Notices

Class of January 2014 Part 9

Old 07-17-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone,

Busy here but wanted to drop in and say Howdy.

Odelle, pics of the pup, please. I know how much time a pup can take but oh the love they give.

Wendolene, North is right. Treat yourself kindly and breathe. Nmothing is so important that you have to rush headlong into it. WHEN THOUGHTS COME INTO YOUR HEAD, TRY TO RELAX AND PRAY. Pause and think.

North, good luck with your building.

We are trying to get ready for our trip out of state for a funeral and taking care of our business. Need to juggle things quite a bit.

Have a lovely day. thinking of you ALL.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Just checking in I am still sober 6 months+. It's been hard but reading your posts are a big help!My thyroid has packed up and i have to take a tablet every day for the rest of my life but when the doc told me i had mixed feelings, the first was this sucks than my av jumped in with maybe you can start drinking again because it wasn't the drink that was the problem it was your broken thyroid. Dam that av i haven't but some days it hard. I don't do AA because I'm not in to church do you think it would help!
Old 07-17-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Hi Beardy,

Congrats on 6 months. To stay sober, you do need some tools to keep you sober.

As far as AA goes, yes, it has helped many agnostics, atheists and those like myself who believe in God.

It is a spiritual program but you choose your higher power. Some people even choose the group itself.

Give it a try. It can't hurt and may just be just what you need to help keep you sober.

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi beardy - it's good you're challenging the AV...I think you know deep down it wasn't your thyroid that was the problem?

also let your AV know that the worst thing you could do now is drink:
Impact of alcohol use on thyroid function
D
Old 07-17-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

beardy, I too did have thyroid cancer, radiation treatment and all the rest! Wish there was as simple of a pill for alcoholism lol! It took a while to get the dosage right, but now I am the envy of all the girls! Control my weight with a simple pill!! AA isn't for everyone, but the fellowship of AA and SR sure helped me!!!
Old 07-17-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

" If you really want to do something, you'll find a way
If you don't, you'll find an excuse..." I love that North; so true
Old 07-20-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Happy Sober Sunday classmates!

Mary - I like to read a few inspirational quotes every morning, just like SR and the Daily Reflections, it helps me keep my mind focused on the truly important things in life! I chose that quote as my signature because it basically tells my story as an alcoholic, always having an excuse, never my fault... now, I know that I have finally "found a way"

Kris, Odelle, Adee, Wendolene, beardy, Dee, Mesa, blondsober, Kiya, and all the rest I can't think of off the top of my head - Hoping that this finds you all in good health and even better peace and contentment!

I had a bit of a rough go of it last week, a real test of my sobriety, but made it through ok. I did learn a valuable lesson about myself and my defects of character. I'm quite pleased with my progress so far, but realize my biggest defect, probably the main reason I drank, was anger! I told the Missus that I'm back to square one on this issue, that I'm going to put aside my other smaller shortcomings for the time being and just work on my anger. It's not "rant and rave anger" but an anger that will distort my thought and prayer process if I let it! Being sober is helping me to recognize these defects, and then asking God for the strength and courage to change...... just as the words in the Serenity Prayer tell me..... and seeking additional support from my wife, my friends here, and the fellowship of my AA home group......

Last week I posted on the Undies thread what I was feeling, put my emotions into words.... it helped, a lot! I hope it helps you guys as well...

Some things I wish.......

I wish that prayer will make all things get better..... it does if you bury your head in the sand and say "I pray and pray, what else can I do, my life right now is prayer, what else can I do?" But in reality, our prayers are nothing more than asking for the strength to get through the hard times..... and for asking, humbly, for the direction and guidance to get through... but, you also have to do your part in the prayer process.....

I wish that I had all the answers, truth is, I don't.....I fumble through life like everyone else, searching for the answers.....

I wish someone else could solve my problems, but they can't, that is up to me...

I wish that I'd never become an alcoholic..... too late.....I am and always will be.....

I wish I could take back all the horrible things I've done.....I can't, but I can make amends and ask for forgiveness.....

I wish I could make all the problems go away, I can't, but I can be there for myself and everyone else when those problems seem unbearable....

But above all, I wish that every day I wake up and look forward to spending my day being the best person I can be, then, just maybe, I won't yearn for all my other wishes!

And so my friends, lets all have a day filed with peace, contentment, and a resolve to be the best person we can be! I'll will end my long winded post with an inspiration I read this morning....

"We can't begin the next chapter in our life if we keep re-reading the last one"
Old 07-20-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Well, I'm officially on my last thread; who would have thought that a puppy could be so exhausting?

9 weeks.jpg

I don't think I've attached a photo before, so if this posts, I'll post an updated photo later; this was taken 2 weeks ago, when I still had some sanity.

