we continue from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-14-a-21.html

D
Old 12-10-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shot gun!
Old 12-10-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow, I didn't expect to make that one :-)
Old 12-10-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

HRB: I'm with you, caffeine is a vitamin for me...Ha! Ha! I have been attempting to cut it down a few hours before bedtime. Whatever your avatar becomes, just know your posts are very helpful to me, and everyone else here too...Take care

Lee: zing, I love it. Glad you are getting much accomplished before the holidays, so you can spend time with the family
Bloss
Old 12-10-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Aww, man... I'm always a little too late... congrats on shotgun Sas!
Old 12-10-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh, thats why it said thread closed...500 posts, gee you'd think after 7 months or so I'd get it...slow learner, I'll keep trying.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're not slow, Bloss! I just figured it out myself this time! I made shotgun once before by pure chance, as was this one <grin>

Rock, I love your new avatar! If I had known you were close behind, I would have left this one for you. 'Smatter of fact, you are most welcome to ride shotgun in my place! :-)
Old 12-10-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Shot gun!
Ummm, yeah. About that shotgun declaration, Sas? Well, apparently, our sober wagon was under warranty for only 14 thread parts or Dweller’s return, whichever came first, so….

elephantpushesjeep.jpg

The good news is that we’ll get a loaner from the local Lease-A-Heap while our wagon is in the shop. The driver should be here any minute now to drop it off.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Wow. Roomy and plenty of fresh air! Bubba asked if you wouldn’t mind driving him and his prized steer back to the shop before taking off. Getting dark, so you'd best get a moo-ve on. Happy motoring!

cattle-car.JPG
Old 12-10-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow, thanks FP! I'll be happy to drive Bubba and his prize steer back to the shop
Old 12-10-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hmm, that thar looks like a sweet l'il ole heap, FP! Impeccable taste as usual, including those lovely-looking seat covers!
Old 12-10-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Aargh......like clockwork. Night anxiety. It honestly feels like someone is sitting on my chest.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that, Jeni! Hang in there! (((hugs)))
Old 12-10-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you can get some rest Jeni

D
Old 12-10-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just logging on and re-reading posts helps.
Why does this keep happening to me?
I feel so sick.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Jeni, it takes time! Also, anxiety sounds like it could be a factor.

Xxx
Old 12-10-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I feel so afraid. I can't breathe
Old 12-10-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Jeni:
You may have already tried this, but counting breaths...like one, two, three, four on the inhale and same on exhale and focus on the breath, might help. I do this for 5 or 10 minutes, sort of slows down the thoughts.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Jeni what about downloading a guided imagery recording? I like one online called the secret garden. You just have to sign up with an email. You can hook up ear buds to your phone and listen to it.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

OLL, the notion of "risk ladder" is brilliant! I shall try to follow that...which of course means knowing and acknowledging where my limits are. That seems to have been a very big issue for me in staying sober. So far, so good.

Oh my, I love the pictures. LOL.

Dearest Jeni, my heart goes out to you. I wonder if you have become so accustomed to nighttime anxiety that now it's a sort of unconscious habit? I have a few tools that I use for anxiety: one is the breathing that Bloss mentioned above. Doing controlled breathing (counting inhales and exhaling slowly through pursed lips) does wonders for slowing down the heartrate. Also try a guided meditation. I suspect that you can google "guided meditation" and find a plethora of online resources. I personally have a couple of CDs. They help force me to slow down when otherwise I can't. I also find reading very soothing. Especially in the middle of the night when I can't get back to sleep. I go into the extra bedroom and curl up in the bed with a book and usually fall back to sleep pretty easily. Maybe I'm weird that way.

For insomnia, I do the same breathing technique. Also, legs-up-the-wall pose is something a yoga teacher told me years ago. Lie on your back with your butt up against the wall and your legs straight up the wall. Just lie there, eyes closed, and breathe for a few minutes. It's very relaxing. I also take melatonin, GABA (an amino acid that is deficient in those of us with anxiety, addiction and sleep issues, it our bodies' relax response creator) and sometimes herbs such as valerian, skullcap, or passionflower, all of which can stimulate relaxation. I also like a cup of chamomile tea before bed.

I know we aren't supposed to give medical advice, so take my suggestions as just suggestions from a stressed-out, panic-prone lawyer who has no medical training whatsoever.

I am stressed today because I found out for sure that my contract hasn't yet been funded. BUT, I spent the afternoon with my husband and watched a movie (Will Farrell's movie, The Campaign) and talked to him about my stress. We realized we'll be ok for a while. And the funding will come through, it usually does. If it doesn't, if all else fails, I can take private (divorce) clients again, in spite of how much I hate it. And I can wait tables. It will all be ok. And I am feeling ok right now.

Sorry for the long post. Jeni, hugs to you I hope you can get some sleep.