Notices

Class of January 2013 pt 6

Old 03-14-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Hey everyone. Day 56 here - few more and I'll be at 60. That's a nice round number.

Had my 2nd addiction group session last night. Everyone was in a funny mood last night, there were a lot of laughs and I really enjoyed it. So far, so good, and I'm looking forward to going next week. Still struggling a bit with the crush, and after a couple of days of letting myself smoke cigs, having a little trouble getting back on that horse. But no booze and that's the priority right now. I was mentioning the group sessions to a friend at work, she was kind of like "I don't know why they are making you go, just because you got a DUI doesn't mean you're an alcoholic..." I was just like mmhmm, of course AV was like ' she's right!!' But, I know she's not, and so onward I go.

Thanks, Alison
Old 03-14-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

HI class of Jan,

Have been up the walls for a couple of days. my Daughters Birthday was yesterday. she turned 13 ( A teenager at last!!) so you can guess the hectic day and my feelings were all over the place. No I Did Not PICK UP ,,,,,Thank God

My Wife and I Sang Happy Birthday to her in the morning as she woke up and I felt so proud to be there at that moment and in the moment. But My mind was all over the place with emotions and feelings.

I am currently reading like a man possessed at the moment, mostly to do with recovery and this is a quote from one of my books regarding feelings. It is entitled Screw Feelings

''Basically, in the first few months of recovery we don’t know our heads from our asses. We tend to think we’re fine, since we’re no longer using, but our moods show us where our minds really are. We tend to yo-yo between extremes, like characters from a Winnie the Pooh book. One minute we’re gloomy like Eeyore, and the next minute we’re like Tigger, full of energy and bouncing off the walls.
We definitely tend to wear our feelings on our sleeves, finding it impossible to hide when we are mad, sad, or glad. But a feeling, any feeling, is an emotion, nothing more and nothing less. Emotions live in our heads, not in the real world. Today might feel like a Friday to me, but if my calendar says Tuesday, then that’s the reality. What it feels like to me is irrelevant. The fact that I feel something doesn't make it real.''

So this is were I am at ****** screw feelings ...they will not kill me****

love and Hugs to All
Old 03-14-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Macc66 View Post
HI class of Jan,

Have been up the walls for a couple of days. my Daughters Birthday was yesterday. she turned 13 ( A teenager at last!!) so you can guess the hectic day and my feelings were all over the place. No I Did Not PICK UP ,,,,,Thank God

My Wife and I Sang Happy Birthday to her in the morning as she woke up and I felt so proud to be there at that moment and in the moment. But My mind was all over the place with emotions and feelings.

I am currently reading like a man possessed at the moment, mostly to do with recovery and this is a quote from one of my books regarding feelings. It is entitled Screw Feelings

''Basically, in the first few months of recovery we don’t know our heads from our asses. We tend to think we’re fine, since we’re no longer using, but our moods show us where our minds really are. We tend to yo-yo between extremes, like characters from a Winnie the Pooh book. One minute we’re gloomy like Eeyore, and the next minute we’re like Tigger, full of energy and bouncing off the walls.
We definitely tend to wear our feelings on our sleeves, finding it impossible to hide when we are mad, sad, or glad. But a feeling, any feeling, is an emotion, nothing more and nothing less. Emotions live in our heads, not in the real world. Today might feel like a Friday to me, but if my calendar says Tuesday, then that’s the reality. What it feels like to me is irrelevant. The fact that I feel something doesn't make it real.''

So this is were I am at ****** screw feelings ...they will not kill me****

love and Hugs to All
Macc, I love this! I am definitely guilty of thinking "well I feel THIS way and so I must act on it..." I am trying to learn to just let me feelings BE and not feel the compulsion to act on them or alter them in any way. Love this post - thank you!!
Old 03-14-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

60 days today

Feels good, and I don't have any desire to pick up a beer can. I just wish I'd get a burst of energy. I have found, however, that once I overcome the initial inertia required to get my old butt moving then I start to enjoy chores and end up doing more than I set out to do. It's the initial inertia to overcome that's the problem, i.e., easier to sit around and think about how hard it will be to take the battery out of my pickup that won't start than to go out in the driveway and do it. Or, maybe I'm just lazy, lol. Anyway, some get up and go would be nice.

