Notices

Moms and Mums Club 2013 Part 8

Old 02-22-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I really enjoy knowing other moms in recovery. I get a lot from their stories and their strength. 2 of my 3 children have special needs and I think I used that as a reason to drink as much as I did. I drank alcoholically before I even got married so they are definitely not the reason!
I go to 4-5 meetings a week and have a sponsor I occasionally call and see. I also find working with a therapist helpful. I just don't drink.. No matter what. I still have cravings and my brain tries to convince me to drink but I am aware of the thoughts and let them pass without acting on them. Hope to learn more about all of you.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Good morning Moms,

2 weeks today, but I have been here many, many times. Will be much happier when it is 2 months again

Welcome to our group, joy! Congrats on 9 months. Yes, please share your secrets. I, too, drank heavily before meeting my husband and having our daughter. I was career oriented, single, living alone and drinking became one of my favorite hobbies. I did a lot of it alone. I never really knew how progressive this disease was. I remember going from drinking a couple glasses of wine a night to a bottle, then to 2 bottles, then to more than that some nights. Toward the end (last year of my drinking) I switched from wine to vodka because it was easier to hide, gave me a quicker buzz, and I didn't think hubby would smell it on me like he did wine. Anyway, I was headed down a dangerous path and finally realized that I need/want it out of my life, especially if I want to be around to watch my daughter grow up. So, here I am. Sorry for the ramble. Really just wanted to welcome you

Have a great Saturday, ladies. Will check back in later!
Old 02-22-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Ladybug- this is my 2 weeks today too!
Old 02-22-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

It's going to be 70 today! I'm looking forward to a little vitamin D. Happy Saturday everyone!!!
Old 02-22-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Welcome Joy! your post reminds me...when I tell people of my trials - husband dx with cancer (12 years ago - he is well), a baby who died at 30weeks pregnancy, and struggles with miscarriages, it's like - well, duh she drinks too much, but like you, the reality is that I drank very heavily before all that, too. I'm on 8 months sober and am glad you've joined us!
Old 02-22-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Thanks, ladies! How is everyone this lovely morning ? This is my 5 day sober. Thank God! Thanks for you ladies being strong and supportive.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 5 missy!

So, I took my daughter to a bd party today (3 & 4 year olds). The party started at 11am and the father was offering the parents adult beverages. WTF? He and another dad had beer and, fortunately, none of the moms had anything, but the Mom kept talking about how she was going to make margaritas later if anyone wanted to stay. Then she mentioned to me and another mom about having us over for a play date sometime and said "we can sit around and drink coffee or vodka and coffee". Do so many other moms drink like this, without having a problem? I guess you just never know the real story, but I feel like I can't get away from alcohol being the center of everything. I really need to find some other Moms/friends who don't drink. Ugh.

Home now and I am exhausted. It isn't even 5pm and I feel like I could go to bed. Hope you are all doing well today!
Old 02-22-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Lady - that's the worst for me - when I go to what I think is going to be a kid-centered event and then people pull out the booze. Most kid birthday parties I've been to have alcohol (when it's the kind of party where adults stay). I wonder how much people I know drink too. Honestly, it seems split about 30/70 where 30% seem to drink at all occasions, and 70% don't. I remember being surprised to learn that a new friend of mine (this was 6 years ago) drinks milk as her favorite bevvie - milk for lunch, milk with dinner, milk for a bedtime treat. Milk. Meanwhile, I was drinking upwards of 6 cocktails a day - probably the equiv of 10 shots - big cosmos back then, and thought THAT was normal. My sister barely drinks at all - they don't even keep beer in the house. My parents have 1 drink a day at bedtime - never drank any other time, unless we went out to eat. My brother drinks like my husband - several beers a day, and his wife drinks a lot when she drinks, but she doesn't drink all the time. Most of my friends have a drink or two every night or every other, but a few drink more than that each day, and some drink none!
Old 02-23-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Morning moms
Old 02-23-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Thanks Ladybug
Old 02-23-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Hi Moms,

Been a bit quiet here Hope everyone is doing well. Sunday morning here and just enjoying my coffee, thankful I didn't drink last night. Had kind of a hard day/night yesterday. Not sure if it was the talk of booze at the birthday party or just typical Sat cravings, but had to fight it last night and was very cranky/irritable. Went to bed early and felt bad because I think hubby wanted to spend some time alone after our daughter went to bed. Oh well, I was in one of those moods and couldn't snap out of it. Guess it was better than sneaking drinks all night and passing out drunk. Sometimes I do think getting sober has presented some challenges for me and hubby. Sat night used to be our night to have drinks together and "let loose". Now I feel like I am not fun or spontaneous anymore. Just cranky and boring I am just hoping it will all be good in the long run. I know I need to give myself more time, but it is discouraging sometimes. Anyway, enough complaining.

