Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 3

Old 10-25-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Okay, so my son and his girlfriend have Homecoming next weekend and his girlfriend's parents have invited us over for drinks while taking pictures. I have never met them. This will be my first time invited over to someone's house for drinks and requesting a non-alcoholic drink, ever. I feel very strange about this. I am going to need your support, Tobers. I tried the L-glutamine, Bilr, and my craving did pass but I am not sure if that is due to the supplement or just the fact that cravings do pass.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Thanks for the well wishes I made it and then got consumed with helping DD work on her Halloween costume! I will be taking a nice hot bath tonight! And my nightly thing lately is a nice cup of night time tea before bed.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Administrator

stay close to SR firststeps - you can do this - the weekend is really no different to any other two days - it's just the value we add to the weekend.

Glad you saw someone about your anxiety Grind

I'm proud of you Pushkin

congrats on day 27 DD, and you on day 12 counting days. I'm sorry to read about your mom.

welcome brian and WhoDey

for those struggling, I found urge surfing really helped me:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

have a great, sober, weekend guys

D
Old 10-25-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

DD, good luck with the homecoming next weekend. At least they are strangers so it won't seem weird if you don't drink. Any excuse at all will do with them.

I will be faced with a challenge tomorrow as we are having a Halloween party at our house tomorrow night. I'm not worried about caving as I've come too far now. It is mostly people that work with my wife so there will be zero pressure from them. It will be interesting to try and pick out the people who seem to enjoy drinking too much. Based on other parties I've been to, they like to get their drink on. My wife is pretty much one or two and done as far as drinking goes, and that's maybe a few times a year.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Checking in on Day 34. I have to say that it's harder keeping track of the days now...I think that's a good sign.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Day 21 for me! I am in complete shock. I can't believe I have done this. This is the longest in 5 months, my prior track record was 28 days in rehab back in April. I celebrated today by using what would be my "drinking money" on books on alcoholism on Amazon. It gives me something to look forward to. I am so happy to have found this site and you guys. My withdrawals from my last "drunk" were the worst ever. I am so happy to have a clear mind, not reek of alcohol, be able to sleep, hold conversations and remember them, and best of all...clean my house!

Thanks,
Jazz
Old 10-25-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Well done Jazz! It is wonderful to remember what you say, feel good, sleep and take care of yourself and your environment better. These are benefits I appreciate each and every day sober also--and isn't great to know that you never have to withdraw and feel that horrible again?
Old 10-25-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Hey tobers,

Hope everyone is good.

Lots of powerful discussion the past 24 hours.

I gotta jump for a couple days (all is good; no drinking). Looking forward to catching up with everyone soon.

Stay strong everybody!
Old 10-25-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

@ Hawkeye13. You bet it is!

Having a clear mind is priceless.....now on to finding serenity (lol)
Old 10-25-2013, 09:12 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Sober for 6 days... check. Hot bath... check. Hot bedtime tea... check.
Now if I could just get a good nights sleep! I'll see you all for another wonderful sober day tomorrow! Night.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Another sober day in the books. I felt great when I woke up this morning. I was wondering if there was any reason, and then it hit me--I wasn't hungover! What a difference. No headache, fatigue, nausea, etc. Best part is that I can keep feeling this way if I stay sober.

I got through today with no problem, but Friday was never a big day for me to drink. I usually can't stay awake after 10 pm at the end of the week. Tomorrow will be more difficult. I was going to have two events where I'd be around alcohol, but I've decided to skip one of them. I think going to just one is enough for me at this point. I'll be watching my friend's band play at a bar. A couple of the people I'm going with know that I've quit. The other person doesn't know yet, but she hardly ever drinks and never pressures other people to drink. I'm committed to staying sober tomorrow. Sure, I might be checking in here from the bathroom at the bar, but whatever. I have to do whatever it takes.

Til tomorrow...
Old 10-26-2013, 02:03 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Day 5 has begun for me. I am happy to say this because its the longest I have ever gone. I don't crave morning drinks anymore because I'm not hungover/ dealing with withdraw shakes. I went to bed really early last night, I have been doing this all week. I can't seem to keep awake past 8pm! I'm thankful for this sleep because lack of sleep was how I started the habit of drinking every night. Seems like i should be feeling more positive about all this, but for some reason im still feeling pissy....I feel like I'm getting sick with sinuses throat stuff so maybe that has something to do with it
Old 10-26-2013, 02:27 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go firststeps

D
Old 10-26-2013, 04:02 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Today marks my seventh day sober so 1 week down. I'm actually feeling quite a bit better now I'm actually up and doing it.

