Notices

Class of July 2008 Part 8

Old 06-14-2010, 10:40 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thanks Philly. Flyers played a good series and had an amazing playoff run. Nothing to be ashamed of at all. It was a fun season. Hockey is my forth fav after, in no set order, MLB, NFL and NBA...but I could get used to this. They say winning the Stanley Cup is the hardest of those for sports championships. They might be right, it's physically ridiculous. There's way more games than the NFL and there's very little stoppage of play during the game compared to football and they hit all the time without all those football pads. All of this while on ice.

DG, speaking of ridiculous, if a woman looks good in a miniskirt then let her wear it to a hockey game or almost anywhere else. Who told you it's not right?
But seriously, I feel for your suffering with the liquid demon but in a way I'm jealous and here's why; You seem to be very very close to realizing, at a younger age than I did, that you will actually be able to enjoy life more without alcohol than you are with it. Once you get some time under your belt sober you will get to a point where you will have wished you quit years ago or never started. The beauty is that you can stop now before you've hit some of the worst consequences. For me the fact that I quit before I killed or hurt someone driving or even got a DUI is golden. We're here for you. This forum can help and I knew it could as soon as I found it...hence the JIT name.
BTW, UFC is alright. It's way better than boxing. Boxing always seemed like an unreal fight. No one fights like that when it's a real fight. UFC is way closer to reality and both parties know what they're signed up for and it's controlled enough so I'm cool with it. Now the real question...what's their stance on miniskirts?

Bruce24, thanks for coming back. Hang out. We love hearing from people that have been out and are back at it again. Congrat's on the 6 months.
Thanks for the congrat's on the Blackhawks. I know that's not easy as a Vancouver fan but I get what you're saying. There are rivals that I can respect for winning and some that I would never congratulate....for me as examples as a Cub fan, I can congratulate the Cardinals but never the Mets or the White Sox.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:26 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Day four, kids!!! I've been going to bed really early, waking up perfectly refreshed, having really vivid, awesome, science-fiction dreams (haha) and feeling "present". I pray I continue to feel this way. I bought a ton of books, so that I don't get to a "bored" state of mind...I get in the worst trouble when bored. I'm having a hard time getting the ex to stop friendly texting me, as I can't get over him when he's still "there" all the time. Men! lol Seems he wants the best of all worlds...my continuous attention/support, as well as the freedom to do whatever. Even more insane, JIT, the ex was anti-skirts! Crazy, right!? I can't live like that! hahaha

Anyways, thank god you're all still here in this thread....thanks for welcoming me back.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:23 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Of course we want the best of both worlds DG. Just like women want the stable secure provider good father type and all that but then... that's boring compared to the bad guy. Makes life interesting that men and women are both not perfect.

Here's the explanation on the miniskirt thing. Girl dresses in attractive way. Guy gets attracted. Girl and guy become a couple. Guy doesn't want girl to dress in way that is attractive to other guys now. He wants the No Vacancy sign turned on....especially at a testosterone filled hockey arena.

Listen to me go on like I got it all figured out.
We now end this episode of The World According to JIT.
Please go on about your wonderfully sober day.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Day 6!!! Starting to think about the weekend. Lots of UFC fights on tv on Saturday, which will amuse me, but I would normally drink during them. Hell, that's why I don't remember a lot of the ones I'd seen! Good thing there are repeats on Saturday before the main event...I can get caught up.

Still going to sleep early...still waking up early and refreshed. Find myself smiling a lot more during random moments of the day. LOVE not having to review the night before and check for drunk-texts!!!

Have a great day, all!!! JIT, your gender is bizarre. lol Thanks for being here, kiddo!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:15 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dancinggirl View Post
JIT, your gender is bizarre. lol Thanks for being here, kiddo!
Ahem! My gender has had to live with your gender for so long that bizarreness has evolved into a coping mechanism.

And really bizarre thing is that we still love y'all most of the time.

In an unrelated note; "And on the seventh day there was UFC"
Old 06-22-2010, 11:32 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Sadly, on the 6th day I drank. The ex came over...I had two drinks. Because I'm not eating that much, it really hit me. Felt horribly hungover the next day, waaaay over-ate to try and even out the hangover...now am crash dieting again. What a rollercoaster this crap is.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

The positive side is that you know you're on the rollercoaster and you know you don't want to be on it. I was on the ride for longer than I should have been, that's for sure.

I appreciate that you're open with us here. We'll do what we can. We where here for Least as she went on and off and not she appears to be doing better than ever.

Keep getting back up off the mat because you can win this battle.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:49 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Just stopping by to say hello. Hope everyone is ok and having a nice summer. I know it just started but here on the east coast it has been pretty hot all spring.

DG, It really does say something to the fact that you keep coming back. I think you have the idea you just need to get some time. I think when we quit it sounds so forever but if you give yourself a shorter time frame it makes it easier. My first christmas was the hardest until I told myself that I wasn't going to drink for that christmas and if I still wanted to drink next christmas I could. The longer you can stay sober the more you do not want that drink. You start to think more rationally. Good luck and stay with it.