Best to all,
W
Old 03-14-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Like2Hike View Post

Is anyone else having periods of low energy and drowsiness? I'm at 65 days and dragging around which isn't normal for me. I'm still exercising a lot, eating proper, sleeping soundly, not taking any meds but could easily fall asleep at anytime. In fact, I'm at risk of falling asleep at anytime time I'm sitting still! It's embarrassing sometimes when I nod off.
Hi all,

It's my first time posting here. I've been reading past posts and its great to find people who are on the same timeline. Lots of great advice and lots of similar experiences with my new sobriety.

I too have been ridiculously tired lately. I'm coming up on 60 days tomorrow and am confused with my lack if energy and increase in procrastination. Of course I assumed I'd have more energy once I stopped drinking. Logically I know my body is using all its energy to focus on healing but my alcoholic brain wants everything now! Even positives like energy and focus. Lol, go figure.

Thanks for listening always cathartic to put thoughts down on "paper".

I look forward to joining you all on this journey.

J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image-1352497029.jpg (29.1 KB, 62 views)
Old 03-14-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Welcome Juzdarwin, United we stand my friend and we are here for you...The Class of Jan 2013, welcome onboard.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Good thurs morning class,
I had no idea today was thurs until I woke up to hubby grabbing both sets of car keys and making the mad dash out the door to move the cars before the street sweeper and parking tickets. Hubby to the rescue!!
Didn't sleep well last night but it's because I need to cut out the crazy amount of caffeinated coffee and tea that I now drink during the day and into evening. Some of the blame belongs to the the king of the castle though (my dog). He must've been having dreams of chasing squirrels because he was making all kinds of noises. Anyway, it's foggy here, which I really don't enjoy. We get "June gloom" every year here, where the beginning of summer is always foggy at the beach, no matter how hot it is inland, but "June gloom" seems to be expanding to spring. I didn't get the memo on this matter and it's SO not ok with me. Hopefully it'll burn off because it definitely affects my motivation to be active.

Shapeup, I now find myself looking at others that drink and wondering if they have a drinking problem like me. I agree that I need to just focus on me. Thanks for your post.

Reeny, hope you are feeling better!

Lisamum, I feel for you dealing with so much chicken pox. My boys never had it, but my brother and I did as kids. No fun. Glad the depression is better at least!

Alison, great job recognizing the AV!!

Macc, wishing you easy teenage years with your daughter. I have 2 boys, 17 & 15, plus a stepson 17, and stepdaughter 15. It has been crazy at times, but rewarding at others. I really don't get the girl of the group even though I am one, but I love her! Your book sounds interesting. Maybe I'll look it up.

Woodhead, congrats on 60 days!!! Fantastic!!! We're accomplishing so much changing our lives and our selves that I think it's ok to feel a bit lazy sometimes.

Welcome aboard Juzdarwin! Look forward to hearing more from you!

Have a good day everyone!
Old 03-14-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Good morning class.

Welcome Jodie and congrats on 57 days.
Siesta: I can relate on drinking too much coffee and still like most everyone in the class my energy is way too low.
Congrats to Woodhead on 60 days. Allison on 56 and Shapeup on 67 and to everyone for Today!!!
I am very sensitive too to the smell of alcohol Shapeup and I find it really gross.
Mac, thank you so much for that writing about feelings. I have trouble sometimes identifying how I feel. At my home group. we check in by writing our first name and how we are feeling that day...very often I pause. My first instinct would be to write tired, lazy, productive, in a cleaning mood etc...it takes me a minute to find out how I truly feel inside.
Anyway, I wish everyone a good and sober day.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

I hear you, Carlotta. There are a few days when I'm in a genuinely good mood, but there have been many when I'm tense and burdened. Not for any external reason--just from my internal mechanics. I used to live in a vegetative state, hidden from all cares. You'd think I would have been neutral; however, my husband says no. In the moments I wasn't drunk I was scheming, manipulating, twisting screws, and throwing fits in an effort to become drunk. My husband says I seem better than he's seen me in years--that with all the pensive, overburdened moods. I'm reasonably content without a drink now, but nobody would ever accuse me of being "chipper."
Old 03-15-2013, 02:26 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Good morning my amazing January class

Lots of inspirational posts for me to catch up on today work is getting really busy the next few weeks be manic oh well maybe still tired but least no hungover brain fog.

