Notices

cocaine and OCD

Old 07-09-2004, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

cocaine and OCD

I am posting here because I wonder if anyone has had any experience with cocaine and OCD. My daughter was moderately OCD. Then she started using cocaine and then abusing cocaine. I can't say for sure that she is an addict. She says she has stopped. But what has become clear is that during the time since she started using (18 months ago) her compulsive behavior has gotten out of hand, especially obsession with her appearance and with getting fixations that she can't let go of. For example, she worked in a nursing home and became obsessed with one of her patients who was a charming old colonel. He was unable to walk and mildly senile but she became obsessed with spending time with him and trying to make him happy. It was almost like a romantic relationship. She also became a shopaholic spending thousands of dollars on clothes, E-bay was like her lifeline.

A major problem is that she spends so much time on make-up and hair that she is usually at least an hour late to everything. She is 27 years old. She was not like this two or three years ago.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Does you think that this extreme compulsive behavior could have been made worse by cocaine or is it just circumstantial that it got worse since using?

Thanks,
L.B.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heather

L.B. . .My opinion on this is there's a possibility that her compulsive behavior is linked to using. . .now I am speaking from my own experiences. . .but we also have to keep in mind. . .everyone for their own. . .so at the same time. . .this could just be what she is enjoying at this stage in her life without drugs as well. . .however I know from my own experiences that when I was using cocaine and meth that I would spend a ridiculos amount of time on my hair and make-up. . .however with or without drugs I am late for everything. . .as for the patient at the nursing home. . .when I was high on coke or meth. . .I had all the paitence in the world for both of my elderly grandparents. . .an had no problem doin anything they asked. . .but without it. . .it was the total opposite. . .I didn't want to do anything for them at all. . .And the shopping sprees. . .omg. . .can I relate to that. . .that was my favorite passtime. . .I would spend every last dollar that we had. . .an not pay 1 bill. . .but you better believe that I had that Gucci purse. . .or those Coach sunglasses. . .so as the NA text reads. . .we realized that our lives had become unmanagable. . .but I have to remind you that shopping alone has it's own catagory in addiction. . .so it doesn't always boil down to drug addiction when someone is spending alot of money when out shopping. . .so it is really hard to tell whether or not she is using. . .all my prayers go out for you an your daughter. . .I hope that all works out. . .keep comin. . .
Old 07-09-2004, 07:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Heather,

Thanks for responding. It does sound as if some of the things you did are very similar to her behavior. I can see that there may be some connection to the drug, though it is so hard for me to understand any of this. Still, I have to have faith that recovery is possible. I wish I could get my daughter to come to this site but right now she is not open to suggestions.

I know I belong in the friends and family section of the boards, but I came here because I wanted to hear from someone who had first-hand experience. The whole drug issue is understandably not something my daughter will open up to me about.

I don't know you but I know that there is a real person behind your words, someone who was caring enough to take the time to tell me a little about her experience. May God grant you the strength you need to make it day by day.

Lisa B.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heather

Thank you Lisa. . .I know that it is hard for you to understand as a mother what your daughter is doing an why she would do this. . .my mom is the same way. . .during my time in rehab. . .on family day the facility offered classes for family members an because my mom was so obilivious to the reasons of why I would do these things. . .she went to these classes an learned about my addiction. . .an came to terms with the fact that it was a disease. . .not something that I just choose to do willingly day by day. . .to hurt myself an the ones I loved an that loved me. . .same reason that you are here right now. . .to help yourself get a better understanding as to why you daughter may be doing these things. . .so please do not think that you do not belong here. . .you may not be an addict yourself. . .but you are a mother trying to help your daughter an you are here seeking all the advice that you possibly can in order to help her. . .an that is a wonderful thing. . .I know that you have mentioned that she will not even consider looking at this site right now. . .an you cannot force it upon her. . she needs to surrender an do this for herself when she is ready to do it FOR HERSELF. . .that may sound harsh. . .but the only reason that I say that is because as addicts. . .we cannot make the choice to get clean for anyone besides ourselves. . .doing it for others will only cause us resentment towards those people in the future. . .but if we do it for ourselves then we realize that we have found a new way of life. . .if we trulely want it. . .so again I have you and your daughter in my prayers Lisa. . .please let me know if you need anything at all. . .I am always here if you need someone to talk to. . .an Keep Comin. . .you can come back to this section anytime. . .Heather