Notices

how did you do It ( please reply )

Old 07-26-2004, 10:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
chris addict

how did you do It ( please reply )

You know, there is alot of people suffering that come here for advice and this could be a great way to help by telling how you did It.So if you have a story please tell how YOU did it. Now me I had one of those really hard crashes it was a year ago and I was about 110 pounds little bity guy almost dead I was smoking about 3 grams of meth a day and that pissed me of that was not near enough I started losing my jobs within week of starting a new job I would get a job long enough to get a pay check and blow it on dope and would lose my job becouse I wouldnt go to work. but it was there falt not mine lol.um finally my ex got sick of having no place to live and always worrying how we are going to get more she drove me to tulsa ok and basically said Im leaving you.that freaked me out thats when I realizes I had no friends family anything so I knew I had to do somthing and went to rehab.it was a 6 month rehab I learned the tools I needed to stay alive so when I got out I started going to meetings I didnt get a sponser and did not do the steps and nearly relapsed becouse I did it half ass. Now I have a sponser Im working My steps calling my sponser everyday following the 5 suggestion and also pratice my spiritual principals Im big on spiritual principals.anyways I hope this can help someone And hope to here other story on how you did it to love all of you.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Truth is the only lasting joy

Peace,
I "kicked" going to meetings and sleeping on friends couches...
I read step one, in the NA Basic text, everyday.
I wrote about powerlessness and unmanageability, obsession, compulsion, reservations, fear and doubt...
I kept coming to meetings no matter what. I had no job and couldn't sleep so I made three-four meetings daily. When I got a job, I still made a meeting everyday.
I hung around the winners, people who were into NA service and were living the 12 steps.
I listened...
I did what my sponsor suggested/told me to do.
And I didn't use.
When I left the house in the morning, I told myself, "All you have to do is make it back clean."
That's what I did.
Peace
Old 07-27-2004, 07:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

pretty much the same as most addicts I started using and it wasn't long before the getting and finding ways and means to get more became a full time misssion. Eventually after the evidence outweighed my denial, I realized in hopless despair that I couldn't successfully use nad I couldn't just "quit" using.. I went to NA and found out that I wasn't alone and that I was an addict and would never be able to manage my use. After a few years of trying to do things my way, I wound up making the decision to work the steps and follow the suggestions of the other addicts who had been clean and knew how to live a day at a time.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...splay.php?f=53

stud if you click on this link it will take you to the forum where people have posted their recovery stories.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

I got to recovery because I ran out of the desire to hurt myself and others.
Took a long time.
Once I got a taste of living sober, I couldn't wait any longer.
So I got a sponsor and started working the Steps in all aspects of my life.
It's funny, but as long as I hung with active addicts and alcoholics, my desire to clean up simply wasn't strong enough. Once I started hanging with people that had found recovery, I wanted it bad.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Still hangin` on...

I think to get clean and stay clean is all about honesty, open-mindedness, and willingness. My life was unmanagable and I couldnt deny that anymore.
I got to the point where I really didnt care If I lived or died and that is a very scarey feeling.
After going to detox/rehab I realized that I needed to change ME! Yes-Its about staying clean but when I took the 12 step program seriously-that is when I realized that I was using drugs to cover-up feelings that I couldnt deal with. I have major issues that I have to deal with-and I am grateful for Narcotics Anonymous showing me the way. Without this program--I dont know where I would be.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
chris addict

thanks gooch for that link there are some really good stories there.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If I can think of reasons to skip a meeting, the next phase is where I can think of reasons to get high again.
Happened every time, guaranteed 100%!
Old 07-28-2004, 08:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was tired. I just wanted to die to get away from that existence. I was homeless and prostituting, I sat down on the steps of a church and prayed. I asked God to just take me away from there. I bargained with him that I would make the needed money if he would make sure that my next bag would kill me. I am so grateful he had other plans. The first car to pull up to the corner was the Warrant Unit. when the officers got out of the car instead of running I gave them my PPN. Knowing that I had 6 warrants on me. I went to jail, stayed out of trouble, got paroled, and followed the suggestions given to me. Meetings, sponsor, homegroup, service, steps and of course God. I was very willing.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Birddog, I like what you said. Except if I find reasons to skip a meeting, I've ALREADY started thinking of reasons to get high again. The two go hand in hand. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
flush the hydro in the toilet

This is what i do.

i keep remembering, wether it is worth going through the withdrawls EVERYTIME i would have no money. I think about my daughter and how it can impact her life and ways of thinking about life and future, i dont want her to turn out how i was. Also i remember when i get the narcs out of my system people seem to like me much better, i am more outspoken and happy for what i have done! Everyday i wake up thinking YESTERDAY i didnt fall for it. There are many reasons why i seem to stay away and my story is alittle long to type out, i am young, in my 20s but it goes waaayyy back starting 12 years of age. everything is a big blurr now, i had missed all my teenage years on a substance and was never myself. i was with my fiance for 10 years and she never really knew me.... i was always hidding the problem, if only she can see me now, after she had left. ONLY IF SHE CAN SEE ME NOW i repeat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but as always its never too late to get help. Its the best damn thing that can happen to you i promise. god is with you just seek him. Pray for the direction he will guide you. He did me and he will you... god bless!!
Mike Farley