Notices

Class Of March 2014

Old 03-10-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

I've been having horrible sleep. My body is exhausted but I just lay there and wish for sleep for hours. I've heard others have this problem and I was wondering what may have worked for anyone that wasn't tea? I don't particularly care for most tea
Old 03-10-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aarryckha View Post
Glad it went well! I didn't find any women's groups around me.
Ary, I liked the coed one I went to yesterday. Many of the people were court ordered to attend. It made me very grateful I hadn't let my problems get that bad. I'm going to two meetings today, both coed.

I live near a big city, so may have more choices. I'd say try one, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

I haven't been keeping up with posts so forgive me if I sound selfish only talking about me right now...you guys are all awesome! I am on day 5. I have had some kind of awakening. I might not be on as much but keep up the good work!
Old 03-10-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tippy32 View Post
I've been having horrible sleep. My body is exhausted but I just lay there and wish for sleep for hours. I've heard others have this problem and I was wondering what may have worked for anyone that wasn't tea? I don't particularly care for most tea
I don't know what your lifestyle is like but don't watch tv in bed. Use your bed for sleeping only. Don't use the computer, cell phone or anything like that for one hour before bed. The blue screen has been linked to insomnia. Try and get outside for at least 20 minutes per day. These all work for me now. Your body needs adjustment to the lack of chemicals.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ilya View Post
Thanks Dee and Aarry (sorry I forgot the rest of your spelling!). I am actually a bit alarmed at how much I drank last night. I am afraid to count.
Really it was mostly wine. I've actually just drunk some pickle juice. I've heard it can help and it seemed silly enough to try.
I'm a bit anxious and feeling fearful... All things I've experienced from hangovers before.
Oh my god I want this experience to never ever come back. I don't want to do this anymore
Welcome Ilya. Keep this awful feeling in your mind. It will help in days to come.

It will get better quickly - and just think: if you don't drink, you won't feel like this again.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Okay, caught up! I love it that this thread is active. Lots of good stuff here, thank you all for posting your experiences.

This morning I woke up with a sugar hangover. Sugar. I've done this before back in my non-drinking past. Ugh.

It feels a little bit like an alcohol hangover - well, alcohol is a sugar, so duh. Not nearly as bad, but that foggy brain and tiny headache were there. I felt off yesterday afternoon and knew from past experience that sugar would help my widdle brain. It did. But maybe I need to moderate a little. LOL, a pint of Haagen Daas Rocky Road (no pun needed here) and two donuts m a y have been too much.

Okay, it was too much.

In that moment between wake/sleep, I really did think I'd had a drink.

Ibuprofen and antihistamine fixed it.

Remind me not to do that again.

Okay, I'm off for a shower. Going to a 10AM meeting.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

i threw it away, was still in two minds, just need someone to say no!!! so thank you
Old 03-10-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

I love March and really want to be part of the 2014 March Class if you guys will let me. I was in the July 2013 class but used and then drank at 7 months of sobriety. It was a horrible decision but it did remind me how miserable it feels to need something outside of yourself to feel good about life. Its funny because when I used and was high, all I could think about was being sober.

And when I drank all I could think about was scoring drugs and using. But last night I both drank/used and it was the perfect day for propelling me back into sobriety (the much better way to live). At first I sort of felt liberated by the relapse, along with shameful, guilty, embarassed. Liberated in the sense that I could try controlled drinking again. It was a little fun sitting on a bar stool again, but when a party bus dropped off 20 young drunk people, they stormed the bar where I was eating lunch and it just completely reminded me why alcohol is a crappy drug for me. It makes me depressed, it didn't use to.

