Notices

Class of June 2014

Old 06-07-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

well done Minion 09. Time up is so valuable.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Welcome Janeeb!

Django and Phil, no worries...just don't drink today and try again...no judgements here.

As I was watering my flowers yesterday I was thinking about how you can see the difference immediately when the plants take in water. They go from being limp and sad looking to perky and healthy in just a few seconds. Then I thought about how crazy it would be to water my plants with alcohol!?!?! There is a scene in "Breakfast at Tiffany's where she waters flowers with her drink and it always made me cringe that she would poison the flowers. Yet i was always "watering" myself with alcohol and continuously poisoning myself and dehydrating myself...so damaging! So now I try to remind myself to treat myself as good as I would my plants. I hope this makes sense.

Happy sober Saturday Juners!
Old 06-07-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grateful11 View Post
So now I try to remind myself to treat myself as good as I would my plants. I hope this makes sense.
I don't have much of a green thumb, but I really like that analogy. Thank you Grateful.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Nice flower analogy!!

And congrats Minion!!

Day 7 nailed here, 1am Saturday night and I'm going to sleep SOBER!! Feels so good. I work early Sun mornings so will be nice not to be hungover, for once! Had a great day at the beach with my kids and resisted a bottle of my favourite wine in the sunshine when we ate dinner in the garden tonight! Then abstained from my usual several vodkas in front of TV too. Feeling so good!!

Happy weekend all xx
Old 06-07-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Congratulations Cowgirlie!
Old 06-07-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you might be overthinking things a little Phil. I did too.

Just focus on not raising that glass of booze to your lips.

Once you get that down you can start working on all the other stuff - you'll find your perception will be sharper and your capabilities enhanced

Congrats on your week Cowgirlie

D
Old 06-07-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Im in for June...albeit a little late. Day 1 again.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Minion09 View Post
Beautiful sunny day here in the NEast... have a super sober saturday everyone! 30 days today
Awesome job! Keep it up! Very motivational to me as I am on day 7.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Mish

D
Old 06-07-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Congrats Minion on 30 days, that must feel fantastic.

I'm at day 10, and though I still don't *feel* fantastic, I'm pretty amazed that I've gotten this far.

Hi to everyone and to those that have "fallen off the wagon", you're here and that's what matters.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Day 8 - It has been an extremely difficult weekend for me as I have had to tell myself over and over NO this is your new life and I'm in control.

No more waking up to get drunk and pass out to wake back up at lunch to do it again and repeat...

That was no way to live and I have waisted so many years of my life in that cycle. I keep saying it was time to step off that ride and find happiness. I'm having to repeat this over and over...It's here somewhere but I'll never find it passed out.

I have had to curb craving multiple times yesterday and already today to go get a pack of beer. This is a hard... a lot harder than I ever imagined.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Administrator

It will get easier ForgiveMeAll, I promise

D
Old 06-08-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Hi all, can I join? I'm a binge drinker, on Day 1 again. I joined the May thread towards the end of May, but I lapsed last night - one day shy of two weeks sober. I'm getting straight back on the wagon though, I was enjoying being sober so much until yesterday and I don't want to give up on myself just yet. I feel this is different from other times I've relapsed (once after two weeks in November 2012, then after three months in June last year), because this is the first time I've got straight back up again. The last two times, I stopped coming onto SR after making the choice to drink, and just allowed my drinking to creep up again. This time is different - I'm fighting, I'm here. I learned things about myself yesterday that I will use next time.

I hope everyone is well
Old 06-08-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ForgiveMeAll View Post
I have had to curb craving multiple times yesterday and already today to go get a pack of beer. This is a hard... a lot harder than I ever imagined.
That was me yesterday, and I was weak. I can't give any advice, because if I knew the answer I wouldn't have relapsed yesterday. But I know how you feel

For me there's this really dangerous time once you have a good few days sober under your belt, but you're not yet out of the habit of basing your emotions and cravings and routines around alcohol. The AV is just screaming for you to go back to your old ways, and you haven't had time to build new ways yet. It takes real inner strength to break that cycle.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Day 7 for me of sobriety (I did drink two thirds of a beer given to me on Saturday, but stopped before I finished it)

Anyway, I'm extremely depressed today. So while not hungover and regretting my Saturday night like I usually do after a binge, I'm extremely depressed. I don't have any urge to drink, but just feel lousy. Ugh
Old 06-08-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Back to day 1 and just really angry with myself.I was in a great mood knowing full well it's because I was sober,but I wanted to get that little bit higher.Strange as it just makes me depressed but I still get tricked.Ive contacted a few people from AA and was honest with them so that's a positive I spose.

Glad to see there's many doing well,those that are struggling don't do it,you feel so much. Worse if you drink :-(
Old 06-08-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

snowbunting - welcome and thanks for your posts, really insightful and helpful in thinking about how to win this fight

nymets - I'm really sorry you're feeling depressed, I've been having the same struggle. If you can, give yourself permission to just rest and take care of yourself, and remember that you're not alone.

I'm on day 11, starting to feel a little better - the anxiety is much better, but that is likely largely thanks to the med my MD put me on. I have an appointment with my therapist today, going to have to admit that I didn't go to a meeting, but I did have a work trip and then was just feeling so awful ... I do intend to give it a try.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Django View Post
Back to day 1 and just really angry with myself.I was in a great mood knowing full well it's because I was sober,but I wanted to get that little bit higher.Strange as it just makes me depressed but I still get tricked.Ive contacted a few people from AA and was honest with them so that's a positive I spose.
Django I've noticed that same thing ... I always knew that feeling stressed would make me want to drink, but it took me a while to realize that feeling happy was just as much of a trigger, if not more.

Being honest is a huge positive, as is being back here. And now hopefully you can use what you learned from this time to keep it from happening again.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Welcome Mish and Snowbunting!

Just checking in on this cool Sunday morning on my way to work. I had a tough night last night. I was lonely and just wanted to erase how I felt. Then my night completely changed gears. I posted on the newcomers thread that I was struggling which is a change for me to tell on myself. I immediately got several helpful replies which helped tremendously because then I didn't feel so alone anymore. I stayed sober and a friend surprised me by making me dinner then we went for a long walk and got gelato. It was wonderful! I'm so grateful I didn't blow it by drinking!

Enjoy your day sober Juners! It's worth it and we can do this together!
Old 06-08-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Day 6. It wasn't an easy day, I kind of struggled to keep my mind occupied. It's not that I can't find things to do, but I have a lot of trouble focusing, so I'll do something for half an hour, then get bored and look for something new. I've been like that as long as I can remember, so I'm not sure if it's alcohol related or something else, though I know where my brain always wants to go. I had planned to take tomorrow off from work as well (4 day weekend), but I think I'll skip that and go into the office. I could really use the distraction.

On a better note, I had been keeping a 6 pack of beer in the fridge "just in case", but I finally got up the nerve to dump it down the sink a few minutes ago. I did it fast, because I was afraid to even smell it, but it's done, and I can cross off that temptation.

Hope everyone is having a nice Sunday.