Notices

Struggling with Bi-Polar

Old 03-25-2006, 01:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling with Bi-Polar

Hi,

I guess that I just need to say to someone who may understand about bipolar disorder that I am having a rough time right now. I am in the middle of switching medications because I have been in a downward spiral with my mood swings. Most of my mood swings lean towards the down side of depression. My head seems to be very confused about a lot of things to many racing thoughts. Right now I am just in pain not physical, mentally.

My emotions are running a muck right now if anyone can understand what I am going thru people write back.

Thanks
sayalise93
Old 03-25-2006, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sayalise,

I'm sorry for what you're going through right now.

I'm not bipolar but I understand depression and changing medications and how complicated that can make your life. I hope that the new medication begins to work soon and that you can find some peace.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

sayalise;
I'm sorry you're going through a tough time. I understand depression. And I've been dealing with it for a while again, now. I'm seeing my doc on Wednesday. And I'm seeing a counselor. The stress of work is exaserbating the problem.

Can you identify what is exaserbating your symptoms? That identification is one step in feeling better, by dealing with what is underlying the problem.

Also, taking care of yourself one day at a time is important.
Physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritualy. Address each of these areas in your life. I understand it's difficult when you're dealing with depression. But, it's just then that it is very important. Please try to do at least one; then, add on to it.

Be good to yourself. You are a child of G*D worthy of all that is good.

Shalom!
Old 03-25-2006, 06:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Hey there,

I know what you mean about those racing thoughts. When I had to switch bipolar meds it was such a nightmare.
Have you told your pysch. about how you are feeling? I know it's pretty important to tell them any changes you are having.....

Are you seeing a counselor at all?

Journaling seems to help me when I'm feeling like you are, or also like you did coming here. Just getting the thoughts out and onto paper seem to help so much. Otherwise they stay stuck and they have no where to go.

There's a great book that I sometimes do when I'm feeling like you are, it's call The Artists Way.
If you like that type of thing, it helps so much!

Keep posting and let us know how you are doing!

DWI
Old 03-25-2006, 09:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Sayalise, The roller coaster ride of Bipolar. I know it well. I have been diagnoised since 1991..but of course have been Bipolar longer. Possibly since birth. You didn't say which bipolar you have I am gonna go out on a limb and assume Bipolar 2 since your moods are generally down. Hang in there till they can get you the right combo of meds. Yes, I know how frustrating that wait can be. But it is a necsssity. I know the despair and helplessness you are feeling right now. Rest assured it will pass. Not sure when but it will. One thing you said' racing thoughts' , I am by no means a doctor this suggestion is from my own experiences only. if you have a current doctor treating you please be sure to tell them about the racing thoughts and anything else different then usual no matter how trival, there is a possibility of a mixed episode. usually racing thoughts come 1. with hypomania or 2. mania. if your on the low end that rules those out. Leaving a mixed episode and those are torture at least for me.
Good luck and know that you are not alone. Although its true that for now Bipolar cannot be cured it can be treated.

Hugs, Angie
Old 03-25-2006, 10:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hey Sayalise,,

I too know Bi Polar to well.. I was diagnosed about 15 years ago, but at that time, they called it manic depression,, I didn't care for being called that, so I quit seeing that Dr. and went years before I finally saw another, and then the process began of me switching from one Psych doctor to another. I wasn't good, but sometimes we don't do things that are all that healthy for us..

Now that I have been re-diagnosed, and have accepted the diagnosis, I am doing what I can to deal with it. I too have been on the medication rollercoaster. Ugh.. That is frustrating, but ya know, you will get through this.. Ms Done had a very, very good suggestion for you, do you journal? That is a very good idea. It tends to help get some of the crap out of our heads. I can tell you some other things I do. I pray alot when things begin to get really tough for me. I don't know how you feel about this, but I can tell you that for me, it helps ALOT.. I also belong to a Bi-Polar support group. This group helps me alot, I mean really alot. You will find that there are people just like us out there, and they live sometimes right next door to us It is very helpful to go and talk it out with people that share the same issues that we have. Just like here on SR. The only problem is that I do have to pay for the group that I attend. It is held at a mental health clinic.

I do know though that the local alano club in our town holds meetings for people with mental health issues. If you look for a first call for help, or a United way number in the phone book, you may find that there are some type fo free meetings in your area as well. I don't know if this is something that you would even be interested in. but I know that it has helped me more than I can tell you. It doesn't even have to be a Bi-polar group, I attend a group for dual diagnosis as well, and that helps me out alot to. It is for addiction and a mental health issue.

I understand the depression, as I spend much more of my time depressed as I am also diagnosed with Bipolar 2.. I hate to say it, but I really like to have a bit of that mania.. The downside is, that I know when I am manic, I am just waiting for the floor to fall out from under me, because I know at anytime the depression will hit.

I do journal as well. Just not all the time. But it helps. So does reading.
Hang out, and type away, get the junkl out of your head.. It helps. Do what helps you, and is healthy..

Prayers,
Becky
Old 03-26-2006, 08:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am lke you angel...I think most "us" bipolars are we like the mania. The idea of a support group was good. Try to see if maybe you have a local organization called NAMI.
Usually the untied way will know if you do
Old 03-26-2006, 09:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Yes angie that was it NAMI.. The United Way is a great place to call.

Hang in there all,, we are always here for you..

Becky
Old 03-26-2006, 04:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keeping a mood journal is also good to take to the Doc. It can often help then be more accurate on the exact bipolar dx and know what phases you are going through and when. In my case I am what they call a ultra rapid cycler. Most bipolars cycle with the seasons.I often cycle daily. UGHHHHH