Notices

Class of January 2014 Part 2

Old 01-05-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to all the newcomers - and welcome back to tho coming back

I can't stress enough how much of a game changer it can be to post here before you drink - it's not going to bring the rest of us down, and you're not whining - support is what this group is all about

let us help!

D
Old 01-05-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

My jaw hurts, too! I wasn't even aware until I was sitting on the couch and actually felt physically relaxed for the first time in a week. All temporary, though. I was making soup today and caught myself turning down the burner on purpose, as I have in the past, to increase my "waiting for dinner to cook drinking hour". So many small little rituals to enable my drinking....no wonder my jaws hurt! But that one moment of physical relaxation is a sure sign of many more moments to come! Good for us!
Old 01-05-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I was drinking something two days ago (not alcoholic) and thought my jaw dislocated itself. Scared the bejeezus out of me and I began to panic. But then it seemed to pop back into position and all was OK. I am now terrified every time I have a drink (could be a good thing). I have a feeling I have been clenching my teeth more than I thought. I think that may be true for many of us here.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

It's hard to keep up with you guys.

I've got a cold. Sore throat and a heavy chest. Second day 3 ending. After the extreme tiredness set in last night I ended up reading a novel all night.

Bubbly Water and Fruit Juice, whoever mentioned it... I use coconut water, or apple juice, or cranberry, whatever. 20% juice and the rest seltzer. It helps.

I have been terrified to show at AA meetings too. Just drove right by. I guess it's easier if you live in a dense area, like where I am. That way I don't run into people I know. My advice is to find someone in the program, if you can, and ask them where you might go. I know people that drove an hour to get to better meetings in cities or 'different' styles of communities. There is a super liberal large town in MA that people like to go to.

OK, getting beat again. Talk later.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Emkay - your like my sister from another planet...my happiest times were in the kitchen with apron, wine glass, preparing meals and the beautiful solemnity of it all...subbing with something lukewarm, (like red wine) seems limited?
Old 01-05-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
Please don't despair if you have slipped, get back up and keep trying. None of us became alcoholics overnight, so it will take time to relearn how to live without the crutch that we have programmed our bodies and minds to automatically turn to in certain situations.
Well said, and bears repeating. Fall down 7 times, get up 8. It's not about being perfect (though I think perfectionism is part of what got some of us here). Just keep moving forward.

I had a really positive start to the day but I've felt shaky and off most of the rest of it. I need to do some work tonight and I'm frankly looking forward to the excuse to go lock myself in my room for a few hours. Kid bickering is killing me today!

Weekend's almost over - keep up the good work everyone.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Drinking almost seems ritual based for most of us...

Luckily it is cold out and the BBQ is taking the winter off, me and the BBQ and an ice cold beverage went well together...

I have a few months before I have to deal with that issue.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

No urge to drink tonight even though the Packers lost
Monday tomorrow and Mondays are usually non drinking nights so thats good.
Oh and I might be getting a job that starts at 8pm so that would REALLY help my nighttime craves.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by adee View Post
Kid bickering is killing me today!
I hear that... I am so looking forward to them going back to school tomorrow. They have all been sequestered due to the weather so they are getting a little crazy...

Probably doesn't help that I am on edge currently.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post
No urge to drink tonight even though the Packers lost
Monday tomorrow and Mondays are usually non drinking nights so thats good.
Oh and I might be getting a job that starts at 8pm so that would REALLY help my nighttime craves.
You guys almost blocked the field goal at the end. It looked really cold there.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Now that you all mention it, I'm clenching my jaw too...and I keep reaching for a beer that's not there..old habits die hard and all that.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ronjohn View Post
I hear that... I am so looking forward to them going back to school tomorrow. They have all been sequestered due to the weather so they are getting a little crazy...

Probably doesn't help that I am on edge currently.
Yes! I heart school. I think even they are ready to go back - you can only fight so much with your siblings.

Of course, they are probably ready for me to go back to work, too. Like you - I haven't been at my nicest.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IreLander View Post
Now that you all mention it, I'm clenching my jaw too...and I keep reaching for a beer that's not there..old habits die hard and all that.
I have not had with that problem yet... Of course I am not sitting in "my chair" anymore...

You might have to plan a change of scenery Ire. Switch up how you watch TV or something. You could lay down, that would making reaching for a beer a little difficult.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

Changing of routine is pretty important I think - change the room around, change your chair, change what you do in your spare time...mix it up

D
Old 01-05-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome to all the newcomers - and welcome back to tho coming back

I can't stress enough how much of a game changer it can be to post here before you drink - it's not going to bring the rest of us down, and you're not whining - support is what this group is all about

let us help!

D
Thank you for this reminder, Dee!
Old 01-05-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Ronjohn - that's a good idea man, i have a sofa and loveseat in my livingroom. I usually sit in the loveseat, but I hardly ever sit on the sofa. Ill give it a go and see how that works.

Dee - good idea, i was thinking about totally rearranging my bedroom earlier today and thought nah I'm overreacting. Ill take that advice and run with it....actually, gonna do that right now.

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IreLander View Post
Ronjohn - that's a good idea man, i have a sofa and loveseat in my livingroom. I usually sit in the loveseat, but I hardly ever sit on the sofa. Ill give it a go and see how that works.

Dee - good idea, i was thinking about totally rearranging my bedroom earlier today and thought nah I'm overreacting. Ill take that advice and run with it....actually, gonna do that right now.

Thanks!
We won't make fun of you for overreacting... It can be our little secret that we won't tell the rest of the world.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Morning all - beginning of day 9 for me.

I was so exhausted last night that I fell asleep at 7:30 - slept pretty well (not great) until 4:30ish. A few more days of sleep and I will hopefully be back to "normal".

Am going to take my Ativan today before work (I haven't been taking it) to see if that helps with the sweating incidents during the day, in case they are anxiety related. Lots of meetings today and I can't afford to be dripping sweat when meeting with our CEO.

I have to be vigilant the next few days - days 10-12 are my notorious fall days. I am determined though to stay sober this time.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Have had some urges today and bit worried about tonight, already been offered alcohol and it's only 1.40pm!!! Worried tonight some people might come over and I'll drink...it's a big temptation for me
Old 01-05-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Good job on 9 days Lulu and good luck with your meetings!
Hopefully the waterworks will subside for you soon!!! :-)