Notices

Class of May 2012 part 15

Old 12-12-2012, 11:18 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Morning Mayans

What an interesting date...sometimes I get lost in the week. My cats always let me know their needs, wish my spouse would articulate half as clearly. I don't like to guess what a person is feeling. So, that's one of the things I'm trying to address in sobriety. Blossom is alright, hanging in there...lots of vet appointments.

HRB: It is nice we get to celebrate a one time event in our lives, together and
Sober...What a nice thought you shared.

Saskia: What a super nights sleep! The sleep study you described and the results sound very interesting.

Emily: Yes, cats can be unsubtle, the claw! Your 5 months is nearly here, congratulations! Enjoy your meeting with your sponsor on Friday and the prospect on curry.

Jeni: I hope the inspection goes smoothly. You will be great in all of the areas you are responsible. Keep us updated when you have time.

Tanja: I like reading your comments about how you are working through your issues and maintaining your sobriety. Driving to meetings, sharing in meetings when you feel comfortable, plus sharing here, helpful for me to follow and learn from your sober journey.

Lilac: I found it inspiring to read how you worked through your feelings of uncertainty regarding funding and came to a form acceptance and a plan to continue on in a stable sober way.

OLL: I would have reacted to the wine, probably seeing it on more my doorstep would have thrown me a curve. It is helpful to read how you handled the situation and everyone else's advice. Good to put all these comments in my own sobriety toolbox for the future. Take care today

FP: Hope your day is going well. I would have had a difficult time pouring out the wine, probably I would have either given it away quickly or tossed it in the garbage, unopened. That's just me though, right now I still have fear surrounding alcohol. And my reaction to it.

Onward Wednesday, take care all of you lovely Mayans
Bloss
Old 12-12-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Good Afternoon All,

Jeni - I have a feeling all three interviews with go great! Wow - three roles in the school, Teacher, Head of Lower School and Head of English. That is hugely impressive. Is the inspection internal or external? At any rate, you will excel my friend in all three

Em - I loved your post to me! Most of the time, I don't think I have anything to say! I get a lot out of listening. Also, you do have to be quick to share because other people can really talk a lot. I agree 100% that recovery starts with another alcoholic talking to another. Right on! I have to be candid - I think the support I have gotten from my fellow Mayans has been greater than the support I have received from other AAers. When I was ill, you were all there for me and AA was not. I had also reached out to another member and called her last friday. I have yet to hear from her. I have called several AAers and they simply just don't call me back. So, this web site and the support I have received has helped me enormously!

Sas - I am so happy you got a good nights sleep! I don't know how you functioned with 3 hours of sleep a night. I had another sleepless night where I got up at 3:45 a.m. I did manage to take a rather lengthy nap. I did not get on the treadmill which is my usual routine. Sometimes, not exercising makes me more tired and sleep better. Thank you for asking about my driving. I did manage to drive one of the pups to the vet on Tuesday and get his stitches removed. I was feeling tired and popped some chocolate down to wake up and take him in. Not the most healthy thing to do - but, sugar really does give me a rush and I wanted so desperately to drive.

HRB - What a wonderful sentiment on 12-12-12. It is wonderful to have sober celebrations! I am so happy to hear that your job is a major reason to stay sober and keep you sane. There are way too many people out there that hate their jobs. I also wanted to let you know that I will never forget the kindness and support that you gave me during my illness. I cannot tell you what that meant to me. It was such a blessing to me in a time of suffering

Bloss - I am so happy if I can provide anything that helps! I feel exactly the same way about alcohol. I also have fear surrounding it and my reaction to it. I think it is perfectly understandable in our situation. We know where alcohol can take us, we haven't forget it, we aren't complacent and we are still very early in recovery. Fear doesn't feel good, but in this situation I think it is a healthy fear!

Hope everyone has a great wedenesay!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Wednesday Afternoon Update

We took Blossom for another check up today, her eye is stable and she will continue with her anti-inflammatory eye drops. But, we don't have to continue her anti-bacterial eye drops and she finished her oral antibiotics and her oral anti inflammatory medicines. The vet. says as long as the eye pressure stays equal in both eyes, and the inflammation stays stable we can just watch and use eyedrops. But, if the pressure changes or extra redness, then surgery. So, heres hoping she remains stable. She seems to feel ok, except, does not like the eye drops. Thanks for asking about her. We both appreciate you guys!

