Notices

I need help

Old 07-25-2004, 05:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need help

I have been using pain medication for about a year now due to surgery and I am trying to get off of them. But I am finding that it is very difficult for me. I would love to know how I can go about starting this process. I realize I have some major issues as I have been abusing pills for years now. I am afraid to got to meetings or a counselor, I hope that I can find help here. Please write back to me.
Thank you
Old 07-25-2004, 05:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't be afraid

Hi Debby,
I am addicted to pain meds also...so, I know what you are feeling. You need to start weaning yourself off of them to quit completely. It seems so hard at first...but, it can be done. Those pills are very addicting as you know and if you really want to get off of them....you can do it. I do not go to any meetings and that works for some people...some it does not. I will help you any way I can. Keep posting...this is a great place to start. Good luck to you

Ali
Old 07-25-2004, 05:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Debby

Welcome! We hope you will find the support you need in order to stay clean here.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Debby, I too am a pain pill addict of many years. It is difficult but you have taken the first step, coming here and asking for help.

Please let us know what we can do? Are you physically dependent on the pills? That makes it hard, but it can be done!!!

If you are able to get medical help, then that can make it easier. Otherwise, as Ali suggested, you can wean yourself off the pills by tapering. That has not worked for me, but I know it can work for some people.

Ashley
Old 07-26-2004, 10:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tapering off

Debby,
I misspoke earlier when I said...you have to taper off to quit completely....what I meant was....I think the withdrawels are easier to handle if you taper off before quitting. When stopping cold turkey...you may suffer more from the withdrawels. Tapering off works better for some...some it does not.

Ali
Old 07-26-2004, 10:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Debby,

Congrats on getting here as somebody else already said. Help does not come to those who do not ask.

So far as weaning youself off the pain pills. I would call a drug hotline first to find out what side effects and withdrawal effects you might experience based on your own medical history. Everyone is different and everyone's ability to deal with that weaning process is different. If you are drinking socially and trying to get off these pills and they are readily available in your social circles these are other issues you would want to consider. Weaning off those type of pills and than a month or more into that you go to a party and drink and than decide to pop a few to enhance your buzz ... this could be more dangerous to you than if you had not attempted to wean off them to begin with.

You might want to post at least the name of the drugs you are taking so that somebody here can share thier experience, strength and hope in a more specific manner about that drug. And I would also mention any other partying behaviors you might have no matter how insignificant you might think they are. And I would also call a Drug Hotline as I mentioned to seek professional help that is drug specific to your personal characteristics.

Albert R.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ali42
Debby,
I misspoke earlier when I said...you have to taper off to quit completely....what I meant was....I think the withdrawels are easier to handle if you taper off before quitting. When stopping cold turkey...you may suffer more from the withdrawels. Tapering off works better for some...some it does not.

Ali
Way to Go Ali ..... You made my post before I could submit it. LOL

Albert R.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello Deb,
I also have a very similar story. my first suggestion i would make to you is a very serious one. if you really are serious about ending this madness, as i am atttempting myself at this time, my suggestion would be (given that the meds are coming from legit prescriptions) to call your doctors and tell them that you are an addict and that you don't want any further narcotic pain medication (unless there is no alternative and you have medical necessity that can not be satisfied by any other choice). this step is hard, but it will take some of the choices out of your hands. and as you know our decision making skills are no good, if they were, we wouldn't be here. i echo the statments made by others that coming here was a great first step. if you are taking large doses, you may need the help of your doctor to safely come off of them. stopping too quickly can cause seizures, heart attacks, and/or death. i went from 100mg of hydrocodone /day and reduced the amount by 5 mg. /day. ex: 45 morning, 50 night, next day 45 morning, 45 night. larger doses at night will help the sleep be as good as it can get.please reply to me, i would greatly appreciate any feedback. you can do this if you want it enough..i know as far as me, i have been using something for my entire adult life and the hardest thing now is to fill the time with something more productive than taking a med. and repeating my process including not eating before or immediately after the dose to avoid lessening the feeling. l look forward to hearing from you. if it matters, i am a 36 year old male. be strong, and no matter what anyone says, no one has all the answers, least of all, me. together, we can do it..
Old 07-26-2004, 12:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tryin, ah yes, not eating before and after the dose.... I would go for weeks eating only a bowl of cereal for a whole day, popping pills every few hours.

Now I have to remind myself to eat when I am hungry since I have forgotten what it feels like to be hungry!

Are you tapering now? Do you have medical help?

Ashley
Old 07-26-2004, 06:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. you will find lots of love and support here. I did pain meds, but they weren't my DOC so I never became addicted to them. Lots of good suggestions have already been given to you.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Smile

Hi,
I am a recovering addict of pain meds, ( opiates are my drug of choice) and I have 6 years of sobriety. It is hard, and you have some good advice. I echo the advice of getting medical help to detox. It can be hard to do it alone and frequently relapses occur.
Keep posting and know you are in many thoughts and prayers.