lol. I briefly explained I don't drink no more he said fair enough and we carried on as our normal silly selves when we get together. A couple of other friends turned up the cokes were flowing.

Wen't to another bar switched to lemonade. Then another bar with more lemonade while my mates necked pints and Yagermiester all evening.
The last place we were in was quite loud so couldn't really hear what they were slurring and I just stood and bopped on the spot to the dance music that was playing. Got a bus back at 11:30 and got back sober.
I really enjoyed myself and I hadn't been out for a good while and I don't remember ever being out without a drink. I didn't even want one.

A massive stride forward to lifelong sobriety.

So here I am completing Day 77 and going strong.

Take care guys & be strong!
Old 10-22-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

ph7 congratulations on day 77 !!!! And that is a great story and a great display of sober strength good on you !!!!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

excellent PH!!!! good to hear from you, and what a great positive tale too, massive well done to you! and day 77, that's marvellous!! glad your friends accepted things and didn't push you.

Gratefull.......well, tomorrow IS shopping day......I might pop in on my way home. I miss Mavis! will keep you posted!!!
Old 10-22-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Everyone is doing soo well! What an inspiration! Congrats everyone!

Well i did it! I gave my first public presentation. Didn't throw up. Or burp or fart or fall down. (Yes all my fears)!! My coworker said I did good. I really don't know. All i remember is sweat pouring down my back, legs and forehead. My voice shaking. And looking at the clock when i was done and realizing I turned an hour long presentation into 30 minutes! LOL. I don't think they minded because they filled the following 30 minutes with questions which my coworker took over.

And then there is tomorrow. Last presentation of the week. And my boss is planning on going. And i am planning on talking her out of it. Haha! She is a bit intimidating.

Max! Ur pulled pork sammies sound good. Tonight i threw corn dogs n french fries in the oven. LOL. Sooo not healthy. But sooo very ez.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by penkins View Post
Everyone is doing soo well! What an inspiration! Congrats everyone!

Well i did it! I gave my first public presentation. Didn't throw up. Or burp or fart or fall down. (Yes all my fears)!! My coworker said I did good. I really don't know. All i remember is sweat pouring down my back, legs and forehead. My voice shaking. And looking at the clock when i was done and realizing I turned an hour long presentation into 30 minutes! LOL. I don't think they minded because they filled the following 30 minutes with questions which my coworker took over.

And then there is tomorrow. Last presentation of the week. And my boss is planning on going. And i am planning on talking her out of it. Haha! She is a bit intimidating.

Max! Ur pulled pork sammies sound good. Tonight i threw corn dogs n french fries in the oven. LOL. Sooo not healthy. But sooo very ez.
Congratulations Penkins what a great achievement !!!!
Old 10-22-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Great story PH! It can be done, fun and sober. Lemonade is my favorite too!!