Notices

Class of July 2008 Part 8

Old 05-04-2010, 12:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Balls....balls.....ballsy class over here! Sorry I missed the end of our last thread, but LOVE the way you all closed it up! hahah!

JIT: are you telling us to keep it CLEAN!? By "clean", you must mean "sober", right?

T2S: nice to see you here!!! Congrats on the year!!

Ananda: haha..you crack me up, girl!

Philly: you wonderful gal, you! Good to keep everyone guessing once in awhile, eh? Oops...my Canadian is showing...not much mystery with me, I suppose. lol

Everyone: You know how everyone says that once you go back, things just escalate? I'm there again. By about 4pm, I debating whether or not to get a bottle of wine...or trying to figure out how many beers I have in the fridge...or whether or not I have vodka in the cupboard, so no one will smell booze on me. Classic, eh? Perhaps it's soon time to return....
Old 05-04-2010, 05:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

T2S

I would like to also thank you. I did not join until Oct 2008 but I quit in July 08. I was feeling awful and when I found this site and then this specific thread, I felt it was a god send. I really don't know if I could have done it without this. I really needed people who could relate to what I was going through. So many thanks to you and congrats on your year.

JIT the cubs look ok. We are playing St Louis right now and hopefully we can win a few for you.

Sorry girls for the baseball talk but I had to return to other hobbies once the drinking stopped.

Last Saturday would have been a hell of a day for me if I was still drinking. The Flyers played at 12:30, the Phillies at 3:30 and then the Kentucky Derby.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey, we've mentioned here about how the 90 days period was a hard bump to get over. I always wondered if it was because it was the first kinda long term date and thus was a psychological thing in that "hey, this is harder to think one day at a time now". Carol provided some links on a thread about - is alcoholism really a disease? (yes, that topic again) and this part from How We Get Addicted stood out to me.

One important discovery: evidence is building to support the 90-day rehabilitation model, which was stumbled upon by AA (new members are advised to attend a meeting a day for the first 90 days) and is the duration of a typical stint in a drug-treatment program. It turns out that this is just about how long it takes for the brain to reset itself and shake off the immediate influence of a drug. Researchers at Yale University have documented what they call the sleeper effect--a gradual re-engaging of proper decision making and analytical functions in the brain's prefrontal cortex--after an addict has abstained for at least 90 days

Read more if you like : How We Get Addicted - TIME
Old 05-11-2010, 12:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Just saying hi
Been swamped with work and family issues plus a little appliance maintenance add in just for fun
At least my Cubs are winning....oh, wait
Old 05-18-2010, 09:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Awful quiet over here. I might start talking baseball again.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
thats awsome Time!

so what was year one like????
Thanks. What was year one like? The first 90 days were good, then stuff got real. Thats when I got busy on my steps. Did my 12th step on 7 months to the day. Also finally sold my house in Oregon and bought a nice place in Washington on a couple acres out in the country. At 14 1/2 months clean, life is very good today. Glad to see how many of you are still here. Thats awesome.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

90 days is a big test. It's like there's a troll at the bridge and you have to get past him by hook or by crook.

Hearing about land up in Washington makes me think of the forest scenes in Twin Peaks. Sounds like fun.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joinedintime View Post
90 days is a big test. It's like there's a troll at the bridge and you have to get past him by hook or by crook.

Hearing about land up in Washington makes me think of the forest scenes in Twin Peaks. Sounds like fun.
My first 90 days were not that bad after getting passed the detox in the first week. I hit meeting after meeting and stayed around people in recovery as much as possible. Also went back to work after 20 days clean. It was after my 90 days when things got tough. And, again I will say it was things I had inside that were coming up. Doing the steps set me free. Anyway, as far as Washington? Yes, its very beautiful here. I live right near The Lewis River Falls - LewisRiver.com The Falls are about an hour away. Im also pretty damn close to a Volcano too. Just watched a show on the 30th anniversary of St Helens erupting. Started thinking to myself, be just my luck.... get clean, move to my dream home, life gets good.... then the volcano erupts. lol
Old 05-22-2010, 12:51 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Forget baseball, the Blackhawks are 1 win away from going the Stanley Cup Finals.
Hey DancingGirl how about hockey, eh?
Old 05-25-2010, 06:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Yea it is pretty quiet here. Just saying hello before a big drunken weekend where I don't participate (which is fine with me). I know I'll feel good in the morning.

