Notices

I am just now quitting

Old 09-09-2009, 05:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am just now quitting

I am on day 2 of not using narcotics. I took pain pills everyday for 2 years. It was taking over my life. I can't live that way anymore so i made a hard choice to quit. Not because i didnt like them anymore but because i didnt like how i was living and didnt wanna live that way anymore. i was sick if i didnt have them and i couldnt do it. i always worried where i was gonna get more money and worried about running out bc i was gonna get sick. now i am sick of being sick. my husband tried suboxone. its suppose to take away your withdraws and get you off the pain pills. so i tried some yesterday and i got thru the whole day just fine and then i did a lil bit more today and am ok. now my only fear is what about when i dont have suboxone to lean on. how long will my withdraws last? will i get addicted to the suboxone even tho i dont even take hardly 1mg? how long should i lean on the suboxone? i just wanna be clean and sober again i hope someone can give me some answers.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not a good idea to take anyone else's prescriptions under any circumstances.
Seeing a doctor is the only advice any of us can give you.
There is all kinds of experience with this type of drug replacement in the Substance Abuse Forum of this site. Check it out.

Congratulations on your decision to change your life. I personally did not use drug replacement. I can tell you though, stopping the use of drugs and finding a new way to live is the best thing I ever did for myself.

Take it one day at a time and get yourself a plan for your recovery.

Decide what you are willing to do to get and stay clean, then accept help!

Peace,
Missy
Old 10-09-2009, 04:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Withdrawl is only the first step when giving up. Take one day at a time and yes go see your doctor. Your body is not used to not getting what it is use to. A doctor can maybe prescibe something for you, but what ever you do dont give in. Your choice to stop is so importnat, because you realised that what you where doing is wrong and you want a better and healthier life. I salute you. Trust me it does gget better, I has to. I would last forever you just need to ride it out. And at the end it will all be worthit. Let me give you some advice that i got from one of the members. Try it this will definately help.

The cravings for me didn't magically cease. It took time. Here is what helped with cravings for me:

1. Lots of meetings and service. Lack of free time works!
2. Being around other recovering addicts all the time. They monitored my behavior and would physically keep me from buying or using drugs.
3. Having phone numbers of other people in recovery to call when I was alone helped tremendously. Reaching out is key for me.
4. Picking up my key tags gave me a sense of pride. I didn't want to lose my clean month over a quick, one-night high.
5. I got a bunch of speaker tapes and played them when I got a bad craving. One that is especially helpful was Brownie from New York, if you can get your hands on it. You can go on the XA web site (just google XA) to make some if you have a burner, or just want to listen to them on your computer.
6. I had to work my recovery the way I did drugs...every day, all the time. If I didn't, I would have relapsed. As far as I know, it is like that for everyone.
7. When I get the occasional craving now, I pray.

We are all in this togeter, I you want to talk post a message I am sure someone will be there to listen and offer advice.

Your friend

Ed