JIT we are sneaking up on 2 years I know you'll get there before me but congrats if I don't get on-line in time. I have to go to 7/23 but time does fly and most of the time I forget about it. I just read the book "the night of the gun" by David Carr. Pretty good he was a coke addict as well as an alcoholic but he made some sense of the disease. I also watch intervention sometimes because I think we need to be reminded how bad it can get. The bad memories seem to fade faster than the good ones.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:33 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Philly, yeah I get reminded just by looking at the list of recent thread titles without even hovering over them to see the first few lines sometimes. Thanks for the advanced congrat's.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:50 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Found out tonight that a friend died last night from overdose. Don't know what she took but she always drank a lot with whatever she took. She wasn't a real close friend and this is really no shock at all since she played with fire all time whether it was drugs alcohol job related or staying with physically and/or emotionally abusive men. Found out by stopping by where a group of us hang out. On the way home the radio played - I want to be sedated by the Ramones. That pretty much sums it up. She's been looking to be sedated for years and now she is.

Very sad.

Hopefully others in the group (not that they're all like that)stop and think for themselves.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:02 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hello there (((July 2008 Classmates))) :)

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to this amazing thread :) You were my first family here and I will always be grateful for the love and friendship I received when I first joined SR back in July 2008.

How is everyone doing?

I am doing great! As most of you know, I re-joined the community last August and broke my daily drinking habit. I went on to drink moderately (not on a daily basis) through the fall/winter and spring, but as summer began to approach, I felt I was ready (or NEEDED to be ready) to tackle the rest. The business of summer and all the social activities tend to send me off into dangerous territory. So far so good! :)

I hope everyone is well and will check-in! :)
Much love and many hugs,
Old 07-01-2010, 02:16 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Great to hear from Breakfree. Glad to hear about the progress you're making. Look forward to you checking in.

Wow, I guess this is our July anniversary month now. It hasn't been easy but where does it say it's supposed to be easy?
Glad to be here in the struggle.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:19 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Just stopping by to say hello before I head down the shore to a big drink fest which I won't be participating in. But that is ok because I will feel good in the morning.

I guess I am getting used to this.

BF- thanks for checking in. The moderate drinking scares me because I know I could do it but for how long. I guess I am lucky right now because everyone I am associated with drinks too much so for me to drink moderately while they continue to drink would just not happen so sober I stay.

JIT - sorry to hear about your friend. Brings up back to reality.

Another thing I heard on the radio today which I thought was weird- they are testing Ozzie Osborne's dna to see what genes he has to allow him to drug for this many years and not die. Isn't that crazy.

I hope everyone has a nice safe sober holiday.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:44 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I think I am in the right place.

July 19th I will be entering my 3rd year of sobriety.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:54 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
I think I am in the right place.

July 19th I will be entering my 3rd year of sobriety.
From the very beginning back in July of 2008 we are always welcoming to anyone that wanted to be here. We even had a list of people that started down the sober road that month and a list of honorary members. If we were still keeping that list you'd be on the first one.

Welcome

Congratulations on approaching the end of the second year. I'm less than two weeks from that myself. I was a binge drinker for years and years and eventually got to be a daily drinker in between the binges.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:34 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hi gang! Happy anniversary! I figured I'd stop by as I approach my 2-year birthday on the 20th. Things have been great! After years and years of struggling with infertility, I am now 7 months pregnant. Yippee! It's a boy. I am sure that my sobriety contributed greatly to my overall better health. Also, I quit smoking 2/9/09 and I know that helped as well. In fact, it was the one-year anniversary of my cigarette quit date when I found out I was pregnant. Surprise!

Hope everyone is doing well. I don't miss drinking at all now. Not even in the summertime when we are out on the lake, at a barbecue or at the river. I love waking up every day without a hangover, and I love the fact that my child will not have to endure the terrible roller coaster of growing up in an alcoholic household the way I did.

I better run, sending hugs to all!
Old 07-09-2010, 02:16 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

After throwing myself out of this class I've found a good home in the class of December '09... I now have seven months of sobriety and am feeling really good about it and about my life in general.

Hugs to you all, I love you!
Old 07-13-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I'm starting year 3 today.
Thank you all for all the help and encouragement.
Thanks for being here.
Wish I could thank those who don't come around any longer and I hope they're all doing well. It was really important to have the group together over these 2 years. This core group is important now too.

Rhino, great to hear from you! So glad you're about to hit the milestone too.
Least, glad you found another home. Happy we're still your home away from home.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:45 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Only got a minute but just wanted to send well wishes to JIT.

You almost made this seem easy. Good luck and keep checking in as I will try and do the same.

Good luck and wishes to the whole class
Old 07-19-2010, 06:56 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Philly, that item you mentioned a while back with testing Ozzie's DNA to see if there's something that's allowed him to drug/drink so long is interesting on a couple levels.
One, anyone can tell that he's been impacted by all those years of heavy use ... death is not the only possible impact
Two, if they found something in the DNA it would the the usual double-edged sword of discovery. Could be used to work on some type of treatment to bring people back from the edge and could be used to make it easier for people to party endlessly.