What does everyone have planned for today? We are taking our daughter to see that kid's movie, Frozen. She has already seen it (my mom took her when it first came out), but she has been asking to go again and really wants "Mommy and Daddy to see it"

Happy Sunday!
Old 02-23-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I understand Ladybug, and I was feeling like that yesterday. Today I plan on staying busy so I don't think.. I'm here if you want to chat.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Thanks, missy I am so sick of these mood swings. I think part of it is PMS so that isn't helping either. Are you feeling better today?
Old 02-23-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hello ladies!!! I hope everyone is well and sorry I haven't checked in lately because I've had am out if town guest in from my hometown... She ended up getting sick and I am now in the ER WITH her right ... Am so grateful that I am sober and was able to be here for here .. Day 20!!! I want to take some time today and catch up on everyone but know that I am thinking of everyone
Old 02-23-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Thanks! Yes, Ladybug I am one step at a time for me. Hope you feel better.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Hey Mummy's!! Omg I have had 4 pages of reading to do just to catch up helloooo new mummy's and NS I hope you're daughters better how are you doing Babs? Is the acupuncture working? I want to try some Chinese head massages - they're supposed to help with moods / balance too. How is everyone else?

On another subject I saw Sean T (the guy behind insanity workouts) has released T25 which is 25 minute workouts - omg I have been naggin my hubby for it - maybe it'll sort out my baby belly right?!

As for us, well we had a fab night in the hotel on Friday - popped out for a curry and just relaxed - was really nice apart from all of the scrubbing at our old place. The keys are now handed in and we've moved in with my folks - we're driving back down to London tomorrow to get our visas and then that's it - Phewey! I can't believe my hubby leaves on Friday and I am terrified that I am going to reach for the wine and undoo all of my good efforts . He's away for 4 bloooody weeks too - WTF am I going to do?!

Anyways we're just going to watch Hitchcock (with Anthony Hopkins - not will smith)

Hope everyone's ok anyways and had a great weekend xxxxx
Old 02-23-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hey Sissy - what's up with your friend? Hope you're both ok xx
Old 02-23-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Nearly 10pm here - another day done - heading to bed now and am really going to make an effort to write in my diary as of tomorrow - I miss it - I've probably skipped it for nearly a week and I feel bad as it helps me sort my thoughts out and vent

Hope everyone's coolio anyways
Old 02-23-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hi ladies! I hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Sissy- how is your friend doing? I hope she's ok.
Welcome to all the new mommies!
Sarah- I can only imagine how anxious you are about your hubby being gone for so long. I would be anxious too! Just imagine how good you'd feel if you were able to stay sober that entire time. Also, sometimes when my husband isn't home and I'm feeling the urge I chat on here or I chat on SMART recovery. It helps me.
I'm having a pretty decent weekend. Well, yesterday was great anyway. I got some good sleep, I got a lot done, and I had a great workout. Today is so so. My hubby is being kind of a stinker. Sometimes I get so irritated when he gets upset over things that he has no control over. It ruins his whole day and I have to hear about it. For example, he has been upset all day because there were too many people in line to get a haircut this morning at the barber. Now he's upset because it started raining during the NASCAR race so it's postponed. I suppose I'm also letting myself get upset over something I can't control. I might take a walk later and let both of us cool off a little.
Anyway, I wanted to share something with you all that I've found valuable. I had a counselor show me this when I was in college and it helped me immensely. I just need to practice it more today.

Dialectical Behavioral Therapy/Core Mindfulness Skills/Wise Mind/Experiencing Integration and Intuition - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

It talks about the wise mind and mindfulness. Keeping a balance between the emotional and rational mind.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

So, went to see the movie Frozen today. Very good movie! I highly recommend it, especially if you need a mood lift. Today was a good day and I felt so much better after the movie, but now am back to my cranky, moody self. My period is due this week so I'm sure some of it is related to that, but it's still annoying. Drinking some sleepytime tea and going to bed. Hope you all had a nice weekend. Night night Mommas