Notices

Class of January 2012 Part 3

Old 01-27-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good morning day 4. Still a little shameful and guilty. Mostly because some things got out at my place of employment, and I don't exactly know what is going to happen when I go in there this evening. I guess just anxious / nervous. On the upside, after tonight I will know exactly what is going on at work, and won't have this feeling anymore. Plus Saturday and Sunday night, I have my good friend Ashlie working with me, who knows about everything, and just having her there will be sure to make me a little more comfortable. Let strength be with me... maybe a little meditation today. And most importantly - NO feelings of wanting to drink. I guess I'm just really done setting myself up for disaster and misfortune. Thank God.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Smile Day 2

Day 2 and so thankful for this site
Old 01-27-2012, 11:18 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Resident

to SR Gracie.

You are in the right place. We are all here helping each other do the right thing. Kinda like a big party where you don't know anybody at first but then you get to meet a lot of people and get to know them.
Only difference is you will remember what you said and who you met in the morning.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Day 5. At work so I'll have to catch up on posts later. Just wanted to check in.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

thank you fubarcdn..After 10 years of drinking, with a few months of soberity here and there, which I did to fool myself into thinking I could control it. I have finally realised that I can not drink at all. Reading everybodys posts today has helped so much
Old 01-27-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on 2 weeks nonblondechef!
I hope work won't be as awkward as you fear, kat

welcome gracie

and congratulations on 30 days dataminer - I definitely found dealing with my stuff hard...if a counsellor will help, I say go for it

D
Old 01-27-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, day five underway, and hopefully bringing week one to a close this Sunday. I was just thinking today how many of my friends I suspect won't think I'm as much 'fun' as I was when I was drinking - even though the reality is, I know how much MORE fun I am when sober. I won't be a total idiot zombie that can't form sentences. I'll actually be able to enjoy moments, participate in them and engage with people. It's funny how warped alcohol makes things...

Nonetheless, I am still excited and motivated. My mom has been tremendously supportive, calling me twice a day I just want to congratulate all of you who have found sobriety even without familial/friend support, because I know it must be very difficult. You should be so proud. All the best!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi All! Day 5... The support here has made ALL the difference.
Another thanks to Dee for all of your attention, time and hard work.
Fubar: thank you for the advice regarding my husband... You are absolutely right, I have been terribly irritable and he probably thinks that he is saying the right thing. Each day I am waking up feeling more clear-headed and less irritable so it's probably a good time to sit him down and speak with him about what I REALLY need from him in terms of support. Technically we are still newlyweds so I have been feeling guilty about bringing this baggage into our new marriage but I'm over that now.... Now I realize that I cannot be a good wife if I'm buzzed or drunk half or most of the time.
There is a ton of positivity in this new thread... Good vibes!
Let's all go into Friday with our heads held high knowing that we can do this!
Old 01-27-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Day 5

Still sober. Went to doctor today and spilled the beans. I told him how much I actualy drank and how I felt it contributed to my health problems. (Cholesterol, High BP, and Knee problems.)

He thought my life change was great, and said come back in about 2 months for an update. He was not to concerned about my withdrawls, as I am a little surprised how well I'm doing. He would love to see my numbers go down and ween me off the BP and Cholesterol meds someday.

Still pretty tired in morning, but went to sleep last night with no sleep aids. Melatonin 2 nights and one night had a small shot of sleepy cough meds.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Hey all, Day 27 here and going strong! Just thought I'd drop by and say hi.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hey all ,
Day 34 for me .
Had the biggest reality slap today . I was cleaning my 11 year olds room when I came accross a piece of writing my son had forgotten about .
It read:
I hate my Birthday and I hate christmas because my mum always drinks and ruin things by getting drunk .
24/12/11

It hit me like a tonne of bricks , I had took his Birthday and Christmas away from him because I needed to be drunk ! I had promised him after his Birthday incident I would never behave like that again and get drunk . Xmas eve I kept saying I was okay ! I was not okay I ended up in a police cell for the night!
I know I can never put anyone through that again!. It has made me even stronger , the fight between me and the bottle will be won by me!!! I do this for my kids, my family and for myself ...
Anyway I am so pleased to see so many of us here , together we can do this . I know a few of you are suffering at the moment , please know you are not alone , we are all here for you also .
Happy weekend all .A.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Need advice on 2 topics.

#1. Melatonin. I've takin it for years, normally only on the rare nights I would not drink. But I have never have been able figure out how much to take. One night this week I took 2 5mg pills at 6:30pm, went to bed around 11:30 but was still very tired in morning. Another night only 1 5mg, but woke up alot. Just want to hear what amounts others on here have found to be "the right amount" for them.

