Notices

Slow But Sure

Old 08-03-2004, 02:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cleansloth

Red face Slow But Sure

Well, I've been through the so called hardest part- getting clean. Now it's supposed to get easier, right?? I'm on my 4th month clean. Nothing is going fast enough for me. I'm so bored, with everything. "They" say that it's P.A.W.S working hard to get me to fall down. I don't know exactly what it is , but things really suck right now. I'm doing what I can to stay clean. My whole world is new and scary. What can I do?? How do I learn to take things one moment at a time?? One of the friends that I made in rehab just got buried today- overdosed : I know, but its still not easy. How do I learn to deal?? If you know any little magick tricks wanna let me in on them?? Keep workin' it! I'm gonna!! The dreams and night twitches are happening wicked bad lately. That would be why this post is written at this time of the morning I hope that you have a good day . Take care
Old 08-03-2004, 05:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cleansloth,
Let me start by welcoming you to SR. This is a great site, with lots of people willing to help. P.A.W.S. stands for Post Accute Withhdrawl Syndrome. It effects everyone differently. I'm sorry to hear you are having so much difficulty. Do you go to meetings? It is neccessary for me to meet with recovering addicts on a daily basis. These are the people who know what I'm going through, because they have been there themselves. Go to a meeting and get some phone numbers. When it gets really bad, call someone. It works if you work it. I'll be sending out prayers for you. Just hold on, say a prayer, and most importantly DON'T PICK UP!!!!!!!
sherry
Old 08-03-2004, 06:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome cleansloth

I can tell you that being clean wasn't enough for me. I had spent quite a few years getting high and incorporating my addict mentality, attitudes, and behaviour.

I went to meetings, read the literature, and learned about the choices I had to change the way I lived and look for more acceptance and les distraction. I'm still doing that 13.5 years later... and still clean... Thats what the older members told me when I came around.. if you want what we have, do what we do.

Noi magic tricks.. just clamp your fingers into recovery and hang on even when you can't see why you should.

It doesn't get easier ... it gets simpler to accept, process. and move forward.

Keep coming back!
Old 08-03-2004, 07:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Still hangin` on...

Cleansloth--WELCOME!

No magic tricks here. Just alot of hard work. Staying clean isnt easy but ya know---its all worth it!!! People who have some time have told me it gets easier--but you will have your days. We all do. I just know, for me--that I have never felt this good in my life!!! I can look at myself in the mirror without disgust!!!! That is a big deal for me TODAY! Thats all we all really have--TODAY. Just thank God that you have a choice. Be grateful for everything that you do have--dont concentrate on the negitive.

Ann
Old 08-03-2004, 07:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi cleansloth, and welcome.
I've been clean for a little over four months now.
I got out of rehab at the end of January. Do the math, and you'll see I had a relapse.
So there's nothing easy about changing old behaviors and long held beliefs.
PAWS, as you mention, is a very real thing, and I hope you've read up on it and learn to recognize the signals your mind and body send you.
No magic tricks for recovery like Gooch says.
It is a new world.
That we get scared is not only natural, but a true sign that recovery has started in your life, in my opinion.
Just for today.
I'm glad I have today.
And I'm glad you're here.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
cleansloth

Thankyou so much for your support. I know you know how much your knowledge means to me. I will take your advice. thankyou
Old 08-03-2004, 07:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Cleansloth,

Welcome to SR. The Recovery and Relapse chapter of the Basic Text has a line in it that I love because it really helped me. "Sometimes all we can do is hold on to abstinence come he** or high water." Just knowing that I was not alone in that feeling helped. Recovery takes some work, It's a SIMPLE program, not an EASY one. But it is so worth the effort. Remember everything is temporary and this too shall pass.