Moving house today, I expect to be without Internet for a wee while so I will have to use my phone.

Have a good one all
Old 10-26-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Hey I just did some thinking/soul searching and I realized why I'm pissed. It's a little embarrassing but DUH! My AV is a spoiled brat used to manipulating and ALWAYS getting its way and that voice is pretty loud. But I found a motivator for me too. The other side of me is feeling a little competitive now and is not wanting to start back to a day 1 again. Told myself there is nothing going on this weekend, no special occasion that should make it hard. I have my husband and 16 yr old son here this weekend, and he had 2 friends come over, go to youth group, come back here have a bon fire out back and my husband who is a great guy hung out and played games with them while i went to bed. Tonight we are going to a birthday party for a 6 year old...wow if ever there was a weekend for NOT drinking this is it. Thank you Lord! who ever said you should drink every weekend?
Old 10-26-2013, 05:05 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Made it to lucky 13! Really close call last night (read Teetering on edge of sobriety thread if your interested). In fact, I'm still a bit shocked that I didn't drink last night. It was literally one minute at a time for a couple hours! The important thing is that I made it through without a drink and learned from it thanks to divine intervention and the people on this site. Have a wonderful sober Saturday all.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by countingdays View Post
Made it to lucky 13! Really close call last night (read Teetering on edge of sobriety thread if your interested). In fact, I'm still a bit shocked that I didn't drink last night. It was literally one minute at a time for a couple hours! The important thing is that I made it through without a drink and learned from it thanks to divine intervention and the people on this site. Have a wonderful sober Saturday all.
That's wonderful. So happy for you!
Old 10-26-2013, 05:11 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LittleSparrow View Post
Another sober day in the books. I felt great when I woke up this morning. I was wondering if there was any reason, and then it hit me--I wasn't hungover! What a difference. No headache, fatigue, nausea, etc. Best part is that I can keep feeling this way if I stay sober.

I got through today with no problem, but Friday was never a big day for me to drink. I usually can't stay awake after 10 pm at the end of the week. Tomorrow will be more difficult. I was going to have two events where I'd be around alcohol, but I've decided to skip one of them. I think going to just one is enough for me at this point. I'll be watching my friend's band play at a bar. A couple of the people I'm going with know that I've quit. The other person doesn't know yet, but she hardly ever drinks and never pressures other people to drink. I'm committed to staying sober tomorrow. Sure, I might be checking in here from the bathroom at the bar, but whatever. I have to do whatever it takes.

Til tomorrow...
Doing whatever it takes to not drink is the key. Good for you!
Old 10-26-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Citrus View Post
Sober for 6 days... check. Hot bath... check. Hot bedtime tea... check.
Now if I could just get a good nights sleep! I'll see you all for another wonderful sober day tomorrow! Night.
Racking them up Citrus! Consecutive days feel good!

And for those struggling and or lurking, you too can do this. A minute at a time. SR is open all weekend!

Keep working at it. The only people who don't get sober are those who stop trying.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

My sincere condolences Pushkin. Welcome WhoDey. The entries sure do build up quick here with the "Tober Orange" Class. I can't help to think that life itself brings so many sufferings without pouring the booze on top of it. I would like to add life also brings many blessings. I'm sure there are many, many people out there, that don't recognize they have a problem with alcohol or refuse to acknowledge that they do. Just the fact that you and I do is a Blessing. The word "Hope" lies in that very recognition for all of us. I too did not drink last night on a many Friday that I usually do. I am reminded by what WhoDey and many of you have said; and now believe I would drink a lot for effect. If a bottle of wine or a couple beers would not give me the feeling, I would always change my environment and switch to bourbon, a whiskey or scotch. In any scenario, It was always about what the booze could do for me. At the end of the drunk, hangover the only thing it ever did was give me anxiety, embarrassment and regrets. Broke at the end of the night, broken promises and nothing but trouble. No wonder the "Poison" is so dang depressing. Today we can pick our heads up and be proud that we are Sober. Way to go amigos and amigas! Keep doing what your doing to Stay Sober. Have A Great Weekend.