Notices

Happy thanksgiving

Old 11-25-2004, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Happy thanksgiving

Holidays can be difficult times and especially difficult for addicts whether we are in recovery or not. Our families may want to understand but unless they are addicts in recovery they probably don't have a clue.

As a result of the influence of Narcotics Anonymous in my life, today I will spend with my family and accept things the way they are and they way the day unfolds. We have decided to invite my friend who won't be with his family today for dinner. I'm grateful for my recovery and my family today and grateful that my recovery has rubbed off on my family.

If your having a rough day, please ask your higher power for some peace, call another addict, get to a meeting, or trust that no matter how crazy you think you may feel, most of us have been there. Feel free to share it with us and keep checking back. Someone will be along to share their experience with you and offer encouragement.

Keep coming back. We never have to use again no matter what!
Old 11-25-2004, 09:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL OF MY SOUTH OF THE BORDER NEIGHBOURS

:familydin

BON APPETIT
Old 11-25-2004, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

Merry Turkey Day. My your day be filled with graditude and Happiness and if you haven't been told by someone today that you are loved or even if you have, I Love You!!
Todd J.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Truth is the only lasting joy

To quote my friend Sean G: "If no one told you they loved you today, you're hanging out with the wrong people!"

Happy Thanksgiving....

:wishbone :din
Old 11-25-2004, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving All.

I guess this would be the right place to put this. My sister-in-law is in a recovery house, she has about 4 months clean. She has been avoiding all of us since she came back from her relapse. I was really hoping to see her today, but she told her mom that she is just not ready to face us yet. She is not ready to deal with those feelings. I guess I felt a little disappointed, yet I can understand. I hope she had a good day with the other women in the house.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is hard to deal with a family member who is in denial of their own issues of addiction and try to keep on track with your recovery. I was dreading today because it meant spending time with my Mom. Our relationship is tenuous at best and a strain because she has expectations of "the day" that can't be met. It went OK, although she pouted for the first half hour. I chose to ignore that behavior and as soon as the food came out she was a different person. ( food is her drug of choice.)
Someone helped me realize that I need to keep to my boundaries with her--of limiting time spent even though she wants more. To spend more time with her would be harmful to me and even though at times it feels like I am being selfish, I know deep down I am not.
To you all a Blessed Thanksgiving. I remain Thankful for sobriety!
Old 11-26-2004, 09:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ok .. I am semi recovered from the feast and triptathan.. didn't know if I was going to be able to sleep last night as I over estimated my apetite and had some indigestion.

Yum!

my girlfriend is picky and doesn't like pumpkin pie. Said she would like chocalete creme though. I found a frozen Mr's smiths Moosetracks Ice cream pie and managed to hide it from her in teh freezer until a few minutes before it was time for dessert. I think I scored some points lol.

We had a nice 5 lb turkey breast, the usual trimmings, and an enjoyable quiet little dinner.

And I helped her get her sewing machine set up in our spare room. My friemnd was over the day before and we made good progress on framing up the back of my barn.

This is my 14th Thanksgiving since I've been clean and they just keep getting more serene.

I remember how painful the first few holidays were. I chose to spemd parts of them with other recovering addicts over my own family because I just wasn't ready to face all of their insanity. The longer I stayed clean the more I recognized that I had all the things that bothered me about them. Your family member was right where she was supposed to be yesterday Laurie.

My saddest moment yesterday was that I didn't get a chance to talk to my daughter. Left a mesage on her mom's voicemail ( they screen all their calls) but either her mother isn't passing along messages, or she just chooses not to respond.

I'll turn this over to the care of the Boss as always and I'm sure His plan will be for the best.