#2. Dangerous drinking situation coming up Saturday night. My wife asked what I want to do, as there will be temptation. The original plan, before I quit, was to go out to eat and booze with some good friends of ours, pretty heavy boozers, and then to a crazy bowl afterwards, huge booze event, just to socialize (get drunk) with many boozer friends, but not bowl.

Do I bail on this and dodge the temptation? Is this the beginning of me avoiding many long time boozer friends due to temptations? or Is this the ultimate time I put myself to the test early and give it h*ll, and show up and drink tea all night?

I think if I could make it through a night like this, I would have great confidence that I can go the distance. However, you all know the fears I have about weekness and temptation. At least my biggest supporter and helper, my beautiful loving wife, would be with me for support. I would not even consider going if I was going to try this alone.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Day 27

Wow! where did the month go? The only thing I'm thinking about is how I'll keep track of the days sober once we're in February. Ha. guess that's a good problem to have. I feel great and I'm very proud of myself. I have been having thoughts of what to do with my life no that I'm growing up. Happy it's Friday. Headed to the Y with the family to go swim. Something new for a Friday night. congrats to all and keep up the great work!!
Old 01-27-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Resident

Loualsinder
I think it would be wise to take a pass on this one.
I think it is a little too early to put yourself to this type of test.
How would you feel if you were pressured to drink?
Trust me drinking friends when they are drinking can be pushy if they see you not drinking.
It sounds like more trouble than it is worth.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Wow. ALana & Dataminer, thanks for Sharing. My daughter is 8 & alot of me trying to stop is b/c I know she knows. I'm on day 13. And each nigh she says, you wanna play tonight, you don't seem as tired as you normally do. Here I thought it was giving me "energy" to keep going, & all I was doing was checking out emotionally. She deserves better than that. Our kids didn't ask to be born. We brought them here & they deserve ALL of us. I resented my dad for being an alcoholic & I don't want her to resent me. I was struggling today & reading this drove it home for me. I will enjoy my Friday night SOBER!!!!
Old 01-27-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Loualsinder View Post
#1. Melatonin. I've takin it for years, normally only on the rare nights I would not drink. But I have never have been able figure out how much to take. One night this week I took 2 5mg pills at 6:30pm, went to bed around 11:30 but was still very tired in morning. Another night only 1 5mg, but woke up alot. Just want to hear what amounts others on here have found to be "the right amount" for them.

#2. Dangerous drinking situation coming up Saturday night. My wife asked what I want to do, as there will be temptation. The original plan, before I quit, was to go out to eat and booze with some good friends of ours, pretty heavy boozers, and then to a crazy bowl afterwards, huge booze event, just to socialize (get drunk) with many boozer friends, but not bowl.

Do I bail on this and dodge the temptation? Is this the beginning of me avoiding many long time boozer friends due to temptations? or Is this the ultimate time I put myself to the test early and give it h*ll, and show up and drink tea all night?

I think if I could make it through a night like this, I would have great confidence that I can go the distance. However, you all know the fears I have about weekness and temptation. At least my biggest supporter and helper, my beautiful loving wife, would be with me for support. I would not even consider going if I was going to try this alone.
With supplements, there's usually a direction on the bottle isn't there Loualsinder?

If not I think you'd be best off asking your Dr or pharmacist - what someone else does may not always be suitable advice for you.

As far as putting yourself out there - I waited - some months actually.
I wanted to wait until I could be sure I could handle any situation and be secure in my recovery.

I still think that was a good investment

D
Old 01-27-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Loualsinder,

I agree with the advice given on attending an event where booze is served. I would wait at least several months before you put temptation in your way. Achieving sobriety means making changes. Ask yourself is this conducive to my recovery? Try and find a way to have real fun (movie, nice dinner, etc.)
Old 01-27-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hello all, Day 27 and we've the weekend. Feeling pretty good and a while since my last drink, that's dangerous for me. Weekend, works out, humiliation of last drink fading from my memory, in the past that's when I told myself, 'your drinkings not so bad, you can handle it. So I went to a meeting tonight, heard some real wisdom in that room, stuff I needed to hear, sometimes I just need to listen. Worked for me tonight anyhow. Just watchin tv now and relaxing, another day nearly down, another day without a drink, a winner, just for today. Hope everyones doing good and enjoy ye're weekend.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hello Class, day 25! I had major cravings while I was grocery shopping and driving home today I was pretty unhappy and missing my wine. When I got home, my son had made a nice dinner and my husband was in a good mood and I just felt so much better. I'm so lucky to have a wonderful family. I have renewed resolve to stay sober for them and take good care of my health. Here's to a sober weekend for all!
Old 01-27-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Eat all the potato salad with your fingers that ya want girl! A month ago I would be half to 3/4 of my way into a fith of something
Another sober night at home with the wife, and guess what, I'll remember the movie I'm watching and everything! Not to mention, I won't feel like crap in the morning or feel guilty