JIT I was wondering if you like chicago in hockey too. The Flyers are playing pretty well but from what I here the other league is much better. I quess we'll see. I just follow home teams so if the Flyers weren't in it I wouldn't be watching. Good luck to you the people here get way too drunk and I am really not that much of a hockey fan. I would like to see a good series.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Those drunken holidays come around pretty often don't they? There were really hard for the first 6 to 9 months or so but not so bad now.

Philly, yeah...of the 4 major pro sports in America I follow Hockey the forth most, but they've been really good in Chicago for a couple years now so I've been keeping my eye on them. Plus a championship series is a championship series...never witnessed one of those for the Cubs, but then I would have had to have been alive in 1945 and even then they lost that one.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:44 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Everyone make it through the holiday alright?
I did fine.
Had some much needed "do nothing" time.
I needed it.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:03 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Hey everyone! Altho I kicked myself out of this class I now have almost six months sober! No desire to drink either. All my other attempts I still wanted to drink but this time it's different - it's better.

Hope all are well and happy. Love you all.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:22 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Least, you're always welcome here and don't forget we're a dog friendly thread. I'm so happy for you and where you are now. It's all so much more fun when you don't want to drink, isn't it. Congrat's on 6 months!
Old 06-08-2010, 04:47 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I've been a bit of a slacker...pretty wrapped up in step work and of course men (grin)

Going to the itnernational convention in San Antoinio next month...gonna not eat for 2 weeks so i can get the airfare lol

son spent the last 10 days drunk, but he's been sober over 24 now..hoping he holds to not drinking for a while...he gets depressed and unmotivated and angry when he goes on a long binge like that.

I've started writing again, and am working with someone on an art project.

anyhow thats my update

GO REDWINGS!
Old 06-08-2010, 06:52 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi All, Hope everyone is fine. Things are going well. I have sometimes where I think a drink would be nice but that is about all. I can pretty much think it through and it goes away. The nice restaurants seem to be the hardest.

nans- I sent you a message about the convention. You sound like you are doing well.

JIT - the hockey has been a very good series - at this point I am hoping for a game seven - not only because of the home team I just really like game sevens. Anyway we are sneaking up on two years - I am not until 7/23 and I know you were more in the beginning. I don't want it to come too soon because I will be wishing away the summer.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:43 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!
Old 06-11-2010, 12:54 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Ahhh this is crazy, had a flashback to this and decided to come check it out. Awesome to see everyone still here. I've been on and off the wagon the last little while but have been clean for just over 6 months and its been a damn hard struggle that's for sure.

Congrats to everyone who's stuck with it. I know this time I will keep my self in check and I'm really happy about that!

JIT: Chicago deserved the Stanley Cup as much as it hurts to say as a Vancouver Canucks fan. Enjoy it!

Hello to all else, ananda, least, T2S(mikey?), dancing girl, dee and everyone else out there. I thought for sure this class would of disbanded but I'm glad y'all proved me wrong!
Old 06-14-2010, 06:14 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hey everyone! I'm officially baaaaaaack! Don't know if that deserves a smiley face for smartening up, or a sad face for screwing up for so long again.

First of all...hockey-schmockey, JIT!!! lol! I'm Canadian, but not a fan of a sport where I have to sit in a cold arena and a mini-skirt is frowned upon Barbaric!!! haha!

Anyone here into UFC at all?? It's my newest, greatest obsession!!! I absolutely love it!

So...I'm out of control lately. I've never gotten to the point where I'm waking up and drinking, or craving it during the day, but by the time the kids go down, my brain thinks, "would be nice to have one or two"...and then I'm zoning out infront of the tv...the drunk-texting starts (DREAD reading the next morning what I'd done!!!). Plus, the next day I'm soooo sad! Just absolutely depressed that my life is a shambles, my relationship had ended, that there will never be a man in my life who sticks around.

Had a horrible weekend...got really drunk at a bar 'cause my friend was in town, KNOWING that I had to be at a funeral the next morning. Barely made it through the funeral...literally thought I might pass out...or get sick...and it was my dad's best-friend. Absolutely ashamed. I pulled it off...but who knows "really" how much I got away with, ya know?

I need to get a grip...I'm on day 3...I need to cut out men, get healthy, and smarten up.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:23 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

JIT Congrats!!

It was never really expected here this year so what we got was all bonus. Glad Chicago got something even though its not baseball.

Dancing Girl,

Sorry you are still suffering but you can still get out without major damage. From what I hear it never gets better but can get a hell of alot worse. Come back often and do alot of reading and writing. Remember when we first started this it was almost an obsession but I do believe this site really helped me get the the tough times.
I am coming up on 2 years and it does get alot easier. Good luck and keep posting.