Notices

Living In Sobriety Pt 28

Old 12-14-2009, 09:12 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Thank you for the support, I greatly appreciate it.

I don't really know what happened -I stopped working my program and hit 2-3 meetings instead of my usual 5-7. I had an itch and I scratched it thinking I could "manage my drinking" and I CANNOT.

I don't know what else to say except the anxiety, not withdrawals, or maybe that is withdrawals, was absolutely horrific.

I managed though, going to a Falcons game without totally flipping my wig with the crowds. I still have anxious feelings. Let me tell you, I have been praying 6-8 times a day and I hope they are not all selfish prayers. God has been answering them nonetheless.

I am going to share about my slip at the meeting tonight.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:36 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Nan, thanks for sharing that, and its exactly how it happens.

We stop going to meetings each day, find more important things, the gratitude starts slipping, we forget how grateful we really should be, and then the smallest thing, POW, knocks us right back to that drink again. Thank you for reminding me to check my gratitude today and get to a meeting tonight.

Nan, keep sharing and I am glad you came back. Were you working the steps with your sponsor, I can't remember what step you were on?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

I was just starting step 3. I had just over 4 months.

Now I am back to where I began. I am working with a sponsor. She is very emphatic that I share about this slip, so I guess I will.

Last edited by bananagrrrl; 12-14-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

I agree with your sponsor Nan, just how you reminded me about slipping up on meetings, it will be beneficial to someone at your meeting too.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:15 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Bee, I was messing up on everything- and it lead me to drink.

My sponsor says I am "defiant" and I agree with her. I was not ready for step three by a long shot.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:32 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

hello Bee. least, nan, Rusty , anono , wilcool and Lis .

anono ours is plain white but we buy covers for them.....to match our decor. I like white though.

Nan....if you can learn from this then you may not have to repeat it. I like the sound of your sponsor. We are as sick as our secrets you know, so sharing you slipped is good. you are also "owning your behaviour" and you may help another. You helped me actually.

I stopped working my program and hit 2-3 meetings instead of my usual 5-7. I had an itch and I scratched it thinking I could "manage my drinking" and I CANNOT
#
I cannot afford to stop working my program. We only have a daily reprieve.

I would love to talk longer but I am running to a meeting, catch you all later xoxox
Old 12-14-2009, 10:38 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Nan, Yes again I agree with your sponsor.

"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has THOROUGHLY followed our path, those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program. Usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves.

Honesty with ourselves and others is very important in recovery. You know we are here to help you in any way we can, but you have to ask for the help Nan, no one knows exactly what you need except you.

Last edited by Believe808; 12-14-2009 at 10:39 AM. Reason: forgot the word Completely
Old 12-14-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Believe808 View Post
Nan, Yes again I agree with your sponsor.

"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has THOROUGHLY followed our path, those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program. Usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves.

Honesty with ourselves and others is very important in recovery. You know we are here to help you in any way we can, but you have to ask for the help Nan, no one knows exactly what you need except you.

Bee, thank you. My sponsor quoted that exact passage from the BB to me when I told her of my slip.

I guess I don't really know what help I need here. The support is great. I need to work the program. It is hard though.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:13 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Its not hard Nan, its really a simple program. We alkies make it hard because we try to do it our way, customize our programs. We think we know what is better for us and our recovery, but we really don't. Our best thinking got us where we are. Its simple.... Just Don't drink, go to meetings (a meeting a day is my suggestion), Call your sponsor each day, Work the Steps with your Sponsor, and reach out to other alcoholics. Make 3 calls a day, not only will it help strengthen your program but it will help whoever you call.