Again, I apologize for not posting often, I barely have time to sign into the 24 hour thread lately. Huge drama Friday when I put an OTC flea treatment on pup and she became violently ill. I was up all night with her, but she seems to have bounced back 150% now.

I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying a nice relaxing Sunday!
Old 07-20-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Okay, that worked, now the grand finale, cat meets dog!

Cat meets dog.JPG

Pup is hanging out with my son while Mimi observes in the background.

Oh, one good way to see more of your adult children, get a puppy!
Old 07-20-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Odelle, certainly a cutie! And I'm sure worth all the effort as he/she grows with you!!
Old 07-20-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Good morning North,

Wow, how your post resignated with me; I could have written it myself. Anger is my undoing. Happily, my fuse is a little longer with sobriety, but I need to stay vigilant because when my little red devil appears, it distorts my thought process as well.

I too pray for patience and direction as I learn to live life without numbing feelings with alcohol.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings; know that you are not alone!
Old 07-20-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Odelle, what a beautiful pup. He has really nice markings and such a proud and smart look. Your work now will pay off for you later in a loyal and loving companion.

Anger resonates for me also. I used to be a fun drunk and the life of any party. The last several years I was more mean and filled with anger, too. Often times, when told I didn't need any more alcohol.

I now can control that side of me, sober. I just know when to shut up now. I also tell my AV to shut, too. I like the new me. I hope to keep her for a very long time.

I ask God everyday to show me where He wants me to be.

I'm so full of gratitude and thanks to God for doing for me what I could not do for myself.

Good on you North for getting through a challenging week. Life will always continue to challenge us but we need to continually work on ourselves to provide the stamina we need to stay sober. It is the only way to feel alive and worthwhile.

Hoping everyone else is doing okay and doing what is best for them. Onward we go together.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

This is going to be the biggest test of all. More emotionally than anything. I am headed on vacation with our friends we vacation with every year. Everyone is talking about how much they are going to drink because they really need a vacation. I will be watching. It makes me mad that I can't have a beer or 2 and stop and be in control. Why can't I be normal? But I know I can't and need to stay with not drinking at all. It may be an emotional week.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Administrator

Normal is a cycle on a washing machine

You've made a decision not to drink based on your past relationship with alcohol. I think you made a great choice.

This vacation will be as much fun as you let it be, startingnew2

Find other things to do when the others get to drinking.

D
Old 07-24-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Thanks D. It will be fun. Just having a rough day. I appreciate the support.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Startingnew2,

What is normal?

You, me, them?

Just go on your vacation and plan on having a good time and you will.

I understand your pre-jitters but they are just that.

You're more than your past habit.

Last edited by Kris47; 07-24-2014 at 02:41 PM. Reason: sp
Old 07-25-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Hi classmates! Just a quick check in to say that I'm alive and still kicking! lol

New2 - nice to see you back! I use the SR app on my phone when I get into "drinking situations" just popping in to read a few posts and I can return to the situation refreshed and renewed!

Odelle - How's the pup doing? Chewing up everything yet?? lol What did you name her?

Kris, Adee, Wendolene, Kiya, MesaMan, Beardy, Mary, and so many more, hope all is well!!

It's the yearly country fair here this weekend and the Missus and I try to get out to the farm for the weekend when the fair comes to town to escape the noise and busy streets, but it's looking like it's going to be a rainy weekend, so we might just stay home and do a hermit act lol Other than that, not much new with me, work is busy and it appears that about 4 jobs are going to all need me to do some work at the same time, so will need to figure out how to be in 2 places at once lol

So my friends, have a great Friday, an even better weekend, and remember, as Abraham Lincoln once said "the best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time"
Old 07-25-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Newstart2 i am too heading off on my holiday to portugal av playing up but one day at a time. The thing is the money that i am using to pay for the holiday is only their because i haven't been drinking everyday for the last 6 months so if i start again i will take this away from my family plus i am at last starting to have fun. When i look back on drinking the only thing i miss is game of getting the drink. I put alot of my life into that game and it left a big hole to fill but i have started to move on. It's still early days for us but we are winning. Good luck
Old 07-25-2014, 09:15 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

A Fine One

A fine Evening here on my lil Benchmark date of 6.5 months Sober. See a Pic below from a few hours ago while at our local Dog Park. There's two Rainbows, but not because I'm seeing double.

Someone here made the fine Analogy of his Drinking days being like remembering an old Relationship. Yah, it happened, and you were right in the midst of it. Perhaps for a long time. At some point, it is but a memory because you've moved on. Increasingly, that's how I view Drinking.

Best wishes to all for a good Weekend!
Old 07-25-2014, 09:36 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Resized Pic

Resized Pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rainbow Double_crop 2.jpg (29.6 KB, 29 views)