Anyways I didn't sleep that much last night after an epic mission with a friend. We talked a lot about recovery and by the time we drove home I had totally decided that being sober was EXACTLY how I wanted to spend the remainder of my time here on Earth, helping other alcoholics/addicts. So since I'm kind of hungover I wont make 3/10/14 my sobriety date, I'll go with 3/11/14. Believe it or not, I am excited to get back on track, nothing can replace accomplishing real goals and growing into a better young man.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by countrygirl2014 View Post
I don't know what your lifestyle is like but don't watch tv in bed. Use your bed for sleeping only. Don't use the computer, cell phone or anything like that for one hour before bed. The blue screen has been linked to insomnia. Try and get outside for at least 20 minutes per day. These all work for me now. Your body needs adjustment to the lack of chemicals.
With countrygirl on this, my insomnia is dreadful too so google 'sleep hygiene' for do' sand don'ts. Blue wavelength light acts on melatonin and wakes us up so phones, tablets, tv and anything backlit before bed a bad idea. Blue wavelength is also emitted by lightbulbs and daylight obv, so I got some blue blocking glasses on Amazon to wear an hour or two before bed. They have orange lenses, you can still use screens wearing them and I start yawning < 30mins after wearing them. I can now actually drop off at lights out for a couple of hours, think they work. Have a regular bedtime routine and go to bed at the same time if possible. Take a warm lavender bath and a hot milky drink -- don't know where you are but we have Horlicks here in the UK which is good stuff. I have also found some excellent relaxation/hypnotherapy apps on iTunes by a guy called Andrew Johnson. There is one for sleep, stress - and quitting drinking. Recommend them. Finally, I'm trying to reframe my thinking when I am wide awake at 4am -- rather than getting stressed about it, I'm trying to be accepting that it comes with the territory and that I survived serial sleepless nights when my kids were tiny babies. It will get better, though not soon enough!
Old 03-10-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by toddle118 View Post
i threw it away, was still in two minds, just need someone to say no!!! so thank you
Brilliant. Now put the kettle on and have a cuppa!
Old 03-10-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midwesterner View Post
None of us right now know much about our hopes, desires or dreams because we buried those feelings in alcohol and other destructive behaviors. For me, problems are just that much worse because I have to deal with the problems AND do it with the crushing handicap of being an alcoholic. Rejoice in your supportive family and when you can't seem to do it anymore, ask for help, either with your family or here or both. YOU CAN DO IT. Just do it this minute, or the next 5 minutes, then go from there.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Alcohol to only exacerbates my other issues and I'm realizing has what I've built my life around. The lifestyle of partying is all I've known for so long, absent, I'm left with said issues. One day at a time though.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Ary, I liked the coed one I went to yesterday. Many of the people were court ordered to attend. It made me very grateful I hadn't let my problems get that bad. I'm going to two meetings today, both coed.

I live near a big city, so may have more choices. I'd say try one, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
There is one spot here that has 4 meetings a day. Maybe I will just check that one out.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

I have! And done loads of housework, the house was a mess, amazing how complacent you become when drinking is your main aim, so all nice and clean again! Thanks for your support x
Old 03-10-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sparkos View Post
The first thing you MUST do is empty the house of ALL the drink. Don't torture yourself with the knowledge that it's there, nor think you can be strong enough to give in to temptation. Get rid of it. Please.
Originally Posted by Shoshie8 View Post
Brilliant. Now put the kettle on and have a cuppa!
Ive forgotten how to reply with original post lol, brain like a seive
Old 03-10-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post

I live in a pretty big city also, was just hoping to find a women's group.

There is a place here that has meetings like 3-4 times a day. Maybe I'll just check that one out.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Day 5

On Day 5. Feel exhausted and emotional but made it through the weekend.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Tippy32, I had the same problem for awhile until I started taking over the counter Melatonin tabs about 30 mts. prior to going to bed......The tabs seemed to relax me enough to fall asleep and stay asleep....non-habit forming...most any stores carry them in their vitamin aisle...hope this helps you....
Old 03-10-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Originally Posted by YoungAndClean View Post
I love March and really want to be part of the 2014 March Class if you guys will let me. I was in the July 2013 class but used and then drank at 7 months of sobriety. It was a horrible decision but it did remind me how miserable it feels to need something outside of yourself to feel good about life. Its funny because when I used and was high, all I could think about was being sober.

And when I drank all I could think about was scoring drugs and using. But last night I both drank/used and it was the perfect day for propelling me back into sobriety (the much better way to live). At first I sort of felt liberated by the relapse, along with shameful, guilty, embarassed. Liberated in the sense that I could try controlled drinking again. It was a little fun sitting on a bar stool again, but when a party bus dropped off 20 young drunk people, they stormed the bar where I was eating lunch and it just completely reminded me why alcohol is a crappy drug for me. It makes me depressed, it didn't use to.

Anyways I didn't sleep that much last night after an epic mission with a friend. We talked a lot about recovery and by the time we drove home I had totally decided that being sober was EXACTLY how I wanted to spend the remainder of my time here on Earth, helping other alcoholics/addicts. So since I'm kind of hungover I wont make 3/10/14 my sobriety date, I'll go with 3/11/14. Believe it or not, I am excited to get back on track, nothing can replace accomplishing real goals and growing into a better young man.

Thanks for letting me share.
Welcome and congrats on your decision to give sobriety another go. We are glad to have you! Just keep that thought in your head when the times get tough.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Originally Posted by Loreleii View Post
On Day 5. Feel exhausted and emotional but made it through the weekend.
Congrats on day 5 and for making it through the weekend? Doesn't it feel great? This past weekend was the first weekend I have been sober in I don't know how long. It's going to get better!
Old 03-10-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Good deal Loreleii.....Same here It was amazing how much I got accomplished since I didn't start my Saturday morning out with big Vodka neat for breakfast.... SMH... The exhaustion will diminish as your system regenerates....again, congrats