Tanja: I agree with you 100%, I have gained so much in sobriety since joining SR.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
FP...Returning that lovely rental vehicle?
Ok, Sas. I'm sensing some dissatisfaction with the sober wagon loaner. A bit too fragrant from the gift of bovine fertilizer, perhaps? I'm tossing you the keys to the DPP pink Lambo with, of course, solid gold tusks on the grille. Enjoy!

DPP-pink-lambo.jpg
Old 12-12-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Good Wednesday evening, my lovely May mates! Day 214 for this Polar Pach. Colder this evening, brrrrr. Had a great horn session with my awesome duet partner. He’s challenging me to refine my technique – love it!

Been busy with longer work hours and see-sawing on winter depression again, so I apologize for not following up on everyone’s posts lately. I do wish everyone well in sobriety, and big Mammoth hugs to all who are struggling. I am looking forward to catching up with proper shout-outs to all of my lovely boaters as soon as I can this week. Love and hugs to all.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrenchPink View Post
Ok, Sas. I'm sensing some dissatisfaction with the sober wagon loaner. A bit too fragrant from the gift of bovine fertilizer, perhaps? I'm tossing you the keys to the DPP pink Lambo with, of course, solid gold tusks on the grille. Enjoy!

Attachment 17711
Wow, Mammoth! This Mayan wagon is awesome, or "brilliant" as Teacher Jeni would say!!! Hopefully i won't have to hold my nose in this one <grin>! Love those gold tusks --you really went all out on this one!

I suspect the color is in hopes that you will ride shotgun next time
Old 12-12-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Ps I highly recommend gym and a trainer like mine (no pain, no gain!) to chase away those winter blues. Also happy to hear you are playing again!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Bloss, happy to hear Blossom doesn't need as many treatments! I will keep my fingers crossed that she won't need surgery. Our furry babies are so much a part of the family. Mine keeps up my spirits when I'm having a hard time.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

3 a.m and I'm awake.... Yesterday's grilling by inspectors went well I think. Today they're coming in to observe lessons. I'm really worried. Internal lesson observations have always gone well for me, but the nature of my kids mean they're unpredictable. This could go badly due to circumstances beyond my control. These are government inspectors so they know nothing of the kids backgrounds or difficulties. Will be so pleased when today is over.
My heart is thumping.
I'm having to be so strong for everyone else at work and all the staff are flat out. Thank god this only happens every 3 years.
This is so stressful.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best of luck Jeni.
you worrying won't change anything, yeah?

all any of us can do is our best

D
Old 12-12-2012, 09:51 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.

Deep breaths...
I might be stressed beyond belief but at least I'm not hungover! This sort of situation would have resorted to me hitting the bottle 7 months ago without a doubt. I'm wary of the fact that when its all over I may want a drink as a reward or to commiserate all depending how it goes. I'm prepared for that. But it's that little thought nagging at me at the moment....
Old 12-12-2012, 09:54 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not worried

You know more than enough now to treat any such thoughts with the contempt they deserve Jeni

best wishes today

D
Old 12-13-2012, 02:21 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Good luck today Jeni.
Bloss, glad to hear blossom is doing better.
FP, sending you a big hug partner!
Tanja, wishing you sweet dreams.
Sas, Your gonna look awesome riding shotgun in that car. Now we're riding in style.
Off to bed now. Another long day tomorrow.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:05 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Jeni, you'll do beautifully, I'm sure. Even if you are tempted to drink, you are one incredibly strong woman and I think Dee's way of putting it is outstanding - you will give those thoughts the contempt they deserve! (((hugs)))

Rock,, thanks ... I love that car! I'd like to make off with it and impress my neighbors but I don't think our fellow Mayans would like that

Tanja, popping that chocolate sounds like a reasonable thing to do! I also have to watch sugar but a little treat now and then is good for the soul. Great that you drove to the vet!

Bloss, thanks for your post yesterday to our fellow boaters!

AFM: happily plugging along :-). Work, working out at the gym and snuggling with my little fur ball in this cold weather.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:24 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Jeni - I am so sorry to hear that you were up at 3:00 a.m. It is not suprising that you would have thoughts of drinking because of lack of sleep and stress. But, like Dee said treat it with contempt and better yet as the lie you know it is. Remember, "I don't ever have to feel like that again". I was re-reading my journal entries and it was the same thing over and over again to the point of being ridiculous. Caving in each time due to lack of sleep, expecting things to be different and experiencing such agony each time I drank. I would definitely reward yourself (warm bath, good book, chocolate, massage, new outfit, etc.) for going through this stressful time.