These are the things I suggest to my sponsees. I can't make them do these things, For me, doing these things are what is keeping me sober. It works IF you work it.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Thank you, Bee. I really appreciate it. Your words have hit home. It is a simple program and I am making it hard.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:26 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Yep we are good at that. PM me anytime Nan.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:20 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

hi all,

i have been feeling a bit down at the moment and not sharing, it has been advised by a wonderful wise lady, that this is when i should share...as you never know when your message may help someone else

nan.. sorry to hear about your slip, but a perfect example of what is said above.. i too have been struggling a bit, i upped the meetings and am hanging out with members more, it has certainly helped, then i read your post.. bang.. exactly what could easily happen to me.. i am at 4 months and slackening off the readings etc... (still increased meetings tho)
thank you for sharing that

i am off to do a reading and prayer before work

will try to be around a bit more xx

ps our Doonas are also white, filled with either goose down, feathers, synthetic,, we then add a cover onto it.

the picture i posted is not mine , though i do love it too! but one i found on the internet during a 'wish list' shopping spree

take care all and have a good day
kate
Old 12-14-2009, 03:35 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

hello I am just off to bed...very tired. It was a long day but a good one. I am intergroup rep for our group now. I need to work on reading MORE literature. All good for my recovery of course.
Sorry to hear your a bit down Kate but It WILL PASS as you know. life is life. good days and bad......its all about our approach and attitude to them.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:27 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Kate it made me smile to see you posting tonight. Sorry you are feeling down, how about a gratitude list, it always helps me get out of a bad space.

Nels Intergroup Rep, that's great. You give so much to the AA program, I am in awe of you and your recovery.

Tonights meeting a girl was sitting there sobbing her heart out, we finally got out of her that she had 7 months sober and went back out, couldn't get anything else out of her tonight.

I am very grateful for my sobriety and I pray that I never forget the pain I felt when I walked back into the rooms. I know that is why God puts these people who are relapsing in my life, to help me remember. I am so grateful to be here and to not just take but give back what I was given so freely by those in the rooms.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:44 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Hello friends,

I'm just checking in for a moment and only caught up on this page. Sorry Nan to hear of your slip but I'm sure grateful you made it back to us. And Kate I'm sorry to hear you are feeling a bit down I understand what that's like but keep that forward momentum going and you'll be okay.

Hugs to everyone - my new meds seem to be a good combo thus far I have pulled out of yet another deep depression to see the light on the other side.

I expect I won't be on much this week due to this course but will try to pop in each evening.

I think of you all quite often and miss you.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:38 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

nana, did you do any, or much service work?

never give up that hope nana!

you can, we all can do it...

just try to leave the self-will out, and let HP run the show...

we pedal, HP steer's

nights LIS

xxooxxoo
Old 12-15-2009, 01:07 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Morning!

glad to see you Ro. we missed you too!! hope your course goes good for you.

meetings sure are a great reminder BEE. sometimes I am so grateful for the member that shares about the slip....it stops me trying it out. I have yet to see one come back laughing saying "Its great out there"

Where are you Lis? I am going to watch my first episiode of Joan this evening. I have series one and two...is there more??

This morning I am going to visit an elderly woman from the fellowship wh cant get to meeting anymore due to age and sickness. I will bring her a christmas gift. before that I am meeting a sponsee for coffee. early start but I want to be back at a decent hour to do stuff at home also. I really must write christmas cards tonight also.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:42 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Nel, I thought you had Joan on your Christmas List, lol. Its not Christmas yet.

Is that women the one who smokes alot, you went to visit her a couple months ago?

Ro, nice to see you back posting, good luck with the course and If you think of us often and miss us then get your butt back here
Old 12-15-2009, 04:22 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Rusty Zipper;2459992]nana, did you do any, or much service work?

Hi Rusty, I made coffee and gave people rides to meetings. So, no, not so much. Any suggestions? We don't have greeters and the chairs stay set up. Oh, I shared about my slip last night- why and how I thought it happened and how it has made me feel.

Today's reading in 24 hours is pretty powerful along that same vein.

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and concern. I can't lie and say I feel no self pity, because I do. I am working on that with my sponsor.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:31 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

hiya nelcs, and mor'n Bee & nana...

Hmmm (scratching chin)

well, rides are good, and making that strong A.A. coffee

how about some , or more knee service?

prayer...

i'm sure you can hang outside the meetings, and be an un-offical greeter,

and take the chairs down, and then put them back! lol

and dont forget to call another drunk!

good wishes nana

you can do it!