Juzdarwin welcome to the group glad you joined us.

Gilmer I am a long way from chipper too and I am with you on used to be either drunk or thinking of ways of getting drunk

Love to everyone hope you all have a good day.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:31 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

HI class of Jan,

Great quote, Macc66 - thank you. I'm reading Buzz Aldrin's autobiography and loving it. Haven't got up to his addiction story yet and almost don't want to...

Have a great sober weekend, everyone!
Old 03-15-2013, 02:32 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Yeh, woodhead! Way to go!
Old 03-15-2013, 02:34 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Welcome Juzdarwin, United we stand my friend and we are here for you...The Class of Jan 2013, welcome onboard.
And welcome from me, Juzdarwin. Great to have you with us!
Old 03-15-2013, 02:35 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

What a thoughtful post, Siesta - thank you!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:24 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Not my real name.

Night time here, heading off to bed now, sipping my tea all night tonight.

Today is day 14, so have completed 2 whole weeks without a drink. Woohoo. Keeping the streak alive.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations James

D
Old 03-15-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Good Morning all. Today is a Good Day! I have been sober 60 Days. It's hard to believe. When I think back to January 15th I shudder and smile. I shudder from the realization of where I was and where I was headed. My drinking had become physical. I could no longer function ( or in retrospect) not function without it. I was drinking in the morning. Something I never thought I would do.

People often ask me "what happened that day to make you ask for help". For this I have no answer. Nothing "happened". After drinking in the morning I fell back asleep woke up around 1 pm and it just came to me. "My life has become unmanageable. And I can't stop".

I got up and decided that was it! I dumped the remains of any booze left and decided to throw out all the bottles I had hidden throughout my bathroom and office. Every time I thought..."okay this has got to be all of it, " I'd find another bottle and another and another. I was sickened by the overwhelming amount. I had no idea. I decided to take a picture of the wreckage so I would never forget how bad it had become.

3 weeks into my sobriety I woke up in the middle of the night with severe pain on my upper left side by my stomach. I called an ambulance. I was rushed to a local hospital where they did a cat scan of the area. 10 Minutes later I was being rushed to a major Boston hospital.

An ulcer I had been diagnosed with 2 years earlier, and ignored, had perforated. In layman's terms I had a hole in my stomach and was becoming septic. I had emergency surgery to repair the whole. I spent 4 days in ICU and a total of 13 in the hospital. When I woke up from surgery I was horrified to discover 4 IVs in my arms a Central line through my neck, a tube down my nose and throat, an epidural in my back, oxygen in my nose and 4 drains in my stomach. Needless to say I was hours from death when I had arrived at the hospital.

My first reaction to this was"really! I get sober and then this happens!!" I was angry. Then I thought about it... If I had still been drinking I most likely would not have woken up that night and in turn not made it to the hospital and in turn...well u can figure that one out.

I am so grateful today. Grateful to have a second chance. Grateful for the little things. Trust me I am in no way under the assumption that the road ahead is not filled with trials and tribulations. But today, just today I am happy and sober and alive!

If you made it this far thank you for letting me tell my story. It feels good to get it down on "paper" so to speak.

I wish everyone a peaceful day and the possibility of another sober day.

-Jodi

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image-1854064642.jpg (47.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 03-15-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by juzdarwin View Post
If you made it this far thank you for letting me tell my story. It feels good to get it down on "paper" so to speak.
Jodi,
Congrats on 60 days, and thanks for sharing your story. Your story provides even more impetus for my sobriety - for that I am thankful to you. I am glad you chose to quit drinking and are still with us.
Best,
W
Old 03-15-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Grateful you're here, Jodi! I just passed my 60 days. too.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 weeks James!!