Notices

Class of July 2008 Part Six

Old 12-27-2008, 10:39 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

(((jit)))
Old 12-28-2008, 09:01 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  

I'm hanging in there. It's been mostly very down, but there have been a few ups. One of which is right now. She says she will go to counseling with me. A new one, not mine which makes sense because I've been with this one a long time. She's back peddled on this once already in last 24 hrs but currently is saying yes. I will enjoy the "up" without getting hopes up. Very tired mentally at the moment.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:28 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Ananda, you don't mean like in the movie Deliverance to you?

Hey Philly, you may have to revise your stance regarding the fortunes of your sports teams. Nice win over Dallas. My son started liking the Eagles years ago for some reason. I think it's because he really likes the real live birds. So, now that my Bears are out of it Eagles sound like a good team for the NFC. I like our only SoCal team left out here in the AFC...Chargers.

Anyone else notice how quiet DG has been since she found that good kisser?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:38 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Ooooh.... good point about DG!

I have to follow up on something you brought up, JIT... in 2 weeks, me and my son are going to the AFC playoff game: Titans vs. Colts/Chargers!!! I'm also getting tix to the AFC Championship game if the Titans win that playoff game (actually I've already gotten the tix but obviously won't use them if we lose :P). I'm so excited!!! I've only been to one or two NFL games ever, and this will be PLAYOFFS... AT HOME. How exciting is THAT?! I figure it's pretty much a once-in-a-lifetime thing, that's why we're doing it.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:01 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  

JIT,

Yes it was a little amazing how they slipped in- I mean their game was good I just didn't expect the Bears and Bucs to lose. The Phillies took all the pressure off. One theory is we have alot of high rise buildings here and some are taller than city hall with William Penn on top. Well Comcast built one higher than all and put a small Penn on top so everyone thinks the jinx is gone. I think Philly sports especially Eagles bring out the pessimist in me.

TSH- A sports fan too- go figure lol. Have fun at the game. I don't follow the AFC as well as the NFC but maybe the Titans will meet the Eagles at the Super Bowl.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:20 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  

TSH, Chargers/Titans would be much better than Colts/Titans Hope you see that game.

Philly, if you guys think the jinx is gone, it's gone. It's all in people's heads. The infamous Bartman game in Wrigley Field when the fan interfered with a Cub player in the playoffs is a prime example. Cubs were ahead in the game and the series - 5 more outs and they would go to the World Series for the first time since 1945 which is when the "Billy Goat Curse" was started. As soon as that incident happened the entire crowd groaned the groan of "oh no, here we go again". The players felt all the weight of the crowd and the long winning drought made 2 errors and gave up 8 runs in that inning and lost the next game and the series.

Is that a curse? I don't think so. It's people acting like there's a curse.

Ahh the human mind is amazing, huh. That is why we're here at SR. (Just thought I'd tie it back to sobriety talk so we don't feel guilty when we talk sports. BTW, alcohol and sporting events...there's a topic)
Old 12-29-2008, 01:22 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Rofl
Old 12-29-2008, 01:41 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

After yesterday, I sure hope it's a Titans/Chargers game. :P LOL!!

And yeah, good thing it's just me and my son going. No chance of me getting a beer at the game that way.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:54 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Ok football fans, help me figure this one out. I thought the Titans would be playing the winner of the Colts/Chargers game. According to NFL.com's schedule, the Titans will play either the winner of that game OR the Ravens. Why wouldn't the Ravens just advance and play the Steelers? This chart says the Steelers will play either the Dolphins or the winner of the Colts/Chargers game. So... who the Colts/Chargers play depends on whether the Ravens or the Dolphins win. Why?
Old 12-29-2008, 11:30 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  

TSH, I'm happy to answer your question, but first I'd like to tell the class that I have spent the last few hours researching marriage counselors that accept my insurance plan because I have finally convinced (at least for now anyway) my wife to agree that the two of us amateurs need a pro to mediate. Now, this is great, it really is, but I must let you know that she is convinced that she is right and I am wrong and the therapist will agree with her.

But, it I like the improved odds of progress occurring with a "referee" on the field.

That was my subtle transition to the football question...

Ok, TSH, the Titans had the best record in the AFC at 13-3 so they get the advantage of being the top seed. Pittsburgh with a record of 12-4 had the second best record and get the second seed. The top 2 seeds, Titans and Pittsburgh, get the advantage of not having to play in the first round. 4 other teams have to play in the first round and only two advance - winner of Chargers/Colts and winner of Baltimore Ravens/Miami Dolphins.

Now here's where your question comes in. The top seed gets the advantage (it's a theoretical advantage because you really never know who is playing better) of playing the team that had the worst regular season record out of the two that emerge from the first round. This would be the Chargers at 8-8 (Chargers played in what was a very poor division this year however they seem to peaking at the right time) if they beat the Colts. The Ravens and Dolphins both had 11-5 records so they both were better than the Chargers and thus Titans get the "advantage" of playing the "lesser" Chargers. Are you noticing my bias here?

Now if the dreaded Colts win they would play Pittsburgh because their record of 12-4 is better than both the Ravens and Dolphins. It's all very simple, huh.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:53 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Actually, hearing it explained that way, yes! Thank you! (I'm sure I could have googled it but it was much easier doing it this way - LOL!)

I'm glad to hear your wife has agreed to go to counseling, even if she is convinced she is right and her only motivation is to hear someone else say you're wrong. Good can still come from it. It's a step in the right direction. I do hope you'll let us know how it goes.

(((jit)))
Old 12-30-2008, 04:51 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

I'm glad too JIT.....bla bla bla on the football stuff...you're as bad as those brits with their footie.....

I really do believe that if we stay sober so our minds function properly we get teh oppertunity to work through the rest of that stuff in a more satisfactory way...not always how we'de like it...but overall we get on with life and find some peace and happiness.

(hgus)
Old 12-30-2008, 06:08 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

JIT- I too want to send my best wishes for your trip to the counselor. I do hope you get everything you want our of it. I think a marriage counselor would help my marriage also but of course I think I am right so my husband would never agree to it. I'm glad you see hope.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:59 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

My husband and I should probably see a counsellor together too, of course he's on board with me going, but no mention of going together.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:00 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

football schmootball, it's not hockey.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:06 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

my councelor says it's always the weller ones who go..the sick ones wont

i'm the only one in my family got counciling lol
Old 12-30-2008, 09:09 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

I just found out i'm the only one who isn't!

My mom is going b/c she just lost her partner, my dad is going, my sister's been going for years.

My dad says he went to a meeting yesterday. I believe him, and we're talking without having to be as blunt as the rest of the family is being.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:12 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

that is great scoob.....did you end up going to a meeting together las week...i thought you talked about the possiblility
Old 12-30-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

No. I asked him on Saturday but he wasn't feeling up to it, and yesterday he just phoned me from downtown after work to tell me he was going.

I'm going to let him know that the offer stands that i'll go with him if he ever wants or if I want to.

We're going to stay home this year and have a quiet new years with him and the kids.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:24 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Thanks for the well wishes. I'll let you know how it goes.
Hey, if it's the ones that are well that go, I'm way ahead of the game.

Speaking of games....we're not as bad as the soccer fans, Ananda. Those fans are into total mayhem.

Scoob, I was into hockey a lot growing up in Chicago, then I got away from it. I went back for Christmas last year and my brother took us out to a Blackhawks game. It was great fun. They're playing Detroit on New Years Day outdoors (Wrigley Field). I'll be watching and I won't be hungover.

How many years did we all start hungover? No wonder those years were such struggles.