Sas - So glad to hear that you are feeling happy and contented. Unfortunately, most of the time it isn't a little bit of sugar One thing at a time! Snuggling with a little furball on a cold night is the best!

I was not up to driving last night, but my husband actually made it home at a reasonable hour. Fortunately he drove me to a meeting. Tonight is my service position. I am definitely planning on driving.

Hope everyone has a good day!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Jeni just the fact that you are aware ahead of time that this may trigger you to drink and you posted that here shows, a.) you're aware and can be prepared before it strikes, and b.) you don't actually want to drink because you're remaining accountable. You are worlds away from where you were 7 months ago and I have faith in you and your strength. Stay close.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Thursday
Up early today, cycles of sleep. Sobriety is such a gift, despite my struggle to sleep.

Tanja: reading over your journal entries and seeing the patterns of the drinking sounds helpful. I found some old memoirs of mine and cringed at what I read. It was so hurtful, the way I drank. I pray none of us has to drink again, no matter what.

Saskia: Snuggling with our fur babies is the best! My cat, Blackwell is with me, so my typing may be off.

HRB: Hello and have good day....take care

Jeni: You're doing so well! When the day is through it will be so nice, and you won't have drank alcohol to cope.

FP: big hugs back, this time of year...I really want a hug and someone to tell me , everything is alright.

OLL: Take care today.

Just for today, I'll be ok with who I am at this moment in time
Bloss
Old 12-13-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

well, day 144/4. nice to see that there is something good that involves the word gross i've been having a quiet day, doing a little reading, a little dvd watching and a little cooking.
the pain in my leg was a little better this morning than it has been for a few mornings. i hesitate to say it's going to be a one way ride from here on, if only because that's exactly the sort of thing that you say just before it takes a turn for the worse.
i really need to get a piece of writing done, or accept that i'm not going to, shrug, and walk away from it. part of the reason why i'm wary of doing so, is that it's a little too uncomfortable at the moment, and i don't have to do it. basically, it explains why (one of) my character(s) has changed so much between one session and the next. the problem is that it opens up too much of a can of worms for me. [if i thought some of my previous characters had... issues, poor ophelia has worse ones. can't think why that might be ]
but yes, she's going to have got her stuff sorted out for the next session [which is on saturday] so who cares, right? i have the outline sorted, and that's all that matters.

saskia - i remember a few years ago, apart from having dreams where i'd lie awake for hours - and yes they were dreams because things were in the wrong place] i'd wake up for just long enough to look at the clock, or else say to myself, "just another fi..."
and yes, that gadget sounds really useful.

hitrockbottom - hoping that today has been either happy, productive, or both.

blossom - hope blossom continues to be... if not ok, at least not needing to be operated on.

jeni - sorry to hear that you're having sleep problems. it's not much fun lying in bed and staring at the ceiling, or the wall. or listening to your other half snoring. i've started counting my fiance instead of sheep... not that it works too well...
as for the inspection, i hope it went well, and the kids didn't do anything too random.

tanja - glad you got to a meeting. and yes, when we think how much better it would be if we were drinking, it is a lie. i know where it would take me if i picked up a drink again. maybe not immediately, but still quickly.

as for me, the curry ended up being cancelled, on the basis that people were either busy, or forgot it was yesterday, or in my case, didn't feel so good. but still, it was only day three, so that's to be expected.

hope today has been good, and that it continues in a similar vein. when the little things go wrong, it's easy to worry about them, and when they go right, it's easy to turn to the bigger ones to worry about. but what happens, happens, and as long as we've done the right thing, we can face it.
love and hugs to you all. x x
Old 12-13-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bloss View Post
Thursday

this time of year...I really want a hug and someone to tell me , everything is alright.

Bloss
Everything is alright, Bloss and I'm sending you virtual (((hugs)))!

sas
Old 12-13-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hey!! Our school received top grade from the inspection team!! It is judged to be 'outstanding'.....so so happy!!

Declined to join the rest of them in celebratory drinks and have come home to peanut butter on toast and a glass of black currant! Sort of sad that I can't drink normally, it would have been nice to have a glass of champagne but there you go. That's just the way it is. I've accepted that I'm different and it's good to know I will be hangover free in the morning.

And I got through the stress without drinking. Proud of myself right now.

Sorry I've been so self-absorbed lately. I've so appreciated all your words of support and I will catch up with all your posts over the weekend xxx